Well Worded Birthday Girl

by Joanne James26. April 2015 10:00

Yay! It's Sunday and time for a new challenge over at The Paper Players. We loved your watercoloured creations last week; today the lovely Ann is hosting and she has a sketch challenge for us - and you know how I love a good sketch! This is the sketch layout:

So many possibilities for this great sketch, but I decided that today I had to go with a birthday card for 2 reasons: I have lots of birthdays coming up in the next month, so I need to get into a birthday groove, but more importantly, today the lovely Ann is also celebrating her birthday, so it seemed entirely appropriate. I have sent a card (not this one!) in the post, but I'm not sure she will have received it in time for the big day so I'm playing safe with a virtual one too! I decided to use a piece of Birthday Bash paper as the inspiration for my colour scheme, and paired this with a retiring stamp set, Well Worded:

I used Tangelo Twist for my base and a mat of Bermuda Bay, then used a split layer with Birthday Bash DSP across the top and Whisper White along the bottom. I covered the join with pennants in co-ordinating colours, then stamped my birthday cake in Tangelo Twist with Bermuda Bay candles and cut this out with my Big Shot and Oval framelits, matting it onto a slightly larger oval that I paper pierced using my piercing template. To finish, I added a final sentiment to the bottom corner using the 'birthday girl' stamp from the 'Hooray It's Your Day' set - this set co-ordinates with the project kit of the same name, but is useful for lots of cards and can be used for some fun personalisation - this card could equally be tailored to a 'birthday boy' and you wouldn't even need to change the colours. I stamped a trio of stars from the same set in co-ordinating colours to finish my fun birthday card.

So before you reach for your paper and inks, check out what our amazing team has created to inspire you this week:

The Paper Players Design Team
Anne Marie Hile
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
Debbie Mageed
Karren Johnson
Shannon Jaramillo

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than three challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I hope my birthday card puts you in a celebratory mood today - best wishes to Ann for a super day and I look forward to seeing what you make with our sketch this week.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

4/26/2015 6:40:10 PM #

Fun card, Joanne!  I am glad someone else did a brightly colored card!  I love how that cake fits the sketch so perfectly!

KarrenJ
KarrenJNew Zealand
4/26/2015 8:50:38 PM #

This is such a fun birthday card, Joanne.  These colors look so good together and I love that big cake!  Too cool.

Debbie Mageed
Debbie MageedUnited States
4/27/2015 12:38:11 AM #

What a festive birthday card that just makes you happy looking at it! I really love your focal point with the pierced layer behind it!

Claire Grantham
Claire GranthamUnited States
4/27/2015 6:27:33 PM #

Love your card, the colours are stunning and make me feel very summery! Cx

4/27/2015 11:55:57 PM #

Such a perfect card for our Ann!  The bright colors and that festive cake are perfect!  Paper piercing is always a favorite of mine!  Super fun!  XX

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
4/28/2015 12:30:05 PM #

What a fun birthday card, Joanne!  Equally as perfect for a boy or a girl.  Love the festive colors and the spot-on use of the sketch.  GREAT job!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
4/28/2015 9:13:26 PM #

So fun and festive, Joanne! I love these bright and cheery colors.  They are perfect for a birthday card!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
4/28/2015 9:48:10 PM #

What a great birthday card, Joanne! I absolutely love the colors, and that cake is so much fun!

Shannon Jaramillo
Shannon JaramilloUnited States
4/29/2015 8:54:13 PM #

What a great use of color for Ann's card! I love that birthday stamp and it's especially pretty with the pierced mat underneath Smile Lovely!!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
4/30/2015 6:26:21 PM #

Bright and fun..perfect for a Birthday! I really like that DP.

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
5/1/2015 2:55:51 PM #

I love this DSP and it's perfect with that fabulous birthday cake.  I love all the patterned paper and how you pulled it all together so beautifully.  Great card
hugs
jaydee

Current July hostess code:

PTWMKJED

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here