Patriotic Union Jack Card

by Joanne James8. July 2015 21:53

This is my second post of the day - you can find my earlier post detailing this week's weekly deals here. This is a quick creative post from me today with a card I made this morning for a couple of challenges: another one for Less Is More's red, white and blue challenge and also for Addicted to CAS where the theme is 'patriotic:

My talented colleague over at The Paper Players, the lovely Jaydee, also designs for ATCAS and she chose the codeword for the current challenge. Whilst Jaydee lives in the USA, she is actually British so I thought that I would make a card with her in mind (oh, and the other current Brit of the moment, Andy Murray, who today got through to the Wimbledon semi-finals - woohoo!):

I used the extra thick Whisper White cardstock as my base and then paper-pieced a union jack flag in Real Red, Whisper White and Pacific Point. My intention originally was to use the letters that I cut using my Bigshot and the Little Letters thinlits, but when I lined up the letters the flag wasn't as obvious as I'd hoped and the negative space worked much better, so I used this instead. Fortunately I managed to do a reasonable job of aligning the letters, although it was quite tricky as the magnets in the magnetic platform have a tendency to make the letters jump about! A no stamp card too!

I hope you like my take on patriotism for today's card; I did contemplate making something more in keeping with my own heritage (I'm Welsh!) although my stamp collection has a complete absence of dragon stamps and punch art would definitely not have fitted with the 'clean and simple' approach!

I'll be back tomorrow with our new challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary; until then, happy stampin'!

Wendie
WendieUnited States
7/8/2015 10:58:34 PM #

Love it!

7/9/2015 1:56:43 PM #

Very creative!  I love your take on the patriotic theme, and how interesting that you are Welsh!  We have friends here in PA who are from Wales....he's one of the smartest men I know!  They must grow them very clever over there, LOL!!!  And I can sympathize with those little letters jumping all around the magnetic board...drives me nuts!

Sarah
SarahUnited Kingdom
7/9/2015 7:08:21 PM #

Fun, perfect, striking and sheer brilliance Joanne
Love the style and sentiment and I'm thrilled you've linked up at both Less is More and ATCAS.
Thanks so much
Sarah x

Anita Bowden
Anita BowdenUnited Kingdom
7/11/2015 9:29:43 AM #

Absolutely fabulous, Joanne.  A really bold design but still very CAS.
Thanks for sharing another with us.
Anita x
Less is More

Ceal
CealUnited States
7/12/2015 12:16:05 AM #

Fabulous CAS card, love it! thanks for sharing with us at ATCAS!

Anne
AnneUnited Kingdom
7/12/2015 5:22:55 PM #

A terrific Brit card Joanne!
Thanks for joining us this week
Anne
Less is More

anja curvers
anja curversNetherlands
7/17/2015 3:00:01 PM #

Great card such a clever design great take on the challenge. Glad you joined us over at ATCAS.

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
7/17/2015 7:58:01 PM #

Oh, Joanne.   You made me spit my tea all over my screen.  I absolutely LOVE IT!  I know Andy Murray would, too.  This really is an amazing work of art and I think you did a great job of lining up your die cut letters.  All that lovely white space surrounding the Union Jack makes my CAS heart happy, too.  Mind you, if it was a flag flying in England it would be against a gray sky!

Awesome!    Thanks for joining us at Addicted to CAS this week and big hugs
jaydee

Sale-A-Bration 2021 Is Here!

Sale-A-Bration is here! Choose a FREE product with every £45 or £90 you spend between 5 January-28 February. Click on the image above to view the brochure!

January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue

The new Stampin' Up! January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue is here - click on the image to download your copy!

Current February hostess code:

QJBRZGPT

What's more, if you join between 5 January - 28 February during Sale-A-Bration, you will receive an additional 5 packs of colour designer series paper too - for FREE!

Stampin Cut and Emboss

The Mini Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today. Available from January 5th.