Bird Ballad Spotlight Friendship Card for PCC341

by Joanne James24. June 2019 08:20

Happy Monday everyone! Today I'm sharing a card that I made for my monthly technique class last week featuring the Bird Ballad Suite that uses the current sketch over at The Paper Craft Crew as the inspiration for the layout:

Paper Craft Crew Sketch Challenge PCC341

I was intrigued by the oval shape as I don't tend to use ovals on my cards often and I wanted to incorporate a few different techniques. This is what I came up with:

A Spotlight on Fussy Cutting - The Bird Ballad Designer Series Paper is beautiful and just like the co-ordinating 'Free As A Bird' stamp set, offers a ton of fussy cutting possibilities - no co-ordinating shaped framelits for these feathered friends I'm afraid! I fussy cut one of the birds and backed him with a Crumb Cake stitched oval shape. If you look closely at the photo below, you will see that I didn't remove all of the paper - for the really tricky bits, such as around the legs and branches, I simply coloured the paper with my Crumb Cake Blends marker to blend in with the background.

Background Birds on a Branch - The sketch shows some background stamping behind the banner and this inspired me to get out my watercolour pencils and add a very subtle row of birds using one of the stamps in the 'Free As A Bird' stamp set. I did some tone-on-tone stamping, stamping the image in So Saffron, then delicately coloured with my watercolour pencils and blended with a blender pen. Only the outer edges of the image are visible behind the oval, but I really like the way this detail adds interest to the background and spotlights the fussy cut bird and oval.

Stamp and Emboss - Once I had completed all of the stamping and colouring on my card base, I ran the whole thing through my diecutting machine and embossed it with the Subtles 3D embossing folder. The texture this adds is so subtle it doesn't distort the stamping at all, but adds an almost silky feeling to the cardstock. I love it! Some lace and pearls and a little envelope decoration complete my card.

Enjoy your day; I have a lot to achieve today so need to get on with it! I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

6/24/2019 1:43:18 PM #

Yes, these are perfect for fussy-cutting and so pretty to boot! LOVE the shadow stamping behind the main image...just perfect in those pretty yellows, too!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
6/25/2019 12:38:01 AM #

What a beautiful card! Great for a class too, as it's quite tricky to show off a stamp set that lends itself to colouring in as this one does. You have such fabulous ideas!

kimberly skinner
kimberly skinnerUnited States
7/2/2019 4:30:58 PM #

Joanne,
This card is wonderful!  I don't often use oval shapes anymore, and I love that you used several techniques with this one.  The texture and dimension you have on this card is really beautiful.  Thank you for joining the Paper Craft Crew this week!

Deborah Smart
Deborah SmartCanada
7/2/2019 8:22:59 PM #

A beautiful card, so soft and soothing with the natural colour palette. Thanks for playing along with our Paper Craft Crew challenge!

Terri Walker
Terri WalkerUnited States
7/6/2019 3:26:39 PM #

Very pretty card and lots of elements that go so nicely together. Thanks for joining the Paper Craft Crew challenge this week!

Bonus Days are back! Between 1-31 July, for every £45 you spend earn a £4.50 coupon that can be used against purchases in August. Read all about it here.

Current July hostess code: