Bold Simple Stems Birthday Card

by Joanne James12. April 2014 21:39

I've had a lovely day today with members of my team at our quarterly training day; it's always such fun to get together with some of the wider team and meet up with friends I don't see all that often. Today I'm sharing a birthday card that I made for one of my downline who celebrated her birthday this week. I used this week's Mojo Monday sketch and the colours and photo over at Colour Q for the inspiration for my design:

I love the bright and bold colours over at Colour Q this week and the pattern on the sundress had me reaching for my Simple Stems set again to try and capture those bright flowers. Here is my finished card:

I used a piece of spotty Coastal Cabana DSP from the Fresh Prints paper stack as my angled background, then layered three flowers as the anchor for my birthday flag. I stamped the largest flower twice in Tangerine Tango and once in Pumpkin Pie, and having cut one of the flowers using my Secret Garden framlits, fussy-cut the remaining two flowers into sections, then layered them with a Tangerine Tango base, Pumpkin Pie middle layer and Tangerine Tango flower centre. I then popped them up on dimensionals to give a real 3D effect to this flower. I stamped the remaining two flowers in Bermuda Bay, then overlapped all three flowers - this photo shows the layering really well:

I used a piece of retired Tangerine Tango ribbon for my bow - I was tempted to use white, but decided my card needed another pop of orange amongst the lovely turquoise blues, so there you have it.

That's all for today; back tomorrow with another card, until then happy stampin'!

14/04/2014 20:22:47 #

Wow, this is wonderful, Joanne!  Love those flowers...they really mimic the inspiration photo so well!  And that sentiment is perfect for the flag!  Thanks for playing with the CQC this week!

14/04/2014 21:42:11 #

Thanks LeAnne! I loved your DT card this week and the colour combo was just too good - I love brights!

Sylvia
SylviaUnited States
15/04/2014 04:35:20 #

Lovely and bright yet very CAS card, Joanne, beautiful die cut flowers! Thanks for playing with us at the colourQ this week.

15/04/2014 22:14:54 #

Thanks Sylvia - a little fussy cutting to give the flowers layers was well worth it for the overall effect.

Claire
Claire Australia
15/04/2014 11:26:38 #

Love the big, bold dots on your DP - they were so well with the flower and make a really strking combination! Thanks for playing along at Colour Q!

15/04/2014 22:17:13 #

Thank you Claire - I loved the colours in the challenge this week and took the big and bold inspiration from the gorgeous dress - great inspiration!

Earn this fabulous festive stamp set for FREE when you host a party with qualifying sales between 1 September and 31 October. Find out more here.

Seasonal Catalogue

Click here to view and download a copy of the 2017 Autumn-Winter Stampin' Up! Seasonal Catalogue which runs from 1 September 2017 - 2 January 2018.

Current September hostess code:

KJ9FSDMS

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

2017-18 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at joanne@thecraftyowl.co.uk or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.