Honeycomb Happiness Hello Chick

by Joanne James22. February 2016 07:30

Happy Monday everyone! I have a card made with a few challenges in mind today:

I was keen to try out an idea I had for this week's challenge over at CASology where the cue card is 'egg' and decided to use the open sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches for my layout. I've seen lots of cards on Pinterest featuring no-line watercolouring this week, so wanted to have a go using the little chick in the 'Honeycomb Happiness' stamp set, one of a number of Sale-A-Bration stamp sets that is free with a £45 spend before 31st March. I will also be linking up to SUO Challenges where the team are featuring Sale-A-Bration products in their challenge this week. Here's my card:

How cute is this little fella? I think he is adorable! I stamped my chick onto watercolour paper in Sahara Sand, then watercoloured him using my aquapainter and So Saffron, Daffodil Delight and Crushed Curry inks. The key to no-line watercolouring is to make sure that when you stamp your initial image you use a light-coloured ink that 'disappears' as you colour in. Having painted his whole self, I then proceeded to cover him up! I fussy cut an eggshell, also from watercolour paper, then coloured it with my Soft Sky ink and adhered it over my chick so that it looked like he was just breaking out of his shell. Some shadow and a sentiment finished this panel. I then added a thin strip of Everyday Chic designer series paper along the edge, having coloured in the pattern with my Daffodil Delight and Crushed Curry Stampin' Write markers, before adhering to my Daffodil Delight card base with dimensionals. I really enjoyed my first attempt at this style of watercolouring and I can see me using this chick in lot of other ways too. He will undoubtedly be useful as Easter approaches, but he would also make a cute addition to a baby card. The one thing I'm not sure about in hindsight is the strip of dsp - I think it's a little bold for the rest of my card.

Here is today's visual summary for easy reference:

That's all from me today; I'll be back tomorrow with a super cute project for this week's challenge over at Pals Paper Arts. Until then, happy stampin'!

Kelly Schirmer
Kelly SchirmerUnited States
22/02/2016 11:28:45 #

Oh that's adorable!  I have always wanted to try no-line watercoloring, and your chick is so fabulous!  Like a page out of a children's book!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
22/02/2016 22:06:38 #

Thank you Kelly - what a lovely thing to say! So glad you liked my cute little chick.

MaryJo Marshall
MaryJo MarshallUnited States
22/02/2016 13:47:33 #

This little chickie is sooo cute. Thank you for the instructions on no-line watercoloring. I am going to have to give this a try.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
22/02/2016 22:14:19 #

Good luck MaryJo - I really enjoyed it and can't wait to have another go! Hopefully I'll have another sample to share later this week.

Jen Timko
Jen TimkoUnited States
22/02/2016 14:53:05 #

Perfect example of the no-line coloring.  Love these soft, pretty colors and your little chick is adorable!  Glad you joined us this week at FMS!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
22/02/2016 22:17:38 #

Thanks Jen - another great sketch this week!

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
22/02/2016 15:01:23 #

Oh my I absolutely adore this!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
22/02/2016 22:18:44 #

Thanks Linda - it was almost a shame to cover his cute little feet and fluffy tummy with the egg!

Amy O'Neill
Amy O'NeillUnited States
22/02/2016 22:33:23 #

Very sweet!  It looks like you've got this new technique down already.  Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

Deidre
DeidreUnited States
23/02/2016 02:45:12 #

Great first go at the no line watercoloring! This is so cute and fun Smile Thanks for playing along at CASology this week!

Melissa C.
Melissa C.United States
23/02/2016 04:30:39 #

This is SO sweet!  That little chick is colored beautifully...almost looks like a painting!!!
Thanks so much for joining us over at CASology!  Smile

Julie Gearinger
Julie GearingerUnited States
27/02/2016 18:06:28 #

Wow, you did a fabulous job with the no line watercolor!  Love the sweet little chick with the eggshell- thanks for playing along with us at SUO Challenges Smile

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
27/02/2016 18:54:18 #

LOVE the no line watercolor look you achieved...and having the little chick in a broken egg!  I think this is the best card I've seen done with that set!  Thanks for playing along with the SUO Challenge this time!

Julia Quinn
Julia QuinnAustralia
27/02/2016 22:00:05 #

Yes, your watercolouring is amazing!!  And his hatching from the egg is an inspired idea!!  So glad you joined the fun at SUO!

Karen Barber
Karen BarberUnited States
28/02/2016 03:22:21 #

SOOOO dang adorable!!!!  I love it!!!  Thanks for playing along in our SUO challenge this week!

Designers Series Paper Sale - Buy 3 Get 1 Free

Designer Series Paper is on sale between 1-31 October: buy 3, get 1 free on selected packs. Find out more here.

Earn this fabulous festive stamp set for FREE when you host a party with qualifying sales between 1 September and 31 October. Find out more here.

Seasonal Catalogue

Click here to view and download a copy of the 2017 Autumn-Winter Stampin' Up! Seasonal Catalogue which runs from 1 September 2017 - 2 January 2018.

Current October hostess code:

769FVWR4

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

2017-18 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at joanne@thecraftyowl.co.uk or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.