Roses are Pink...Two-for-One Valentine's Cards

by Joanne James10. February 2015 08:00

Today I have not one but two cards for you! Both cards fit this week's colour challenge over at Pals Paper Arts, where there is a gorgeous colour palette to work with this week:

I absolutely love this colour combination and couldn't wait to create something pink and pretty with it. Here is my first card:

I layered the colours in two sections and in the central section used one of the lovely rose die cut panels from the Artisan Embellishment kit as a stencil and stencilled the roses in the two shades of pink, adding in touches of Basic Grey for the flower leaves. These die cuts are so beautiful - it's a shame there are only two in the kit! Here's a close up of the sponged area:

The form of the roses is just so pretty I think and looks really beautiful. I added a bow in luxurious silver satin ribbon and stamped my sentiment on the wide mat layer of Pink Pirouette, stamped in Versamark and heat embossed in pewter. This card is full of romance, but I think it would work equally well as a birthday card.

My second card today uses exactly the same colour palette, but is altogether a more clean and simple affair. This week the team over at Less is More is celebrating its 4th birthday and have a colour challenge of 'pink and grey'. Here is my card for this week's challenge:

My card started out as a two-tone pink and grey affair, with an inlaid split sentiment - I die cut the word 'love' using my Little Letters thinlits, then did the same with the cardstock the other way around top and bottom in order that I could paper-piece the reverse colours into the negative space. The more I looked at it though, the more it needed a little something else - I toyed with a scrap of Rose Red that sat on my desk leftover from the first card and the addition of the tiny heart with a tiny sparkle was just what it needed. You can see the detail of the die cut and inlaid letters below:

Congratulations to Chrissie and the team on their 4th birthday - you are an awesome bunch who run a most successful weekly challenge and are truly an inspiration.

I'll be back tomorrow with another card; until then, happy stampin'!

Card 1:

Card 2:

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
2/10/2015 3:20:28 PM #

Beautiful cards!  Love the soft flowers that you stenciled!  So pretty!  And the die cut effect on LOVE is very cool!  Thanks for joining us at PPA!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/10/2015 5:47:52 PM #

Thanks Linda - the first card is a definite favourite of mine too! I love those roses, even though the second card is more my style.

Sarah
SarahUnited Kingdom
2/10/2015 3:58:28 PM #

WOW! Love them both Joanne and perfect for our challenge yet both such different styles.
I think the stencil one just tops it ever so slightly for me as it's so super elegant.
Thanks for playing along with our 4th birthday challenge this week and for your kind words about LIM
Sarah
Less is More

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/10/2015 5:49:48 PM #

Thanks Sarah! I think the first one is my favourite too, although I worried that it was a little too layered to be really LIM 😊 You are welcome for the kind words - you ladies are so patient and encouraging, happy birthday wishes to you all.

Katy McGloin
Katy McGloinUnited States
2/10/2015 4:14:40 PM #

Joanne, I always look forward to seeing your submissions to the PPA challenges!  Both cards are wonderful.  I have been saving my rose stencils for the perfect card and you have just given me the inspiration to wait no longer!  Thanks for including the PPA in your stamping fun this week!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/10/2015 5:53:19 PM #

Why thank you Katy - that's so kind of you! I do love your challenges at PPA. I too have been saving my rose stencils - they are so beautiful aren't they? So glad my card has inspired you to put yours to good creative use.

Pat McCleary
Pat McClearyUnited States
2/10/2015 8:15:55 PM #

The 1st card is so very lovely, Joanne. The 2nd one is 'knock your socks off' gorgeous! Wonderful creations.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/10/2015 10:18:48 PM #

Thanks for popping by pat to leave such a lovely comment - you made my day! So glad you like today's cards.

Chrissie
ChrissieUnited Kingdom
2/10/2015 11:20:01 PM #

Thanks so much for you kind words Joanne, you're really kind.
More great cards this week!
Super designs yet again!
Thanks so much for joining our birthday challenge!
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Shannon Jaramillo
Shannon JaramilloUnited States
2/11/2015 4:02:23 PM #

Beautiful use of the colors this week, Joanne! Your stenciled roses are beautiful and the heat embossed sentiment along with the rich ribbon make it a very elegant card! I also love your clean and simple card, the heart is the perfect finishing detail!! thanks for playing along with the Pals Paper Arts color challenge this week!

Kerry Willard Bray
Kerry Willard BrayUnited States
2/12/2015 4:05:01 AM #

These are both wonderful cards, Joanne! I especially love the rose one though -- it is simply stunning! Thanks so much for playing along with us at Pals Paper Arts!

Carol Dunham
Carol DunhamUnited Kingdom
2/12/2015 10:46:25 AM #

Two gorgeous cards Joanne, love the stencilling on the first. Carol x

Sale-A-Bration 2021 Is Here!

Sale-A-Bration is here! Choose a FREE product with every £45 or £90 you spend between 5 January-28 February. Click on the image above to view the brochure!

January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue

The new Stampin' Up! January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue is here - click on the image to download your copy!

Current January hostess code:

BPQAZE3W

What's more, if you join between 5 January - 28 February during Sale-A-Bration, you will receive an additional 5 packs of colour designer series paper too - for FREE!

Stampin Cut and Emboss

The Mini Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today. Available from January 5th.