Blooms and Wishes For The Paper Players

by Joanne James10. July 2016 10:00

It's Sunday and time for a new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's the turn of our fearless leader the awesome Nance to host this week and she has a colour challenge for us to play along with:

For my card this week I decided to use this week's Freshly Made Sketches sketch and took my inspiration from the Blooms and Bliss suite to create my card today:

Blooms and Bliss Colour Combo - The trio of colours chosen by Nance for today's challenge all appear in the Blooms and Bliss Suite and in particular the designer series paper of the same name, so I was drawn here for the starting point for today's card. Having ooh-ed and ahh-ed at the whimsical floral patterned papers, I eventually settled upon this rather bold, mostly Island Indigo, patterned paper for the base of my card. This pattern is great for a background as it doesn't interfere with the detail of the focal image and the watercolour-like flecking adds a softness to this otherwise strong colour.

Blooms and Wishes - I decided to create a randomly stamped floral panel as the focal point for my card, featuring each of the challenge colours and using the co-ordinating Blooms & Wishes stamp set to create an almost watercoloured effect. I used a combination of both first and second generation stamping for each of the colours to add depth and overlapped the flowers slightly too. This is the only place where there is any Sweet Sugarplum on my card, yet it performs an important role: without it the card would be perfectly co-ordinated, but rather flat. The addition of the warm lilac tones prevents this card from being too 'cold' and clinical I think. I finished with my sentiment stamped in Island Indigo onto Mint Macaron cardstock, for an additional burst of strong colour.

A Simple Oval - I don't use ovals all that often on my cards, but since the sketch asked for one here I thought I would follow it literally and do think it makes a pleasant change from squares or circles and is the perfect shape for my florals. I left it frameless to enable the white to really stand out against the background and added nothing more than a few pearls for a subtle embellishment.

The Blooms and Bliss suite is such a pretty set of co-ordinating products, with plenty of scope for artistic expression.

The Paper Players Design Team
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
Linda Callahan
Hannelie Bester
Colleen Begley

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing what you create with Nance's colour combination this week.

I am looking forward to a day of rest and relaxation in the sun today and some quality family time. Back in the next day or so with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
7/11/2016 10:31:32 PM #

Joanne, this is gorgeous!  I admire your random stamping of these pretty flowers--I can't do "random", lol.  Great idea to use a background pattern with a subtle print--it really shows off the flowers and how pretty the colors look together.  Lovely job, my friend!

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
7/12/2016 1:09:59 AM #

Your flower panel is lovely!  Random stamping is not as easy as it sounds.....I don't think!  That DSP is the perfect backdrop!  Pretty card!

7/12/2016 4:26:01 PM #

Love this!  So soft and pretty....perfect little picture for your "framed" sketch!  Sweet and lovely!  I am impressed with what everyone did with these challenging colors!  Although I don't know why I wouldn't be impressed...the Players are all so creative!  Smile

7/15/2016 2:37:50 AM #

Joanne, this is just beautiful!  I love the fabulous background paper!  Your "random" stamping is amazing!  You certainly made these colors shine!  Big Hugs!  XX

Colleen Begley
Colleen BegleyUnited States
7/15/2016 8:51:43 PM #

Really lovely, Joanne! I didn't order this paper and now I may "need" to. I really love that piece in the background. You've made that sketch look great too.

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
7/16/2016 12:52:48 AM #

Joanne, I love all the texture you managed to capture on your card - the background is fabulous and I love how you layered the mats to highlight the colors.  Fabulous
hugs
jaydee

Current May hostess code:

UCPTF3WM

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Ornate Garden Early Release

Get blooming with an exclusive early release from our new annual catalogue. The Ornate Garden Suite is available from April 1st - for full details click here.