Make a Cake Quatrefancy Wedding Card

by Joanne James18. June 2014 08:45

Back so soon, I know - here is today's creative post! I'm sharing a card I made using the sketch over at Create with Connie and Mary this week:

I decided to use some of my retiring stamps and papers for my card and started out making a birthday card because the cake reminded me of Rebecca's birthday cake at the weekend, but by the time I had everything laid out on my desk I decided that the card would make a nicer wedding card. Here's my finished card:

I made a 5" square card and matted a piece of Quatrefancy paper onto Midnight Muse and a Pool Party base (I know technically the dots on the paper are Island Indigo, but since the dots are so small the whole thing still works, even though I've not followed the colours exactly for the rest of the card - what a rule-breaker am I??!) I then stamped a three tier cake with butterfly decoration from the 'Make a Cake' stamp set, stamping the base section twice, once in Midnight Muse for the stand and then again in Pool Party. I fussy cut the Pool Party cake out and used it to create the base layer for my cake. I used my oval framelits to cut out my framed oval and finished with a Mr & Mrs banner flag from the 'Banner Greetings' stamp set, a couple of double-stamped and punched butterflies to echo those on top of the cake and a strip of silver glimmer paper for just the right amount of sparkle.

I really like this finished card but despite where my mind started out it looks absolutely nothing like Rebecca's kitkat cake that I made for her birthday this past weekend:

If that's not death by chocolate, then I don't know what is - it did taste delicious though!

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
6/18/2014 12:30:42 PM #

WOW...so simple yet so happy!  LOVE the blues for the colors and the touch of shimmer is perfect!  Also LOVE that 'cake'!  Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

6/18/2014 5:35:43 PM #

Thanks Mary - so glad you like my card with added touch of shimmer and the cake!

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
6/18/2014 12:42:25 PM #

Pretty card for a bride and groom!  I love the touch of sparkle and the butterflies!  Thanks for playing along with the sketch challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

6/18/2014 5:36:30 PM #

Thanks Connie - I made it eventually! Glad you like my card and I hope it was worth the wait.

Deb
DebUnited States
6/18/2014 2:03:06 PM #

What a beautiful wedding card! I love the butterflies and the strip of glimmer paper! Gorgeous! And that Kit Kat cake looks awesome! Yum!! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

6/18/2014 5:37:45 PM #

Thank you Deb - glad you liked my wedding card today! As for the Kit Kat cake - shame you don't live closer or I would pop some round, it was huge and lasted for ages!!

Lisa Young
Lisa YoungUnited States
6/19/2014 12:12:52 AM #

I love your wedding card especially the color combination and those butterflies! But the real cake is even more impressive! I can't imagine how long that must have taken to put together! So glad you shared it along with your card in your post. Thanks for playing along at Create with Connie and Mary.

6/19/2014 11:51:38 AM #

Thanks Lisa! Glad you like both of my cakes in today's post - two quite different interpretations, I'm sure you'll agree!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
6/20/2014 4:22:13 AM #

What a cute card!  I love the layer cake and the butterflies.  Love the bit of silver glimmer paper just to give it some pop!  Thanks for playing the Create with Connie and Mary sketch challenge this week!

6/21/2014 9:06:45 PM #

Thanks Lisa! Loved this sketch - I don't use butterflies that often, so this card gave me the perfect opportunity!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current September hostess code:

ZMKAG7P2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!