Yellow Happy Watercolour Poppy

by Joanne James13. April 2014 22:33

Today I'm sharing a card I made using the poppy in the Happy Watercolour set. I used the sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches for my simple layout and was inspired by the colours over at Create with Connie and Mary this week:

I decided to go with quite a simple design - here's my card:

I used a Daffodil Delight card base and stamped my poppy stem only in Versamark and stamped it onto my base card and heat embossed in gold, then did the same again with the flowerhead on a separate piece of cardstock, coloured it with Daffodil Delight and my aquapainter and cut it out, then popped it onto my card on a dimensional. I know poppies are traditionally red, but they come in all kinds of different colours, including yellow - which also give the card a bright feel.

Here's a close up of the flowerhead:

For my horizontal cross-section panel beneath the poppy, I used a piece of Watercolour Wonder DSP that features all of the challenge colours above. This is the only place where the green and orange features on my card, yet the colour works really well in breaking up what would otherwise be a rather monochromatic card. I added a few gold sequins to finish, and done.

If you'd like more ideas on how to use these colours, check out the design team inspiration - lots of great work on show, as always.

I'm off to take my juniors tenpin bowling with some friends today and then go and purchase some paint tester pots for Ben's bedroom redecoration - I love the Easter holidays!

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Cindy Hall
Cindy HallUnited States
4/14/2014 12:43:42 PM #

This is such a gorgeous card!  This is the perfect example of clean and fresh!  Love the super clean look, the cutout flower popped up for dimension, and the beautiful gold embossing and sequins.  Really pretty. Thanks for sharing with us at Freshly Made Sketches!

4/14/2014 10:27:35 PM #

Thanks so much for your kind words Cindy - the poppy really is the star of this card, for sure.

Lisa Young
Lisa YoungUnited States
4/14/2014 1:15:53 PM #

Beautiful! The gold paired with the softness of the watercoloring is lovely. Thanks for joining us this week at Create with Connie and Mary.

4/14/2014 10:28:28 PM #

Thanks Lisa - the gold really brings the colours together, for me.

Deb
DebUnited States
4/14/2014 2:42:20 PM #

Love the very simple design of your card! So bright and cheery! And those sequins are a perfect sparkly accent! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

4/14/2014 10:29:03 PM #

Thanks Deb - this is the kind of card made to make you happy!

Amy O'Neill
Amy O'NeillUnited States
4/14/2014 5:59:20 PM #

Love this!  Simple and gorgeous!  Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

4/14/2014 10:29:34 PM #

So glad you liked it Amy - a great sketch that can be used in so many ways.

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
4/14/2014 9:16:06 PM #

Love this CAS card that has so much WOW!  Thanks for playing along with the Create with Connie and March color challenge this week!

4/14/2014 10:31:04 PM #

Why thank you Connie! I started out with the intention of a much bolder card, but ended up with something more subtle - a nice surprise!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
4/15/2014 4:36:51 PM #

Love the gold embossing and the soft colors in the DSP.  What a fun spring card!  Thanks for playing the Create with Connie and Mary color challenge this week!

4/15/2014 10:13:17 PM #

Thanks Lisa - I love the CCMC challenge but haven't managed to get it together for the past few weeks; great to be back with you ladies!

Melissa L Davies
Melissa L DaviesUnited States
4/16/2014 12:30:03 PM #

Fantastically simple - my kind of card! Thanks for joining us in the Color Challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

4/17/2014 4:23:41 PM #

Thanks Melissa - much appreciated!

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
4/16/2014 12:31:33 PM #

I just LOVE the simplicity of your card and how you cut just the right colors from the dsp to use on your card!  Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

4/17/2014 4:29:41 PM #

Cheers Mary - the paper choice was inspired by the great design team cards this week. Love these spring colours!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current November hostess code:

469YSGD2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!

Share joy with the global Joy To The World Paper Pumpkin Kit! Available 3 November whilst stocks last!