Paper Players Guest Designer Announcement - And A Happy Day Card!

by Joanne James25. June 2014 13:00

Today I was all set to share the card I made for this week’s challenge over at The Paper Players, where Nance has this great sketch for us to work with:

But before I get to my card, there is an exciting news announcement over on the Paper Players blog today involving yours truly: I have been asked to feature as one of their guest designers, starting July 6th - how great is that?!

I am excited and truly honoured that this wonderful bunch of papercrafters have asked me to join them for a three month period through to September. You can check out the details and the other guest designers that will be featuring at the same time by clicking on the link here and you will of course be able to see my weekly submissions right here on my blog in weeks to come.

Anyway - back to today's card! I love a good sketch challenge and Nance's sketch can be used in so many ways. Given that we are transitioning between catalogues, my choices for my card today were driven by the (relatively!) fewer stamps that I currently have in my collection and also a desire to use another piece of Designer Series Paper that hasn’t yet made the cut – here’s my card:

I decided to use the ‘Oh Happy Day’ stamp from the Starburst Sayings stamp set and wanted to use the bold black and white zebra-like pattern from the Kaleidescope DSP set; this layout allows for the use of a bold patterned paper without it overwhelming the rest of the card. Black and white alone was a little stark for me though – but I had the perfect antidote with a burst of Melon Mambo, a great hot pink to liven things up a bit! I used the black and white DSP for my central panel, matting this on a piece of Basic Black and then a strip of Melon Mambo, before adhering to my Basic Black card base. I stamped my sentiment focal point in Versamark on Basic Black and then heat embossed in Melon Mambo, which adds great texture and sheen, and cut out using the co-ordinating framelit. I then popped the starburst onto a Melon Mambo circle cut with my Circle Framelits using dimensionals to give added depth. I also decided this card was worthy of some serious ‘bling’ and adhered small rhinestones to each of the circles on the word ‘happy’ – this made this card so sparkly! To finish, I added two small banners cut with framelits as per the sketch, finished with a Melon Mambo button and a few extra rhinestones for good measure.

I think this card has a real ‘rock chick’ feel to it and would be great for an uber-cool teenager; I have a very discerning teenage niece that this card will be perfect for and as her birthday isn’t until October, I guess that makes me look super organised too – win, win! Or I could just send it to myself since today is indeed a happy day, given the announcement that I am going to be a Paper Players Guest Designer - yay! Decisions, decisions....

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin’!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
6/26/2014 1:48:54 PM #

Oh happy day, you really rocked my sketch with this one Joanne!  LOVE the rocker chick vibe and the rhinestones look like a lighted marquee.  Great color combination and awesome use of this bold DSP.  Congratulations on your GD gig--we are so happy to have you!  Thank you for joining the fun at The Paper Players!

6/27/2014 9:13:20 AM #

Thanks Nance - I'm so excited to be guesting with you all at The Paper Players - you all rock!!

Papers & Stamps
Papers & StampsGermany
6/26/2014 5:12:56 PM #

Lovely... I like your interpretation of the sketch...
Mandy
(http://papersandstamps.de)

6/27/2014 9:14:09 AM #

Thanks Mandy - thanks for popping by to leave a little comment, glad you like my card!

Chris
ChrisUnited Kingdom
6/27/2014 2:13:52 PM #

Hi Joanne,  congratulations on being invited as a guest designer on paper players.  You deserve it as your work and creativity is second to none.  Sorry I won't be able to make the launch on 30th June but I'll be thinking of you.  Chris x

6/27/2014 10:27:12 PM #

Thanks Chris - so kind of you! We will miss you on Monday but never fear - I will have a personal tour of the new catalogue for you the following week! xx

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
6/27/2014 4:27:26 PM #

Wow, great bold card, Joanne! Love the black/ white/ melon combo and the graphic patterned paper! Thanks for playing along with us this week and I'm so excited you'll be joining us as a GD at The Paper Players!

6/27/2014 10:28:02 PM #

Thanks Sandy - I am so excited to be GD with such a talented bunch and really looking forward to it xx

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
6/28/2014 5:00:37 AM #

Happy day, indeed! You had me at pink and sparkly bling! I am so excited that you are joining us at the Paper Players for the next 3 months. Looking forward to working with you! Smile

6/28/2014 2:12:49 PM #

Thanks Anne Marie - you can't beat a little bling every now and again, and guesting with the Paper Players is reason enough to celebrate!

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current February hostess code:

N7UTJ3DY

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Co-ordination Product Release

Step up your co-ordination game by purchasing these exclusive products that co-ordinate with Sale-A-Bration and Spring mini catalogue items. There is no limit to how many you can order, but they are only available 4 February - 31st march whilst supplies last! Read more here.