B Is For Birthday - Happy 500th Birthday Paper Players PP500

by Joanne James19. July 2020 09:00

Today it's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's the turn of the fabulous Jaydee to host and this week it's a special one - it's our 500th challenge! Can you believe it? 500 challenges! Paper Players has been one of my favourite challenges ever since I started blogging; it was the first challenge I ever entered - that card was for the sketch challenge PP164 and you can see my card here if you'd like a trip down memory lane. I've been designing with this fabulous team since challenge PP203 (you can see that card here) and they seriously are a special bunch!

It's clean and simple week and in light of our milestone we simply had to go with a celebratory theme:

I combined our theme with this week's colours over at The Spot and the sketch over at CAS Colours and Sketches and came up with a fun birthday card - take a look:

REMEMBER THIS IS CLEAN AND SIMPLE WEEK - What do we mean by Clean and Simple?

• Minimal layers and embellishments
  • Plenty of open space, aka "white" space
  • Simple and uncluttered

With that in mind, here's the low-down on today's card:

B Is For... - I used the new set 'Monogram Messages' to spell out my birthday greeting today and thought the colours over at The Spot were perfect for a bold and colourful birthday card for a discerning teenage girl - and I have lots of those to make cards for these days! I heat embossed my greeting in gold on black and layered my oval on a scalloped one of gold foil. I used a few layers on today's card but I kept my design clean with blocks of colour to maintain the CAS feel.

A Rainbow Glimmer Tip - I added a couple of glimmer balloons punched with my Balloon Bouquet punch, one in Magenta Madness and one in Pool Party - I just love the effect of all that sparkle! I have a little tip for you when punching glimmer paper: if you gently run a Stampin' Blend in a co-ordinating colour around the edge, it will colour any white fibres and blend the edge perfectly with the glitter on the front of the card. I added a couple of gold twine bows and threads too.

Don't Forget The Inside - I added a sentiment from 'Zany Zebras' to the inside of my card, along with a couple of stamped balloons with hand-drawn strings to continue the party feel:

I love this funky colour scheme and simple layout - perfect for a clean and simple yet special birthday card.

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

Enjoy your day; the weather is due to change and we are expecting rain here today, so we may be restricted to indoor activities although we have no special plans - sometimes that is the best kind of day. I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Teneale Williams
Teneale WilliamsAustralia
7/19/2020 11:53:11 AM #

Goodness, I am impressed you have been able to combine three challenges into one! I struggle with just one challenge sometimes. You have done a great job using all three.

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
7/19/2020 4:07:41 PM #

Woo hoo! Nothing like sparkly balloons to celebrate a birthday!  Way to combine challenges, too. I especially love how you wrapped the strings of the balloons behind the oval...it's a perfect detail!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
7/19/2020 7:00:40 PM #

The balloons are very festive and fun! Great celebration card!!!

Deborah Wheeler
Deborah WheelerUnited Kingdom
7/19/2020 8:25:40 PM #

thats so effective.  Love the way you've combined the colours on the card

Samantha Johnson
Samantha JohnsonUnited States
7/21/2020 3:21:41 AM #

What a darling card, great take on the sketch. Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S.

YoonYoung Kim
YoonYoung KimKorea
7/22/2020 11:56:59 AM #

Wow! The sparkling balloons are so beautiful! The "B"old message is also great! Thank you for playing along with CC&S challenge.

LEANNE M PUGLIESE
LEANNE M PUGLIESEUnited States
7/22/2020 2:32:15 PM #

This is a perfect card to celebrate 500 challenges...and look at you, incorporating those challenging colors in there as well!  Awesome inside and out!

Stef Perry
Stef PerryUnited States
7/22/2020 10:31:20 PM #

Sparkly balloons are definitely a fabulous way to celebrate a birthday!  You hit all three challenges beautifully, Joanne (love the color palette for this card). Isn't it fun to go back and look at our old cards (and many of mine make me cringe a wee bit now LOL!).  The oldest of my cards I could find for participating in the Player's challenges was PP61 back in August 2011. So many years and challenges ago!

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
7/22/2020 10:58:19 PM #

Great colors and I am loving all the glitz!  Happy 500 my friend!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
7/24/2020 12:13:22 PM #

Joanne, I love the colors, the sparkle, the way you arrange your balloons, the gold twine and the fabulous take on the sketch.  This is certainly a fabulous CAS celebration card.  It was so fun going back to look at your first PP card.  What I hadn't realized is that it was the first time you had ever entered a challenge!  Oh... and Dasher... I'd forgotten about that fabulous image.  So honored to have been crafting beside you at the Players for so many challenges
hugs
jaydee

Allisa
AllisaUnited States
7/24/2020 4:38:39 PM #

Great CAS card, love the glimmer paper!

7/24/2020 4:52:49 PM #

I m honored to craft with you each week and you know I have always been a huge fan of yours!  I love that we both made baby cards!  I love all the pink and those sparkly balloons are fantastic!  Have a great weekend, My Friend!

Mary Deatherage
Mary DeatherageUnited States
7/24/2020 8:17:19 PM #

VERY fun card - love how you've layered the balloon strings behind the sentiment - perfect design choice!!  And congrats on 500 challenges!  Thanks for letting me play along this year! Smile

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
7/25/2020 4:48:59 AM #

Gorgeous mix of colors and I love the pop of gold! SO excited to celebrate Challenge 500 with you this week, my friend. Big hugs!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current October hostess code:

GVMFEJQ4

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!