Garden Shed Birthday Greetings For Dad

by Joanne James1. September 2020 17:30

This is my second post today; click here to catch up on the important news of the day! For my creative post I'm sharing a card for a couple of challenges:

September is the month of birthdays in the James family (mine included!) so I have lots of cards to make. My Dad's birthday isn't until later this month, but I thought I'd get a headstart since the team at Just Add Ink are encouraging us to make 'Cards for Guys' this week and the sketch at Fusion gave me the perfect layout (I am using the sketch there this week and taking a fairly liberal interpretation at that, although I was somewhat inspired by the soft greens of the photo too) - take a look:

Garden Shed - For as long as I can remember my Dad has been a keen gardener - of vegetables, rather than flowers though! He has a greenhouse and a kitchen garden at home and a large allotment with a shed where he spends much of his time each day now that he has retired and more recently given up golfing too. He can while away hours pottering away, whilst taking shelter in his shed if it rains or sitting out front watching the world go by as he drinks his morning coffee with his fellow allotmenteers. As such the Garden Shed stamp set is perfect for his birthday card; whilst his doesn't have a straw hat adorning the outside and the exterior is more brown in colour than the one I coloured with my Stampin' Blends, the inside is full of paintings and pottery made by his grandchildren and is certainly filled with green-fingered creativity.

Family Party - I used a slimline card format for my card today, as I knew I would need a larger, customised sentiment and wanted to give my shed plenty of space to shine without being obscured. If you need a special sentiment for a relative, the Family Party stamp set is perfect - I used four different stamps to make my greeting and it fits just right on my card.

On The Inside - No more embellishments on the outside of my card (it is for a guy, after all!) but I did add a little extra colouring along with a custom greeting to the inside of my card:

I'm sure he will love it; I just need to make a Grandpa card too now and then that order is complete!

Enjoy your evening and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Jan M
Jan MAustralia
9/2/2020 11:14:57 AM #

Your skinny card design is such a perfect way to highlight this lovely shed scene Joanne! Your colouring is gorgeous and I love how restrained you’ve been in allowing the white space to draw attention to the shed and the memories this has for you and your family. Thanks for sharing with us at Just Add Ink this week.

Chantell Randall
Chantell RandallAustralia
9/2/2020 12:40:41 PM #

Oh lovely image Joanne - your colouring is beautiful.  I really like the card shape you have used.  Hoep you are well.  Chantell x x

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
9/2/2020 1:31:30 PM #

This is the first card I have seen with this shed.....and wow what a beauty!  Your coloring is spot on and it works perfectly as a slim line!  Gorgeous card!

Deborah Wheeler
Deborah WheelerUnited Kingdom
9/3/2020 3:43:11 PM #

what a gorgeous card with that shed - it looks perfect for your dad.  I hadn't really noticed that set before, so please stop tempting me!

Jaydee
JaydeeUnited States
9/4/2020 3:36:06 PM #

Joanne, beautifully done!  I love the colors.  I love the coloring.  Your dad is going to love it too.  Fabulous
hugs
jaydee

Stef Perry
Stef PerryUnited States
9/11/2020 2:30:29 AM #

What a terrific card for your Dad, Joanne!  I love the coloring of the shed and how it worked perfectly for that sketch!  I hope you all have wonderful birthdays this month!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current September hostess code:

ZMKAG7P2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!