At Home With You Doorstep Card - Three Ways To Incorporate Texture Into Your Projects

by Joanne James26. September 2017 05:00

Today I'm sharing a card from one of my recent monthly technique classes featuring the At Home With You bundle. This class was also all about ways to incorporate texture into your projects and so is perfect to link up with the team over at Just Add Ink this week where the theme is 'Just Add Texture':

Each of the cards that we made used texture in different ways: one using embossing paste, another using stencilling and dry embossing and this Autumnal new home doorstep card which actually features three different ways to incorporate texture into your project - take a look:

Aside from the obvious texture created by layering my diecut pieces, there are also more subtle textures added to this card. Here's the low-down on how I did it:

Adding Texture 1: Use Patterned Paper - I used a piece of the Wood Textures Designer Series Paper Stack for my front door - this is a quick and easy way to add texture to your project. I chose a piece of whitewashed wood pattern to stand out against my Bermuda Bay walls, however with each DSP stack containing 4 sheets each of 12 double-sided designs, you have 24 different wood effects to choose from - seriously spoilt for choice!

Adding Texture 2: Dry Embossing - To ground my door I added a strip of Crumb Cake cardstock across the lower part of my cardfront, but before I glued it in place I first embossed it with one of the hidden gem pieces in the Bike Ride Framelits set; did you know that this set, just like the Eclectic Layers Thinlits, includes a piece that embosses as opposed to diecuts? I've circled it so that you can see it in the set below:

This added a fun cobblestone-textured path outside my front door.

Adding Texture 3: Stamping - Lastly, I wanted my doormat to look like one of those rough, coir mats that are a traditional feature of a front doorstep. To achieve this look, I used one of the stamps in the 'Timeless Textures' stamp set and stamped it in Soft Suede onto Soft Suede cardstock, for a tone-on-tone textured look. I stamped off first so the effect is subtle, yet it adds a little detail that definitely contributes by adding further texture to my card.

There are lots of ways to add texture to your projects; I will have a few more to share in the other projects from this class and the gallery over at Just Add Ink also has lots of inspiration too.

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

9/26/2017 12:32:03 PM #

This is just such a clever card...I never even noticed those little cobblestones!  A great set and I love the colors and elements you used!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
9/26/2017 4:14:31 PM #

I don't think you're alone there LeAnne as far as the cobblestones are concerned - it's so easy to pass over them, yet they are a fun texture addition to this set! Glad you like my colours too - I thought the Bermuda Bay provided a nice contrast to the warm oranges and yellows of the pumpkins and sunflowers.

Nikki Spencer
Nikki SpencerAustralia
9/26/2017 12:42:57 PM #

Such a lovely Autumn scene Joanne. You've definitely met the texture brief! Thanks for sharing at Just Add Ink.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
9/26/2017 4:12:27 PM #

Thanks Nikki - it's lovely to be able to play along with you this week, you ladies are awesome! A great theme this week - there are so many ways you can add texture to a project.

Chantell Randall
Chantell RandallAustralia
9/27/2017 2:44:38 PM #

This is very sweet.  I really love how you have added the matching envelope.  Lovely balance to this card.
Chantell Just Add Ink

Pingbacks and trackbacks (1)+

Sale-A-Bration 2021 Is Here!

Sale-A-Bration is here! Choose a FREE product with every £45 or £90 you spend between 5 January-28 February. Click on the image above to view the brochure!

January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue

The new Stampin' Up! January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue is here - click on the image to download your copy!

Current January hostess code:

BPQAZE3W

What's more, if you join between 5 January - 28 February during Sale-A-Bration, you will receive an additional 5 packs of colour designer series paper too - for FREE!

Stampin Cut and Emboss

The Mini Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today. Available from January 5th.