Wishing You Well Thanksgiving Wreath PP417

by Joanne James4. November 2018 09:00

Today it's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players - yay! It's the turn of my wonderful friend Claire to host this week and she has a timely theme challenge for you to work with that I know she would love you to play along with:

I know that Claire loves Thanksgiving and whilst it isn't something we celebrate here in the UK, the underlying theme of being grateful and thankfulness is one we should all celebrate. I used both the sketch layout and photo inspiration over at Fusion and CASual Fridays as starting points for today's card: warm autumn leaves and wood textures feature heavily on my card this week - take a look:

Textured Layers -  I wanted to create texture on my card and did something quite unusual for me: used not one, but two embossing folders on my background panels. To recreate the grey weatherboard effect, I used my Simple Stripes embossing folder on a panel of Smoky Slate. For my feature panel, I used a piece of Wood Textures Designer Series Paper and added further texture by running this through my Pinewood Planks embossing folder. I love the effect this gives - it adds so much interest and detail.

A Wreath of Twigs and Leaves - I stamped the wreath from the Wishing You Well stamp set in Early Espresso onto a stitched circle of Very Vanilla and punched out the middle using my 1 1/4"  circle punch, so that more of the textured wood panel could be seen. I coloured a selection of pearls in various sizes with my Pumpkin Pie, Daffodil Delight and Cajun Craze Blends markers to suggest leaves and then added a trio of actual leaves cut with my Seasonal Layers Thinlits to frame my sentiment (I sponged the edges of the leaves to add depth).

Something For The Thanksgiving Table - When I started my card, I wanted to create a wreath like the one in the Fusion inspiration photo. I made a wreath in autumnal colours using my sprig punch that I really loved, but when it came to adding it to my card, it was a little too bulky so I went back to the drawing board. I didn't want my punched wreath to go to waste though, so instead I attached it to a band of Very Vanilla stamped with my Buffalo Check stamp in Crushed Curry, added a banner sentiment and a braided linen twine bow and made a napkin ring - perfect for the Thanksgiving table. Here's a photo of my finished napkin ring:

I'm linking my napkin ring up with the ladies over at SUO Challenges where they are looking for home decor items for the Thanksgiving table. This was so easy to make yet really effective - you could make a while bunch of these to decorate the Thanksgiving table in a relatively short space of time.

The Paper Players Design Team
Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

Enjoy your day; it is the last day of the James Juniors' half term and there is hockey to be played along with a little down time before the return to school tomorrow. I'll be back here tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Stampin' Up! Supplies Used - For the card:

Stampin' Up! Supplies Used - For the napkin ring:

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
11/4/2018 6:50:22 PM #

How beautiful! I LOVE that napkin ring too..that wreath is gorgeous!

11/5/2018 1:04:31 AM #

This is so pretty...now why did I never think to CUT OUT my wreaths?  I must try this myself!  Love your sweet little creation!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
11/5/2018 6:48:42 AM #

I'm loving the various textures you've used in the card. Creating the wreath by taking out the centre of the circle is inspirational and it looks fabulous. Love the wreath napkin ring too - that wreath looks as good in autumn tones as it does in Christmas colours.

Julia Quinn
Julia QuinnAustralia
11/6/2018 7:20:40 AM #

I love the colours and the sprig wreath and the coordinating card too.  Stunning projects.  What a brilliant project for our Thanksgiving challenge!!  So glad you joined in the fun with us at SUO Challenges!!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
11/6/2018 3:01:13 PM #

Oh, wow, Joanne! I love the texture on this card.  The wood pattern and colors give such a wonderful fall, rustic feel! The napkin ring is adorable! Great projects!!!

11/6/2018 5:31:25 PM #

Joanne, this is so gorgeous!  I love the texture, the wood grain and the beautiful wreath!  The sentiment is just perfect, too!  The napkin ring is amazing!  I need those for my Thanksgiving table!  You certainly made my challenge shine, My Friend!  Enjoy the rest of your week!  XX

Amy Brown
Amy BrownUnited States
11/6/2018 11:53:28 PM #

Simply beautiful! Thanks for sharing with us at CAS-ual Fridays! ~Amy

Elizabeth Stewart
Elizabeth StewartUnited States
11/7/2018 4:28:58 PM #

Joanne... absolutely fabulous layout for your wreath... just great!

sandym
sandymUnited States
11/7/2018 7:45:08 PM #

Joanne, your card with it's beautiful wreath and texture is gorgeous, but I'm totally smitten by the napkin ring! Just fabulous!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
11/9/2018 2:22:43 PM #

Joanne, I love the texture on your card - it really does remind me of a fall wreath on a barn door!   I am obsessed with your napkin ring holder, too!   Fabulous projects.
hugs
jaydee

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: