A Krafty Christmas Card

by Joanne James20. November 2014 12:47

Today's card has been made with a few challenges in mind: The Card Concept has the theme of a Krafty Christmas and a lovely inspiration photo and I decided to use the sketch over at CAS(E) This Sketch for my layout, although I'm too late to link up there today:

Since my design is definitely CAS, I am also using this as my entry for 'Less is More' this week where the theme is more than one tree. So, on to my card! I love the Card Concept inspiration photo and decided to use the idea of the punched shapes and colours on my card:

This sketch proved trickier to work with than I anticipated - I think it was all the angled lines! I punched a couple of panels of Crumb Cake with my retired mini tree punch and my star punch (I would have liked a snowflake punch, but alas I don't own one so a star had to do!) and backed them with Real Red and Whisper White, following the contours of the sketch. I stamped my sentiment in Versamark and heat embossed with white embossing powder. Then came the dilemma - I felt like my card was too CAS, as if it was missing something. I fiddled about and eventually decided to try it with a Real Red satin ribbon bow; I'm not sure if this then goes too far the other way, but thought I'd include both photos - perhaps you'll leave me a comment as to which one you prefer!

I'm off to school to watch a class assembly this afternoon - Rebecca is role playing the teacher today, so she went to school with her hair up in a bun this morning because 'that's what teachers do', even though I don't think I've ever seen one at her school with one! Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

Sarah
SarahUnited Kingdom
11/20/2014 10:39:13 PM #

This is striking, stunning and ultra modern Joanne
Think I like the addition of the ribbon too.
Thanks so much for sharing and taking part.
Sarah xx
Less is More

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:25:09 AM #

Thanks Sarah - I think I like it with the ribbon too, it just softens things slightly. Another great challenge this week!

Anita in France
Anita in FranceFrance
11/21/2014 6:34:26 AM #

So cool and crisp and funky, Joanne ... both versions are wonderful ... my CAS loving heart is leaning towards the unribboned one, although that splash of softly draping red is particularly yummy!  Thanks so much for your visit and sweet words ... so appreciated!  Anita Smile

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:25:48 AM #

I know what you mean Anita - you clearly share my dilemma!! Thanks for popping by!

Chrissie
ChrissieUnited Kingdom
11/21/2014 1:34:47 PM #

Brilliant card Joanne, what a great idea to use your punches this way!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:26:22 AM #

Thanks Chrissie - I was quite pleased with the finished result!

Julia
JuliaGermany
11/21/2014 2:14:47 PM #

Absolutely adore this card. The way you arranged the shapes is just lovely and the colors as so calming. Really sweet christmas card.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:27:27 AM #

Thanks so much Julia - I think this card has a real graphic feel to it and I agree the colours are a great combination.

Connie MacFarlane
Connie MacFarlaneCanada
11/21/2014 8:35:37 PM #

Great card Joanne! Love the CAS design.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:27:53 AM #

Thanks Connie - this sketch was calling for a CAS card!

Laura Jane
Laura JaneUnited States
11/21/2014 10:40:36 PM #

Thanks for playing at The Card Concept!
Your card is a great CASe of the Sketch as well.
I like the bowSmile

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:28:25 AM #

Thanks Laura Jane - I just loved that inspiration photo and when I saw the sketch, I just knew what I wanted to do.

anne
anneUnited Kingdom
11/23/2014 6:42:44 PM #

Super card Joanne, great take on a tricky sketch!
Thank you so much for joining us at Less is More
Anne
LIM Designer

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:29:30 AM #

Thanks Anne. The card did take a little longer to put together than I anticipated, as it was so important that everything aligned. I'm pleased with the finished look though, so well worth it!

Nancy L
Nancy LUnited States
11/26/2014 2:13:49 AM #

Great card!  Love the layout and the clever design!  Glad you joined the team and I at The Card Concept!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/26/2014 10:30:16 AM #

Thanks Nancy! I love your challenges and I couldn't resist this inspiration photo - it definitely spoke to me!

Current July hostess code:

PTWMKJED

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here