Colourful Thanksgiving Turkey Card

by Joanne James25. November 2014 09:36

Today's card is for another couple of challenges: I'm having a second entry over at The Challenge, this time using the sketch, and also this week's colour challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary, where this palette of rich autumnal colours was just too good to pass up:

This weekend my American friends will be celebrating Thanksgiving; whilst it's not something we celebrate in the UK, we all have something to be thankful for and today's sketch and colours gave me the perfect opportunity to have a little go at something I've been wanting to do for a while and since I know I have lots of American and overseas blog readers, this one is for you! Here is today's card:

A punch art turkey - how cute is he?! I've seen lots of different punch art turkeys on Pinterest and wanted to have a go at creating one using the Four Feathers stamp set and co-ordinating framelits for the tail. The sketch layout is perfect for my card, as with such a detailed turkey there really isn't room for a lot else! I used Tangelo Twist for my card base with a mat of Blackberry Bliss, then followed this with a layer of Sahara Sand as my neutral, to really allow my turkey centre stage. I stamped a number of the small feathers in each of the challenge colours onto the same colour cardstock for a tone-on-tone look, and fanned them out in two layers for the turkey's tail. The turkey's body is the body of the owl punch, in Early Espresso with the ears and feet removed, and his jowls are a punched heart, cut in half and overlaid on top of each other. I placed a piece of burlap behind my turkey to add a little rustic texture then stamped my sentiment directly onto the card base. I'm hoping Lesley will forgive me the centralised sentiment; I spent so long fussing over my turkey, i didn't revisit the sketch before I stamped and centralised my sentiment rather than set it off to the side, as suggested. Note to self - make a final check before you stamp!

I hope you like today's card - please do visit both challenge sites for more design inspiration from some very talented designers.

Back tomorrow with a triple bill: two creative posts and a new set of Wednesday Weekly Deals!

Until then, happy stampin'!

Melissa L Davies
Melissa L DaviesUnited States
11/25/2014 11:33:34 AM #

I just can't get enough of the adorable little turkeys made with the Four Feathers! Your card is absolutely darling! Love the addition of the burlap, too! Thanks for joining us this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 9:57:31 AM #

Thanks Melissa - I've been keen to have a go at one of these, and the CCMC colours this week, along with the timing, were perfect! Happy thanksgiving to you for tomorrow.

Deb
DebUnited States
11/25/2014 5:18:16 PM #

What an awesome turkey! I love the burlap for added texture! And those feathers are perfect! A great card for the season! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 9:58:30 AM #

Thanks Deb - these are great turkey feather colours! Happy thanksgiving to you for tomorrow - I hope you are set to enjoy a well-earned rest!

Nicole Tugrul
Nicole TugrulUnited States
11/25/2014 6:06:12 PM #

Fabulous punch art turkey.  The feathers are just perfect!!  Thanks so much for joining the color challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 9:59:04 AM #

Thanks Nicole - this caard was just so much fun! Happy thanksgiving to you for tomorrow.

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
11/25/2014 11:21:04 PM #

SOOOOO darling!  I love your feather turkey and the texture of the burlap!  Thanks for playing along with the color challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 9:59:59 AM #

Thanks Connie - these colours were perfect and it was either something with the 'stuffed with happiness' stamp or the turkey, and he won! Happy thanksgiving to you and your family for tomorrow.

Karen S
Karen SUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 9:19:29 AM #

Hi Joanne, this is my first comment on your blog, so here it goes - love this cute little turkey, he made me smile when I saw him! A great little character and a fun card. Best wishes, Karen (the Envelope Expert & Box Buster 'fan' you emailed yesterday, just using a different email address on here!?!)

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:01:29 AM #

Hey Karen - hello!!!!! Thanks for popping by and leaving a comment on my blog - much appreciated! Glad you like my turkey - I've been dying to make one of these, so thanksgiving this week seemed the perfect opportunity! Have a great day! xx

Debbie Henderson
Debbie HendersonUnited States
11/27/2014 8:56:16 PM #

Your turkey looks so cute and I like the burlap layer. Thanks for playing Create with Connie & Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/27/2014 9:04:24 PM #

Thanks Debbie - happy thanksgiving to you!

Pauline A
Pauline AUnited Kingdom
11/28/2014 12:29:47 PM #

Lol so much fun x

Lesley E. Croghan
Lesley E. CroghanCanada
11/29/2014 8:34:20 PM #

Such a cute card!!! Love the texture of the burlap and the feathers!!!

Kimberly Wiener
Kimberly WienerUnited States
11/30/2014 3:16:16 AM #

Just adorable Joanne!  Clever how you used the feathers as turkey feathers!!!!  LOVE the cuteness!  Thanks for joining us at The Challenge, so glad that you did!

Julie Gearinger
Julie GearingerUnited States
11/30/2014 9:53:56 AM #

This is adorable!!  Congrats on your win for the CCMC Challenge Smile

Nancy Salkeld
Nancy SalkeldUnited States
12/1/2014 6:09:02 AM #

Fabulous turkey card!  Just wow!  Thanks for playing The Challenge!  Come back and join us!

Current May hostess code:

UCPTF3WM

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Ornate Garden Early Release

Get blooming with an exclusive early release from our new annual catalogue. The Ornate Garden Suite is available from April 1st - for full details click here.