A Petal Garden Note For You #GDP139

by Joanne James23. May 2018 07:30

Today I'm sharing a card that uses the sketch over at As You See It that I also created with the Global Design Project theme this week in mind:

I was intrigued by the sketch at AYSI and thought I'd go one step further than the lovely LeAnne's card and not only use up some of my retiring DSP, but use it to create a kind of relief pattern that added interest to my main image - take a look:

Petal Garden - I had some sheets of Petal Garden DSP left over and most of them had a single stem image like the one on my card. I thought this sketch would be an alternative way to add interest to the basic paper pattern by adding dimensional panels in the same design. I really like the finished effect - although it did challenge my mathematical skills to ensure that all of the pieces were the correct size and correctly spaced, whilst the image remained aligned. For a card with very little stamping, the mosaic element was rather time-consuming - a good thing that I like jigsaws!

A Note For You - This card is all about the paper, so a small sentiment was the order of the day. I chose the simple 'For You' from the Graceful Garden stamp set, masking each word so that they would sit one on top of the other and fit into my 3/4" punched circle. I added a little of the new velvet ribbon beneath it.

When Is A Scalloped Circle Not A Scalloped Circle? - My sentiment needed a border so that it didn't get lost on my card, but I didn't have anything small enough to fit. Then I remembered a trick I have used on a previous card - I used the outer framelit of the wreath in the Santa's Sleigh Thinlits, circled below:

A clever trick! It's always worth checking your framelits to see if they can be used for purposes other than those intended :-)

I needed a 'just because' card and this one fits the bill nicely; it's always good to have a few of this type of card on hand.

Enjoy your day; I'm off to watch the cricket this afternoon so hoping that the sun continues to shine and it's a little less windy than last week! I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

23/05/2018 14:46:46 #

Perfectly lovely...almost like the eclipse card!  You must have had oodles of patience to line up those images so perfectly!  But the end result was definitely worth it!  It's beautiful!  So happy you played with our sketch too!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
26/05/2018 19:40:23 #

Yes LeAnne, I think I did have the eclipse card in my mind having made it the day before! It did take patience but I thought it would be a different way to add interest to the DSP - I always think this design looks flat on its own, but struggled to use it with something because of the corner image. This sketch was just what I needed!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
23/05/2018 20:06:19 #

Oh, so clever Joanne. I agree with LeAnne - it is like an eclipse effect. I can't even imagine how you went about getting all the bits so perfect when there was no die for it. Lovely, lovely, lovely. Thank you for joining us at As You See It Challenge.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
26/05/2018 19:43:38 #

No real secrets Jan - I used LeAnne's DT card as my starting point then actually drew it out on my grid paper and added the measurements (and gaps!) and checked everything twice before I cut! Oh and I cut the horizontals first. It was a little time consuming, but I was pleased with the effect.

Heather Cooper
Heather CooperCanada
26/05/2018 14:51:15 #

Way to think outside the box, er, boxes, Joanne! This is creative, clever and beautiful! You must have really needed major patience to figure out where to cut in order to line up the images properly to fit the sketch. I bow to you! Thanks for sharing your genius with us at As You See It!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
26/05/2018 19:45:14 #

Heather you are too kind! It did take a while, but I was pleased with the result too - I so love your sketch challenges!

Brian King
Brian KingUnited States
27/05/2018 22:45:05 #

Such a unique card, Joanne! I love everything about it, but those cutouts are amazing! Thanks for playing along with this week's GDP challenge.

Carolyn Campanile
Carolyn CampanileUnited States
03/06/2018 23:22:19 #

Joanne - Congratulations on your win.  My apologies for the delay in posting, its been a busy work week.
Your card is amazing and the time it had to take to make the cuts so perfect is mind boggling.

Current August hostess code:

K6VBCUXK

2018-19 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at joanne@thecraftyowl.co.uk or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.