My First Halloween Pumpkin!

by Joanne James5. October 2014 07:00

It's Sunday and time for this week's challenge over at The Paper Players, where Jaydee has a fun Halloween theme challenge for us this week:

I used the layout over at Freshly Made Sketches again this week for my card (although I'm not sure my card is as 'clean' as is required; the layout was too good to pass up) as I thought it would be perfect to highlight my first Halloween pumpkin - here's my card:

I used a piece of Motley Monsters DSP on a base of Tangerine Tango for the front of my card; I love this paper and the little eyes that peek through between the trees, although I must confess this looks so much better on a sheet of 12 x 12" and it was difficult to take my scissors to it! I used the Halloween sentiment from 'Mingle All The Way', colouring the letters with a Tangerine Tango Stampin' Write marker and mounted this on a circle of Basic Black. This circle was mounted on top of a piece of chevron-embossed Crushed Curry and black chevron ribbon and the card finished with a cute little pumpkin from the Fall Fest stamp set and cut out with the matching framelit. It's tricky to see from the photo, but the pumpkin was then covered in Crystal Effects and allowed to dry, so it has a lovely dimension and shine.

That's my simple Halloween card for today; why not pop over to The Paper Players challenge blog and check out this week's inspiration from the other designers? As always, there are some great cards on show.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Julia
JuliaGermany
10/5/2014 8:55:39 AM #

I love how you inked up the super fun sentiment, Joanne! It made me giggle, and then it made me wonder how you did it. Great technique, using the markers for that!

10/5/2014 8:26:10 PM #

Thanks Julia! This Halloween sentiment is great for colouring and so easy to customise to co-ordinate with the colours of your card.

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
10/5/2014 4:46:00 PM #

That is really cute designer paper and those eyes..so fun peeking out! Love the pumpkin and sentiment you chose for the card,too.

10/5/2014 8:26:42 PM #

Thanks Laurie - this paper is a great design all by itself!

10/5/2014 6:19:11 PM #

I just love the chevron ribbon under your sentiment, Joanne!  Those eyes peeking out at are so spooky!
The shiny pumpkin is the perfect finishing touch to your fun card!  XX

10/5/2014 8:27:30 PM #

Thanks Claire - I love this paper and the pumpkin looks so much more impressive in real life!

Andrea W
Andrea WUnited States
10/5/2014 6:23:12 PM #

The dsp looks terrific and I too love the chevron ribbon. Fun Halloween card!

10/5/2014 8:27:53 PM #

Thank you Andrea - glad you like it!

linda callahan
linda callahanUnited States
10/5/2014 6:26:26 PM #

That background is oh so perfect for a Halloween card!  Very cute!  Thanks for joining us at FMS!

10/5/2014 8:28:57 PM #

Thanks Linda! I've been waiting for an opportunity to use this paper, so this week's sketch and challenge was a good excuse!

Yapha
YaphaUnited States
10/5/2014 10:12:05 PM #

Super cute card! I love that background DSP that you used!

10/6/2014 9:49:28 AM #

Thanks Yapha - it's almost too nice to cut into, isn't it?!

Jen Brum
Jen BrumCanada
10/6/2014 2:35:25 AM #

Great card Joanne!  I love that background DSP!  So perfect for Halloween!  Love that pumpkin and the ribbon!  Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

10/6/2014 9:50:11 AM #

Thanks Jen - the paper is almost worthy of a card in its own right, but that seemed like really cheating!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
10/6/2014 5:43:21 AM #

So cute and cheery, Joanne! I love how you prominently featured the " scary eyes".  What a great layout! This sentiment is one of my favorites...it is perfect on this fun card.

10/6/2014 9:52:07 AM #

It was a challenge Ann to cut the paper to keep everything in and still see the scary eyes, but they are such a neat feature of this paper they just had to be seen! I agree re the sentiment too - and nice that it comes in a mixed set, for versatility if you're not big into Halloween (unlike me!)

Ruthie Williams
Ruthie WilliamsUnited States
10/6/2014 8:31:17 PM #

Soooo cute!  I really love how you used that sheet of DSP!!!  Great idea!!  Just love the way you put it ALL together and the pumpkin and colors on the sentiment....So fun!!

10/6/2014 10:10:57 PM #

Thanks Ruthie - I don't normally buy Halloween DSP, but this year SU! has excelled itself - I love this pack it has so many awesome papers, including this one! Thanks for popping by!

Nance Lempinen-Leedy
Nance Lempinen-LeedyUnited States
10/7/2014 2:38:01 AM #

Such a great way to feature this adorable DSP!  Love how you've kept the rest of the design clean to really let it shine.  And speaking of shine--love that glossy pumpkin!  Great card, Joanne!

10/8/2014 9:26:35 AM #

Thanks Nance - I love this DSP and in fact the entire stack - and I never normally buy Halloween DSP! My pumpkin looks so much better in real life too so I'm glad you like him!

10/7/2014 9:32:44 PM #

Cute, cute, cute!  Love the pumpkin and the layout is perfect with that paper!

10/8/2014 9:27:44 AM #

Thanks LeAnne - cant quite believe this is the first pumpkin I've used even though I've made quite a few Halloween and Fall cards - time to make up for it I think!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
10/7/2014 11:41:14 PM #

Love that big, bold sentiment and the paper is just gorgeous! Why oh why didn't I order it?!

10/8/2014 9:28:54 AM #

Easily done Sandy - I chose it over the Autumn papers, but still swoon every time I see them used on other people's cards; oh, if only we could have it ALL!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
10/9/2014 7:17:17 PM #

Joanne,
I love this card.  I had completely missed this DSP and it's fabulous - it's a great background to your focal image.  Love it!
hugs
jaydee

10/10/2014 10:27:38 AM #

Thanks Jaydee - it's a busy paper, but I love it!

Current July hostess code:

WPMS44B7

Bonus Days Are Back!

Spend £45 or more in July and receive a £4.50 voucher to use against August purchases. Read more here

Coming Soon!

The new Stampin' Up! Autumn Winter catalogue launches on 4th August - you will be able to download your copy here!

Paper Pumpkin Is Coming!