Beautiful Boughs Meets Rooted in Nature for a Woodland Christmas PP466

by Joanne James3. November 2019 09:00

Today it's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's the turn of the fabulous Anne Marie to host this week and she has a fun theme challenge for you to work with:

I had a few ideas for Ann Marie's 'woodsy' theme today and decided to really go all-out to incorporate as many wood-themed elements into my card as possible. I decided to continue with another Christmas card to add to my collection and ended up creating something a little different (for me!) - take a look:

Knock on Wood - My card has lots of elements that tie in to the wood theme: some woodland background dry embossing, a panel of retired Wood Textures DSP, the tree trunk stamp from Rooted in Nature (stamped in Crumb Cake and then sponged with Early Espresso around the edge), as well as some greenery and a couple of pine cones that could easily be spotted on a walk through the woods.

Texture, Texture - There are lots of layers and textural elements on today's card too: in addition to the dry embossing, I added shimmery white embossing paste to my greenery for  textured snow and the glimmer paper and twine bow also adds contrast. I originally started out using Jen's sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches (you can see that sketch here), but ended up adding so many layers and bits and pieces I rather lost my usual 'clean' look. Whilst I love the finished result, I will need to go back to the drawing board if I'm to put in an FMS entry this week!

Woodland Sparkle - All that wood made for a rather neutral card, with only the greens adding colour to the mix of browns. I decided to add a silver glimmer 'merry' diecut for some festive sparkle, along with some frosted epoxy droplet 'berries' and a silver and linen twine bow. I really like the finished effect.

I'm also linking up today's card to the Festive Friday Challenge (my card features silver, wood, texture, circles and green from the inspo list) and the challenge over at Paper Craft Crew where I went across the middle of the board: embossing paste/rustic/gone wild and the top left-bottom right diagonal: found in the forest/rustic/sponging)

The Paper Players Design Team
Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

Enjoy your day; we are enjoying the last day of the half-term holiday before returning the school tomorrow. We have some hockey planned and a trip to the farm shop, along with preparations for my classes this week. I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Karen Henderson
Karen HendersonUnited Kingdom
11/3/2019 5:38:31 PM #

Joanne, I adore this card. I love all the little elements and all the texture.
It's absolutely gorgeous.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:34:05 PM #

Thanks Karen! It's a little different for me, but I am pleased with the finished result!

Donna Wakefield
Donna WakefieldUnited States
11/3/2019 6:37:06 PM #

I love this card. All the rustic wood elements work so well together. I have that wood DSP but haven't really known what to do with it. Thanks for the inspiration.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:35:14 PM #

Thanks for your kind words Donna - I'm so glad this card has given you a few ideas! I haven't use this pattern or the one on the reverse before for the same reason -I might make a few more of these to use up my leftovers too!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
11/3/2019 8:13:11 PM #

This is awesome! I love that rustic feel to your card...very festive too!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:35:26 PM #

Thanks Laurie!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
11/4/2019 12:03:09 AM #

WOW! This is absolutely stunning, Joanne! I love the sparkle against the wood! The boughs are the perfect pop of color. Great card!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:36:34 PM #

Thanks Ann - I felt it was a bit flat with all the neutral colour, so the sparkle, gems and embossing paste added just enough to make it look more festive!

Wanda Cullen
Wanda CullenUnited States
11/4/2019 2:03:55 AM #

This is such a gorgeous woodsy card and a unique take on the theme! Love it!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:36:45 PM #

Thanks Wanda!

Su Mohr
Su MohrUnited States
11/4/2019 3:43:21 AM #

I love this card, Joanne! All of the "woodsy" elements are perfect together! And, the touch of sparkle adds to the beauty!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
11/4/2019 8:25:10 PM #

Well, this beauty ticks all my boxes! You've achieved being rustic and elegant. I like the touches of silver and glimmer as they bring a touch of festiveness with them. The texture you've packed in make this really special.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:37:33 PM #

Thanks Jan - as you know, a little different from my usual, but sometimes it's good to ring the changes and I love the end result.

Windy Ellard
Windy EllardUnited States
11/6/2019 2:26:12 AM #

I love the mix of elements and how you have blended all of them together perfectly..the colors and that bit of bling with the glimmer silver sentiment die.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:38:07 PM #

Thanks Windy - it's always great when a jumble of ideas comes together, for sure.

Vicky
VickyUnited Kingdom
11/6/2019 6:06:35 PM #

This is such an unusual and beautiful Christmas card Joanne! The different wood elements tie together so well and I love the touch of greenery and silver that really lift the neutral colour palette. Vicky x

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:38:40 PM #

Thanks Vicky - I just need to make a box to put it in now!

11/7/2019 4:05:42 AM #

I am IN LOVE with this card..what a woodland beauty!  The embellishments you added to that simple wood image are perfect, especially with the DSP in the background!  You NAILED this one!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
11/7/2019 2:39:43 PM #

Thank you my friend - funny how I never use that DSP pattern or that stamp in Rooted in Nature, yet both were perfect starting points for my card idea!

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
11/9/2019 2:44:04 AM #

Joanne, all I can say is WOW! This is stunning! Every element works beautifully together and I just love that pop of sparkle with the earthy elements.

Kelsey May Webster
Kelsey May WebsterUnited States
11/11/2019 7:33:29 PM #

Oh this is so pretty! I love love love the silver and all the little textured details!

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: