Best Catch Masculine Bendi-Fold Card for PP449

by Joanne James7. July 2019 09:00

Today it's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's the turn of the fabulous Laurie to host this week and she has a fun theme challenge for you to work with:

I held a class featuring the 'Best Catch' stamp set a few months ago when it was in the Spring-Summer catalogue. Since this set carried over into the new annual catalogue, today's challenge gave me the perfect opportunity to share one of the fun folds we made - take a look:

Best Catch -  If you or someone you know is a fan of fishing, then the 'Best Catch' is perfect for you. When I think of watersports, I tend to think of swimming or scuba diving as they are the watersports that I love, yet angling is one of the most popular past-times globally, fly fishing in particular. There are some great images and sentiments in the set, and there is also a useful set of co-ordinating dies, 'Catch Of The Day', that make cutting out the shapes super quick and easy. My favourite image is the fish and he is definitely the star of this card; so many options to colour him, and when you use the framelits to cut him out you get a fun fin detail too that is great on a fancy fold card. I stamped my fisherman and fish on Shimmery White cardstock as this allowed me to watercolour them with inks and an aquapainter and gives the fish a nice sparkly sheen too - just like fish scales!

A Fancy Fold Bendi Card - A bendi-fold card seemed like a fun way to add extra dimension and interest to my fishing card. Using a standard sized A6 cardbase for my backpiece, I then added a narrow panel to each outside edge; one in brown the same colour as my card base, and the other in Pool Party to the other side. To made the bendi fold mechanism, I simply cut a small slit in the back panel approx. one third from the opposite edge and slid the edge of the brown panel into it, creating a bend, then repeated this on the other side with the blue panel, tucking it into the first brown fold (just under the bulrushes).

Making Waves - Aside from my fun fancy fold, I added some texture and interest to my 'river' by running my Pool Party section through my Big Shot with my (now retired) Seaside Embossing Folder. If you don't have this, the new High Seas 3D embossing folder could be used to create a similar effect. Along with some die cut bulrushes and a little stamping, this finished my scene.

So what do you think? Have you ever tried to make a bendi-card? What is your favourite type of fancy fold? Do let me know in the comments below - I love to read your thoughts.

The Paper Players Design Team
Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

Enjoy your day; we will be hoping the weather is slightly warmer than yesterday so that we can spend some time outside. I am also going to be busy getting the oldest of the James Juniors ready for her school exchange trip to Germany this week.  I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
7/7/2019 6:21:28 PM #

Joanne, I love everything about your card! This is such a fun masculine set but the bendy fold takes it to a whole new level for me. I HAVE to try this out for myself! I just love the added dimension and all of your elements work so beautifully together. You knocked it out of the park with this one, my friend! Wowza!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
7/7/2019 7:01:37 PM #

What a fabulous card, Joanne! I have never tried a bendy fold before, but I think I might have to give it a try. Great job on coloring the fish! I love how he is jumping out of the water.  You rocked this challenge for sure!

7/7/2019 8:02:19 PM #

Joanne, this is a beautiful card!  It is perfect for a guy that loves to fish!  I used to fish with my Daddy.  We just put a worm on the hook and threw it in.  LOL!  The dimension, the color combo and the attention to detail is just amazing!  Have a wonderful week, My Friend! XX

Windy Ellard
Windy EllardUnited States
7/7/2019 8:32:16 PM #

Love all the details and colors on your card and the cool way you gave it dimension! Great card!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
7/7/2019 9:18:03 PM #

What a beauty! It makes me wish I knew some people who fished! The bendi-card is fabulous and it really adds wow-factor to the card. Love the texture from the embossing folder and all of the plants. Masterful!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
7/11/2019 3:04:56 PM #

What an awesome card! Fishing is definitely a popular water sport around here....just love this card!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
7/12/2019 7:10:17 PM #

Joanne, this is a fabulous use of this set, the dimension you created with the fold is fantastic.  I love the texture from the embossing folder, too.  Stunning
hugs
Jaydee

Bonus Days are back! Between 1-31 July, for every £45 you spend earn a £4.50 coupon that can be used against purchases in August. Read all about it here.

Current July hostess code: