A Spotlight on Dragonfly Garden CCS 403

by Joanne James19. January 2021 13:00

It's Tuesday and time for a new challenge over at CAS Colours & Sketches. This week Jeanne has a colour challenge for us:

I like all of these colours, yet for some reason I really struggled to create my card. Then the more I tinkered, the more my card strayed from the 'clean and simple'. Check out my card and I'll walk you through my creative process:

A Spotlight on Dandy Garden - I thought these colours would be perfect for florals, so decided to use the single large grassy wildflower image from the Dandy Garden stamp set. I decided to use the spotlight technique to highlight a small area of the florals with the challenge colours, with some no-line watercolouring on a rectangle of watercolour paper, stamping the main image tone-on-tone on a panel of Old Olive.

A Balance of Colour - I decided to use a Crushed Curry cardbase instead of white, with a panel of Old Olive; this base was run through my Subtle Embossing Folder to add some texture and create a seamless panel. I also added a border detail of Melon Mambo, for another touch of colour. Whilst I don't always use white as a base for a clean and simple card, the all important 'white space' is usually a single colour - my earlier card here is a good example of that. In hindsight, I think using all three colours of cardstock was probably too much and perhaps just using Old Olive without highlighting the flowers with an alternative base colour would have been a better idea.

It's In The Details - There are a number of small details that in themselves I love - the subtle embossed texture of the base, the Melon Mambo border detail, the tone-on-tone twine bow and the heat-embossed fussy cut sentiment. Again, on reflection all of these things together may be why my card feels less 'clean and simple' than it otherwise would be. So a lesson learned for me this week and hopefully as you're reading this a lesson in clean and simple cardmaking for you too! All that said, I still like this card and it's already been sent to someone who will hopefully love it too ;-)

The visual summary of the key products used on today's project for you to pin for easy reference is to follow.

As a reminder, for our colour challenges, you must use all of the stated challenge colours. You may also use neutral colours; however, the challenge colours should be the most noticeable ones featured on your card. We use Stampin' Up! color names for reference, but you are welcome to use any other companies' products as long as you match the challenge colours as closely as possible.

Enjoy your day; we woke up this morning to find that we have no broadband at Casa James and on investigation that it's unlikely to be fixed until the end of the week. Not ideal, when everyone is working at home due to lockdown and both James Juniors are having to follow a distance learning programme. We are managing so far, but seriously rationing access to the internet, much to the dismay of the teenagers!! Wish me luck!!!All being well, I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Vicky
VickyUnited Kingdom
1/19/2021 5:21:24 PM #

No internet?! I predict a riot Joanne lol!
These zingy colours are seriously cheerful aren't they! Love that pretty little floral spray Smile
Vicky x

Deborah Wheeler
Deborah WheelerUnited Kingdom
1/19/2021 7:46:28 PM #

oh my word - what a time for your broadband to go down!  Beautiful card - those colours really sing out.  Take care - hope it's not all too stressful. xx

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
1/19/2021 10:14:30 PM #

Lovely spotlighting, Joanne. This is really pretty. The delicate edging is a super touch and I'm always a sucker for a linen twin bow.

Jeanne
JeanneUnited States
1/20/2021 4:01:40 AM #

You have used the spotlight technique beautifully on this card.  And your watercoloring is gorgeous!

JulieP
JuliePUnited States
1/23/2021 4:27:55 PM #

First off....NO ONE should be without internet during a pandemic.  *gasp!*  Your card is lovely. Love the spotlight stamping and the pink scallops.

Samantha Johnson
Samantha JohnsonUnited States
1/24/2021 1:57:51 AM #

I love the spotlight stamping.

YoonYoung Kim
YoonYoung KimKorea
1/28/2021 12:57:40 PM #

The spotlight stamping is so awesome. I must use that technique later. Thank you for inspiring me!!

Sale-A-Bration 2021 Is Here!

Sale-A-Bration is here! Choose a FREE product with every £45 or £90 you spend between 5 January-28 February. Click on the image above to view the brochure!

January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue

The new Stampin' Up! January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue is here - click on the image to download your copy!

Current February hostess code:

QJBRZGPT

What's more, if you join between 5 January - 28 February during Sale-A-Bration, you will receive an additional 5 packs of colour designer series paper too - for FREE!

Stampin Cut and Emboss

The Mini Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today. Available from January 5th.