Flower Patch Thinlit Thankyou Card

by Joanne James2. April 2015 08:05

It's time for a new Thursday challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary and this week we have a great sketch challenge for you:

Here is my card today:

I decided to make a simple floral background for my word with a trio of flowers from the 'Flower Patch' stamp set, stamped in Calypso Coral, Crisp Cantaloupe and Baked Brown Sugar. I stamped the large central flower first, then created a mask using a post-it note and the co-ordinating Flower Fair framelits to create a mask before stamping the outer flowers, so that they appeared behind the central bloom.

For my sentiment, I chose a 'thanks' cut with my 'Hello You' thinlits dies out of Night of Navy cardstock, but before adhering to my card I coated it in Versamark and heat embossed it in clear embossing powder several times, until it became beautifully shiny and glossy. One of those 'it looks much better in real life' moments I'm afraid, as the photo doesn't really show just how pretty this looks!

Don't forget to check out what the rest of the team have in store for you - we look forward to seeing your creations in the gallery this week!

• Flower Patch Photopolymer Bundle
  • Calypso Coral A4 Card Stock
  • Night Of Navy A4 Card Stock
  • Very Vanilla A4 Card Stock

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
4/2/2015 1:03:33 PM #

So pretty!  Love how the black is really set off against the brighter colors!  Great job with the sketch challenge this week!

Bridgette Jones
Bridgette JonesUnited States
4/2/2015 2:42:37 PM #

This is super pretty! I tried to do the same layering/masking with my flowers but I couldn't get it to look right so I went an entirely different direction. You clearly have the technique mastered! Very pretty!

Lisa Young
Lisa YoungUnited States
4/2/2015 3:40:04 PM #

Joanne, I really like your card a lot. And even though the shiny embossing doesn't show up well in the photo, I think that is a great idea and one I am going to try! Great job on the masking too btw.

Caseye
CaseyeUnited States
4/3/2015 1:40:34 PM #

Really like your card!  I have a question that has stumped me for quite some time.  How do you "adhere" thinlets to your cards?  Do you use glue, do you put them thru a Zyron machine, or......?  Thanks for your help!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
4/3/2015 10:25:24 PM #

Hi Caseye - thanks for popping by to leave a comment! I usually use Stampin' Up's Transfer Adhesive Sheets to adhere all my thinlit words to cards - here's the link to them in my store so that you can see the product I'm talking about: http://bit.ly/1P6aQOu
You get the best result by peeling back the protective layer and sticking your cardstock to it before you run the thinlit through the Big Shot, but I also sometimes cut out my word thinlit and then stick it onto the transfer sheet - when you peel it off, it is covered in tiny yet very strong adhesive dots. Great coverage, no seeping glue!

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
4/3/2015 7:05:01 PM #

Hi Joanne! Your little patch of flowers is glorious and the colors are so complimentary!  Navy and coral are so striking!  I admire anyone who likes to mask....although I LOVE the look, it's probably one of my least favorite techniques to perform. You've pulled it off perfectly!

Alison Barclay
Alison BarclayAustralia
4/4/2015 9:47:09 AM #

Great card Joanne! I just read your tip re the transfer sheets in the comments - fabulous idea!

Chris Slogar
Chris SlogarUnited States
4/4/2015 12:59:25 PM #

What a great idea to emboss your word to make it shiny!  That would make it sturdier for 3D projects, too.  Very pretty card!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
4/6/2015 9:24:30 PM #

Great card!  So many possibilities!  I can see this done up several ways...thanks, birthday, thinking of you.

Margaret Raburn
Margaret RaburnUnited States
4/8/2015 5:03:27 AM #

Your card is simple yet so elegant and striking!  The black word on the soft flowers really pops the word!  What a great idea to clear emboss the diecut words before adhering them to the card; I'm sure that shine really catches the eye in person!

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current February hostess code:

N7UTJ3DY

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Co-ordination Product Release

Step up your co-ordination game by purchasing these exclusive products that co-ordinate with Sale-A-Bration and Spring mini catalogue items. There is no limit to how many you can order, but they are only available 4 February - 31st march whilst supplies last! Read more here.