Monochromatic Pistachio Pudding for this week's Colour Me...! Challenge

by Joanne James6. August 2014 11:00

Happy Wednesday everybody! Today is a good day - the sun is shining again, my Autumn-Winter pre-order has arrived so I have lots of Halloween and Christmas goodies to play with, there's a new bunch of weekly deals (see earlier post here) and it's time for this week's Colour Me...! Challenge, where we have a monochromatic colour challenge this week using Pistachio Pudding and a neutral:

I thought this challenge would be trickier than it actually was. I used the latest sketch from the Deconstructed Sketch for my layout and inked up my new Kinda Eclectic stamp set which I have been keen to get working with - here's my card:

For my card I used a base of Pistachio Pudding, then layered one of the die-cut pieces from the now retired Simply Sent card kit in last year's annual catalogue. I added some Pistachio Pudding polka dot paper from the All Abloom DSP stack, then stamped the sunburst from Kinda Eclectic in Pistachio Pudding onto Whisper White and cut out using my Big Shot and Circles Framelits and cut the bottom third off the circle. For the central banner, I stamped the spots in Pistachio Pudding on the cardstock of the same colour, then stamped my sentiment in Versamark and heat embossed in White embossing powder over the top to add additional dimension. Lastly, I replaced the flags in the sketch with the butterflies from Kinda Eclectic, stamped in Pistachio Pudding onto Whisper White cardstock and punched out using the co-ordinating punches. I think the key to a single colour card where you are using one single colour plus a neutral, and don't have then benefit of tonal shades of the same colour, is to add layers, patterns and shapes for extra interest. If you're based in the UK and Europe, the Pistachio Pudding ink pad is on this week's Wednesday Weekly Deals List too and can be yours for just £3.71 instead of the usual £4.95 this week, so if you needed an incentive to have a go at this week's challenge, this is it!

I look forward to seeing what you come up with in the gallery this week - meanwhile, check out what the other designers have in store for you over at Colour Me and our new featured guest designer for the month of August.

Claire
Hayley
Julia
Sherrie
Tara
Back tomorrow with another project for you; until then, happy stampin'!

8/6/2014 12:43:10 PM #

Joanne, I am always amazed at your cards!  This is absolutely gorgeous!  I love the Kinda Eclectic  stamp set.  It is one of my favorites this season!  I love the way the Pistachio Pudding is featured in the sun.  I would have never thought of that!  GREAT card!  XX

8/7/2014 11:17:17 AM #

Thanks Claire - that's so very kind of you! I love this set too and was so keen to get it, although it's getting harder and harder to do something original with it given the number of fabulous samples that are out there in the blogosphere!

8/6/2014 10:16:12 PM #

This is awesome (as usual)!  I wondered where that diecut came from.....very striking with that set!

8/7/2014 11:19:56 AM #

Thanks LeAnne - I found a few of these die cuts left over from the kit and used them on a few projects this week and every time people have asked what tool I used! Funny that it was one of those things that got overlooked I think in the old catalogue, yet used out of context gives a little 'wow' to a card. Almost wish I had a few more lurking in the back of the cupboard! xx

Julia
JuliaGermany
8/10/2014 5:58:44 PM #

Love every single bit about this card. I always struggle with multiple layers and pulling them together, but you did it beautifully. What a wonderful inspiration!

8/10/2014 10:11:47 PM #

Thanks Julia - that's so kind of you to say. I find layers easiest if the card has quite a 'clean' layered style, I too struggle with something with less structure or more collage in style, I'm so full of admiration for those who can pull it off!

Hayley's Paper Garden
Hayley's Paper GardenCanada
8/11/2014 6:10:12 PM #

What a FABulous background die and I am in love with that new stamp set, the sun burst stamp is sooo cool!!!

8/17/2014 9:24:53 PM #

Thanks Hayley - I love this stamp set too!

Stephanie K
Stephanie KCanada
8/11/2014 10:02:19 PM #

I love all the texture and layers on your card - beautiful!

8/17/2014 9:25:22 PM #

Thanks Stephanie - glad you like it!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current October hostess code:

GVMFEJQ4

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!