Minecraft Creeper Pop-Up Birthday Card

by Joanne James17. August 2014 08:00

Today I'm sharing my Design team card for this week's challenge over at The Paper Players. This week LeAnne is hosting and she has a clean and simple challenge to create a child's birthday card this week:

Those of you who follow LeAnne's blog, Wee Inklings, regularly will know that today young Miss Cassidy is celebrating her fourth birthday - hooray! having seen the other Design Team members cards this week, I can vouch for the fact that mine looks quite different to everyone else's! My cards today are not made with four year old girls in mind (nowhere near enough pink for that!) however as the mother of two young children, I make lots of children's cards. Whilst they are sometimes stamped, I am often asked to make something that reflects the current favourite game/toy/theme of the moment. Those of you who follow my blog will know I am partial to Lego and have created some great Lego punch art in the past (see my most recent one here), although this can be time-consuming and not all that clean and simple. Today though I am sharing two of my tried and tested punch art cards for young boys.

First I am sharing another of Ben's birthday cards from last week; this time, the one I made for him from his big sister. Now as is true for most young boys of his age, Minecraft is a game that provides hours of endless entertainment for him. I've made a few creeper cards that I haven't shared previously (creepers are the monsters that come out at night and take your life, so I'm told) - they really are so easy to make! - but I thought I'd share this one, as after a browse on Pinterest I saw this card and decided I wanted to make a creeper card with a difference. Here's the outside of my card:

A simple creeper face made from 1" punched squares, along with 2 pieces of 1" x 1 1/2", one cut in half lengthways, on a background of now retired Gumball Green (I think this is the best creeper colour, but you could substitute with Garden Green if you don't have any), then when you open the card, he really comes to life:

A simple pop-up - how fun is that?! This must be a record in terms of supplies, given that you can make one of these cards with some basic cardstock and not much else; it's also another 'no stamping' card - that's two in a week! Now I have to admit, as cards go it's not really my cup of tea, but then I'm not the target audience. The verdict? Rebecca thought it was awesome and Ben loved it, so if it ticks the box of the now seven year old, it's good enough for me!

I also wanted to share another clean and simple birthday card that I have made so many of, I can't quite believed I've never blogged before! All children seem to love shaped cards, and this cute Angry Bird is so easy to create using a few punches and a base made using the Circle Thinlits and the Big Shot:

A custom envelope from some co-ordinating Brights DSP made using the Envelope Punch Board and you are good to go. Two cards that are really clean and simple, quick and easy. Do pop over to The Paper Players to see what the other designers have come up with - I promise they will be quite different to mine!

It's Sunday and I'm off to town today to collect some frames for a private home décor class I'm teaching tomorrow along with a visit to the shoe shop for new trainers and school shoes for the children in readiness for the new school year. Still two more weeks to go, yet I'm sure it will fly by.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin!

Mike
MikeUnited States
8/17/2014 2:11:24 PM #

Joanne, although I wouldn't recognize a creeper if I ran over it with my car, I immediately recognized Angry Birds!  These are both adorable and I especially like the 3D when you open it.  Love it!

8/17/2014 8:58:54 PM #

I know what you mean Mike - I had to pay attention to the game before I had a clue what they were talking about - to me, creepers are something floral or at least foliage-related, but apparently not!! Glad you like the 3D - adds a bit of extra interest!

8/17/2014 3:42:17 PM #

Oh my!  Any little fellow would LOVE this card!  Although I am like Mike and have NO idea what a creeper is (my GRANDS are into Disney Princesses), I know this card would be a hit!  I do know Angry Birds and LOVE this card!  How fun!  Great job, Joanne!  XX

8/17/2014 9:00:37 PM #

Thanks Claire! My daughter is still a fan of Disney princesses (just!) - the whole pink and girly thing appeals to me so much more, yet Ben is in a class of 20 boys and only 2 girls so I don't get the opportunity to indulge as much as I'd like!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
8/17/2014 4:13:08 PM #

Kids will LOVE these cards! Lots of fun!

8/17/2014 9:01:36 PM #

Thank you Laurie - kids love anything that is 'of the moment', even something as green and ugly as this!!

Yapha
YaphaUnited States
8/17/2014 4:30:09 PM #

That is an amazing Minecraft card! I love the Angry Birds too, but wow, on the Creeper!

8/17/2014 9:02:17 PM #

Thanks Yapha - glad you liked my ugly creeper, he is at least like the real thing!!

Andrea W
Andrea WUnited States
8/17/2014 7:00:30 PM #

Fantastic cards! The best part about making cards for kids (and others) is you can customize them using things they love. It looks like you did that perfectly!

8/17/2014 9:03:27 PM #

So true Andrea - they look at you like some kind of genius when you make something unique that you can't get at the shops - I love it Smile

Amanda Bates
Amanda BatesUnited Kingdom
8/17/2014 11:31:47 PM #

2 awesome cards Joanne! And whilst my son would appreciate the creeper card most...for me it is the Angry Bird! The game might drive me nuts... But I love the Bird image... Consider them pinned...!

8/18/2014 10:38:33 AM #

I know what you mean Amanda - the whole creeper thing is nowhere near as cute as the Angry Bird (I've made these in all colours/birds, and pigs too!) but currently all Ben's friends seem Minecraft-mad, so needs must!

Donna Wakefield
Donna WakefieldUnited States
8/18/2014 2:11:21 PM #

OMG!!! I love your creeper. My grandson is soon to be 9 and having a minecraft theme party. He would be so amazed at the pop-up creeper in the center. Would you share how you created the pop-up portion?

8/18/2014 8:48:49 PM #

Hi Donna - so glad you recognised my creeper and liked it!! I will post the details of how I made the pop up - I have a written template so will update my blog with it for you later this week.

Kim
KimUnited States
1/18/2015 1:26:40 AM #

Has this been added?  I need to make this for my step-daughters 7th birthday this month.  Any help would be much appreciated!  Thanks so much!  Awesome card!!!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/19/2015 10:43:26 AM #

Still working on it Kim - almost there! Am aiming to get it on really soon!

Kelli
Kelli United States
8/21/2015 5:20:52 PM #

Any tutorial on the pop up for the creeper card?  I'd love to see a tutorial on how you did the pop up inside of the card.  Can you provide a link to the tutorial?  Thanks Smile

Julia
JuliaUnited States
6/4/2016 11:26:34 PM #

Can you please show how to make the creeper pop out card?

8/18/2014 6:51:37 PM #

Joanne, I am glad you explained your card...not having any grandsons, I was not sure what "character" it was, although I was sure it was SOMETHING!!!  LOL!  The pop-up part is too stinkin' clever...and I am sure it would be a hit with any boy!  Now, I DID know what the angry bird was, and that one got pinned to my "punch art" file.....GREAT take on that!  You are just so clever!

8/18/2014 8:47:02 PM #

You are so funny!! I'm just glad I made two cards yesterday - it seems Angry Birds are universal for all of us, whatever age, yet the creeper definitely suits a target audience!! LOL!!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
8/19/2014 9:49:29 PM #

How cool you made a Minecraft card (not that I know what that is, LOL!) I like that it's a pop up card. I must say that I am in love with the Angry Bird card, so cool! Both fabulous kids cards!

8/19/2014 11:03:26 PM #

The Minecraft thing is pretty much an unknown to me too Sandy Smile The Angry Bird is my favourite too - so cute and easy to create!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
8/19/2014 11:04:52 PM #

Ok.. I have no idea what creepers are, but I love your card!  I also love your treatment of the inside.  Great take on the challenge.  Love it!
hugs
jaydee

8/20/2014 10:13:20 AM #

Don't worry Jaydee, you're not alone - the creeper thing is particularly popular with small boys currently!! That's the main reason I blogged two cards this week - Angry Birds are definitely universal and not age-specific! Hugs xx

judy
judyUnited States
11/7/2014 9:17:02 PM #

Hi Joanne, Could you possible send me the directions for cutting the inside pop-up of the minecraft birthday card?  I've tried following a tutorial on splitcoaststampers but it's not working out.  I get so many ideas from following your blog.  Thank you!  Judy

Nikki
NikkiUnited States
1/15/2015 10:15:16 PM #

Your creeper card is amazing!! I actually found your site searching for a tutorial of the one you linked from pinterest if you have any tips/tutorials it would be greatly appreciated. Also your Red Bird from Angry Birds is VERY cute!!

Allison
AllisonUnited States
3/2/2015 2:11:38 AM #

My son is totally going to have a blow out if i show him this card! I have been trying to find out how to find it, but i cannot seem to find the instructions on how to make this. #craftymom

Lynn Rowe
Lynn RoweCanada
3/10/2015 11:09:22 PM #

Hi Joanne...wow found you in the nick of time.  My grandson turns 8 this week-end and he is a Creeper lover!!! I have tried searching for your pop up tutorial but have been unsuccessful.  Could you point me in the right direction please or email instructions. TySmile

Andrea
AndreaSpain
5/24/2015 8:29:19 PM #

Hi
I was wondering if you could send me the instructions on how to do the creeper card because my little brother loves minecraft and it would be awesome if i could give it to him. If you can send me the instructions in pictures then I owe you everything and I will keep looking at your page more often to get ideas

Please you´re my only hope

Buy 3 Get 1 Free on selected Designer Series Paper between 4th-30th September! Click here for more details.

Current September hostess code: