Colour Blocked Easter Daffodil Card

by Joanne James24. February 2020 09:00

Happy Monday everyone! The kiddos are back to school so I'm hoping for a productive crafting week! Today I'm sharing the other card that I made using this week's Paper Players sketch (you can see my design team post from yesterday here if you missed it) that was inspired by the spring colours over at CAS Colours and Sketches this week:

I bought my first bunches of daffodils last week and have been busy working with Spring flowers in my craft room for the last few days in readiness for my upcoming Spring Weekend Craft Retreat; it's pouring down with rain here in the UK again and I am so keen to see an end to Winter now! I'm ready to welcome Spring and these colours were perfect to bring a little more seasonal colour my way - take a look:

I stamped this stem of daffodils from the retired set 'You're Inspired' stamp set and coloured them with my Stampin' Blends and then created another colour blocked background using the three challenge colours and my stitched rectangle dies to sit behind it. These kinds of backgrounds are easy to create - my top tip would be to cut your three strips of coloured cardstock and adhere them to a piece of Whisper White cardstock before running through the diecutting machine; this keeps them perfectly aligned and in one piece. I added a heat embossed sentiment and some twine to my stamped layer to complete my card.

Daffodils are one of my favourite flowers; I love their sunny colour combinations and they are so cheery when the weather outside is anything but!

Enjoy your day; I'll be spending mine escaping from the weather and instead being brightened up with the colours of my craft supplies! I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Patricia H
Patricia HUnited States
2/24/2020 7:36:39 PM #

I love the simple color blocked background behind those pretty daffodils!  This is a fantastic CAS card and I'm so glad you shared it with us at CC&S!  Smile

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/25/2020 12:01:14 PM #

Thanks Patricia - I really loved these Spring colours this week!

Julie Peddicord
Julie PeddicordUnited States
2/24/2020 8:16:54 PM #

I love your use of the colors.  The blocked background is so pretty!  Thanks so much for playing along with us at the CC&S challenge blog.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/25/2020 12:02:03 PM #

Thanks Julie - I do like playing with colour blocking occasionally and it does make a striking background for a CAS card with a single focal image.

2/24/2020 8:22:47 PM #

LOVE these florals....perfect with that challenge color palette!  I am still working on the "white on black" embossing sentiments....mine do not turn out quite as well as yours, but I am working on it!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/25/2020 11:51:15 AM #

Do you use an embossing buddy LeAnne? They definitely make a massive difference to the quality of the finish. That said, I don't always get it right!!

karen h
karen hUnited States
2/24/2020 11:28:51 PM #

Beautiful card! Love the color blocked background! Thank you for playing along with us at CC&S!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/25/2020 12:02:20 PM #

Thanks Karen!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
2/24/2020 11:31:24 PM #

The stitching and twine are perfect little details. Love the colouring - it could be Moorcroft pottery!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/25/2020 11:53:06 AM #

Happy to take that compliment Jan - you are too kind!

Samantha Johnson
Samantha JohnsonUnited States
2/25/2020 2:21:33 AM #

This week's colors look fabulous with this daffodil image. Thanks for joining us at CC&s.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
2/25/2020 12:02:58 PM #

Thanks Samantha - I am wishing Spring in with my cheery daffodils, at least that's the idea!

SHANNON LORENZ HATCH
SHANNON LORENZ HATCHUnited States
2/27/2020 8:56:29 PM #

Beautiful card, the coloring for the daffodils is gorgeous and I love the pieced background. Thanks so much for playing along with us at CC&S

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current August hostess code:

CVAQTGE2

Spend Your Bonus Day Coupons!

Spend your £4.50 vouchers earned in July on your Stampin' Up! purchases before 31st August.

Paper Pumpkin Is Coming!