Bright Secret Garden Blooms

by Joanne James3. May 2014 21:56

What a lovely day - the weather here in the UK today has been glorious! We went to a restaurant for family breakfast, I baked and I even managed to get a little gardening done today; all in all a great start to the Bank Holiday weekend. Today's card uses the sketch layout over at Freshly Made Sketches and the colour combination of clashing pinks and oranges over at Colour Q this week:

I based my card on the dress in the colour inspiration photo - here is my card:

I used the retired Pretty in Pink for the card base and stamped a border across the bottom in the same colour using the butterfly from the 'This Day Forward' stamp set to add some background pattern. I used a doily semi-circle for shape and used a trio of flowers stamped from the Secret Garden stamp set and cut out with the co-ordinating framelits. I wanted to keep the flowers bold and bright, so I stamped them on the same colour cardstock and then used my aquapainter to wash more ink across the petals. I tucked in some Old Olive leaves behind and finished the flowers with some pearl centres and a Calypso Coral statement bow.

This card is much more feminine and girly than my usual style, but I like the way it turned out.

Back tomorrow with another card; until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

Karren Johnson
Karren JohnsonNew Zealand
5/4/2014 3:24:12 AM #

Great job combining challenges!  Love the subtle shading on those beautiful flowers.  Thanks so much for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches.

5/4/2014 8:48:13 PM #

Thanks Karen! The sketch had me wanting to do something in an altogether more modern style, until I saw the challenge at Colour Q and that dress sent me in a totally different direction - funny how that happens sometimes Smile

Sylvia
SylviaUnited States
5/6/2014 2:01:23 PM #

What a bright and cheery card, Joanne! So glad you were able to play with us this week at the colourQ.

5/6/2014 4:08:54 PM #

Thanks Sylvia - there was something attractive about the clashing colours and like LeAnne I loved the dress!

Lisa Elton
Lisa EltonUnited States
5/10/2014 3:24:25 AM #

Love the ribbon, love the doily , love the pearls, PRETTY card! Thanks so much for joining us at the ColourQ!

5/10/2014 8:46:37 PM #

Thanks Lisa! This card is not my usual style at all - I'm never sure what to do with doilies - so glad you liked it!

Current April hostess code:

RDJNFTTJ

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Ornate Garden Early Release

Get blooming with an exclusive early release from our new annual catalogue. The Ornate Garden Suite is available from April 1st - for full details click here.