Happy First Birthday Colour Me...! and 2015 Sale-A-Bration Sneak Peeks!

by Joanne James31. December 2014 10:00

Today it's a special day: the Colour Me...! challenge is celebrating its first birthday and so the co-creators, the lovely Hayley and Tara, are hosting a party to celebrate! As one of the outgoing designers, I was invited to choose any previous challenge colour combination and create a card for this week's showcase. I decided to go with the creative choice from week 5, which enabled me to use some of the gorgeous new 'Best Year Ever' DSP from the 2015 Sale-A-Bration offering; I also used this week's sketch layout over at Create With Connie and Mary, as this layout was perfect for what I had in mind:

As much as I've enjoyed making Christmas cards these past few months, I am so ready for a change! The colours of the promotional designer series paper and co-ordinating embellishment packs are like a breath of spring air - take a look:

I based the colour scheme for my card on the feature colours of the Best Day Ever papers - Calypso Coral, Coastal Cabana, Crushed Curry, Soft Suede and Sahara Sand, with white as my neutral - isn't it a gorgeous colour combination for Spring? I used two pieces of the same paper for my card, paired with a couple of blocks of solid colour, as the background for my card, then used another Sale-A-Bration promotional item, the 'Big Day' stamp set to create my focal point. What better than a birthday cake with a single candle for a first birthday?! The sentiment is from the same set. I stamped them both in Soft Suede, before colouring with my Calypso Coral and Coastal Cabana Blendabilities. Did you know that Stampin' Up! Blendabilities work with many of the standard Stampin' Up! coloured ink pads, in addition to Memento Black? Sometimes an alternative colour outline works really well and can give a different effect. I decided to create a little 'badge' to anchor my sentiment, using a punched circle, a number 1 cut with my retired Typeset alphabet Bigz Die (you could use the Perfect Print Bigz Number Die as an alternative) and a punched gold glimmer star. I coloured the envelope to match and I even created a fancy sentiment inside my card:

Both the Best Day Ever DSP and the Big Day stamp set are items that could be yours free with a purchase of £45 or more during Sale-A-Bration; Slae-A-Bration starts early this year on 6th January, so not long to wait now! I made this card to congratulate Hayley and Tara on their first Colour Me...! anniversary, however it would work just as well for a child's first birthday I think in this colour scheme.

That's all from me today; do pop by the Colour Me...! challenge blog and see what other birthday delights are in store. I hope you have a fun New Year's Eve planned - mine will be a quiet one - and I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

* Best Day Ever Designer Series Paper and Big Day stamp set available 6th January.

Melissa L Davies
Melissa L DaviesUnited States
12/31/2014 1:41:27 PM #

Love that you personalized your card with the addition of the number! Thanks for joining us in the sketch challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
12/31/2014 9:01:54 PM #

Thanks Melissa - the sketch was perfect for this added embellishment!

Nicole Tugrul
Nicole TugrulUnited States
12/31/2014 5:55:12 PM #

I love your birthday card!! What a fun sneak peek!  The coloring you did with the blendabilities is gorgeous!  Thanks so much for joining the sketch challenge this week from Create with Connie and Mary!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
12/31/2014 9:03:03 PM #

Thanks Nicole - I love my Blendabilities (they appeal to my inner child!) and I like the effect you get when you use an alternative outline colour as I did here.

Deepti
Deepti United States
12/31/2014 7:17:41 PM #

What a happy and colorful birthday card Smile

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
12/31/2014 9:03:34 PM #

Thanks Deepti - makes a nice change from the dark colours of Winter for sure!

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
12/31/2014 7:18:56 PM #

WOW...I just LOVE your colors on this and your coloring is just DELIGHTFUL!  Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
12/31/2014 9:04:06 PM #

Thanks Mary - I think this SAB paper is going to be a firm favourite!

Deb
DebUnited States
1/1/2015 1:37:35 AM #

What a sweet birthday card! I love the soft colors and your coloring is perfect! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

1/1/2015 11:50:13 PM #

Thanks Deb - another great sketch from you lovely ladies!

Margaret Raburn
Margaret RaburnUnited States
1/1/2015 5:46:51 PM #

Your birthday card IS like a breath of spring air with those fresh and airy colors!  Love how you arranged the papers and personalized it with a number! I too love this SAB stamp set!  Thanks for joining us this week at Create with Connie and Mary!  Happy New Year!

1/1/2015 11:51:42 PM #

Thanks Margaret - so glad you liked my entry this week! This is one of those 'really useful' stamp sets that I think will prove popular. Happy New Year to you too!

Hayley's Paper Garden
Hayley's Paper GardenCanada
1/5/2015 3:16:17 PM #

Love this fun fresh combo!!! Thank you so much for sharing a card with us at Colour Me...! for our 1 year anniversary Smile

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/5/2015 11:00:04 PM #

Thanks Hayley - it's so nice to feel like spring is on the way, even if it's only on our cards at the moment!

Current July hostess code:

PTWMKJED

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here