Shades of Purple Ornate Borders Thank You Card CCS412

by Joanne James23. March 2021 12:00

It's Tuesday and time for a new challenge over at CAS Colours & Sketches. Can you believe it was exactly one year ago today that the UK went into lockdown; my how times have changed in the last year - thank heavens for crafting! This week's challenge is a sketch challenge and YoonYoung has asked that we create something with three vertical elements and a central sentiment as our focal point:

Feel free to flip or rotate the sketch when making your card. For my card today I decided to use a floral border die in shades of purple for my vertical elements - here's my card:

Ornate Borders - Whilst designed for use along the edge of a card as the name suggests, I thought that the simplest of the floral borders would also work when layered into my design to create the three vertical lines of interest in the sketch. I measure them carefully so that they were placed an equal distance apart; I like the way that the flowers show through the colour beneath to add further interest to each diecut.

Shades of Purple - Purples are a favourite of mine and were perfect for today's card, where I decided I needed three complimentary shades of one colour, to maintain something of a CAS feel; I used the soon-to-be retiring Purple Posy, Highland Heather and Gorgeous Grape. I am also playing along with a new-to-me challenge, The Flower Challenge, introduced to me by my blogging friend, the lovely Michele Ferguson of I Card Everyone who has just joined their team of designers, where they are looking for flowers in shades of purple too. Mine are diecut as opposed to stamped (I think that's still allowed!) and if you are a purple-lover too, you should check out their gallery - there are some fabulous purple stamped creations to peruse!

Inside Detail - I chose a super simple 'thanks' from the co-ordinating 'Ornate Thanks' stamp set in a stitched oval for the front of my card, in an effort to increase my proportion of 'white space' and maintain a clean and simple feel, and finished it on the inside of my card, adding a flower made up from the pieces leftover from the diecuts on the front:

So what do you think? Is purple friend or foe in your cardmaking and how will you interpret those verticals on our sketch this week? I'm looking forward to finding out!

As a reminder, for our colour challenges, you must use all of the stated challenge colours. You may also use neutral colours; however, the challenge colours should be the most noticeable ones featured on your card. We use Stampin' Up! color names for reference, but you are welcome to use any other companies' products as long as you match the challenge colours as closely as possible.

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Deborah Wheeler
Deborah WheelerUnited Kingdom
3/23/2021 8:03:38 PM #

Really lovely - those borders work so well together

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
3/23/2021 9:11:37 PM #

That's a really pretty way to use the dies and the ombre is so on point. This is so elegant!

Vivien Hodge
Vivien HodgeUnited Kingdom
3/24/2021 3:40:29 PM #

Such a gorgeous card Joanne, thanks for sharing with us over at 'The Flower Challenge' ;) Viv DT xx

Vicky
VickyUnited Kingdom
3/24/2021 8:25:09 PM #

This is so clever Joanne and I love that you kept your oval very simple and focused on the background strips. Purple used to be a colour I couldn't be friends with but I have come round to it in the last 6 or 7 years and love it now. I was very disappointed when SU had the problems with Purple Posy ink and decided to abandon it! Vicky x

Susan Renshaw
Susan RenshawAustralia
3/27/2021 10:22:28 PM #

This is beautiful!

Kim S
Kim SUnited States
3/28/2021 1:44:53 AM #

What a lovely look with the three purples (and I don't even like purple!!)  The flowers are so sweet and simple - just perfect for the three columns.

January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue

The new Stampin' Up! January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue is here - click on the image to download your copy!

Current April hostess code:

3XTNB243

Stampin Cut and Emboss

The Mini Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today. Available from January 5th.

Sale-A-Bration 2021 Is Here!

Sale-A-Bration is here! Choose a FREE product with every £45 or £90 you spend between 5 January-28 February. Click on the image above to view the brochure!