You're How Old - Really??! Birthday Card

by Joanne James21. September 2014 07:00

It's Sunday so I'm here with my card for this week's challenge over at The Paper Players, where Jaydee has the following clean and simple challenge for us:

I also used the above sketch from Freshly Made Sketches again for my card this week and this week's card is a lot more 'clean' than last weeks - here is my card:

My card is really simple, with a piece of the numbered Typeset paper mounted on Basic Black as the central panel of my card, with a couple of strips of Flashback DSP behind to add some colour and the focal point word bubble 'You're How Old?' stamped in Real Red. I finished my card with the sentiment 'happy birthday Grandpa' (stamped with my vintage 'For My Family' stamp set - a keeper!) and a punched star.

Yesterday was my Dad's 70th birthday and I made this card for him from the children - they think 70 is positively ancient, so the word bubble was entirely appropriate! - however it occurred to me as I typed up my post that not only could you change out the sentiment to just say 'happy birthday' or include the role of any family member (dad, brother, uncle, etc.) this might also work as a fun tongue-in-cheek card with the sentiment as is. So beware any male that feels he's 'over the hill', because one of these cards could be heading your way Grandpa!

Do check out the other design team cards this week; as always, there is some great inspiration and I look forward to seeing your challenge entries in the gallery. Right, I'm off to prepare for Sunday lunch and hopefully enjoy a restful family day before the onset of a new week. Enjoy your weekends everyone!

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Yapha
YaphaUnited States
9/21/2014 6:00:48 PM #

Great card, Joanne! Love the "How old are you?" with the number paper.

9/21/2014 8:10:30 PM #

Thanks Yapha - I thought the number paper might be a bit too bold with such a small piece, but I think the red speech bubble is enough to stop it taking over. Glad you like it!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
9/21/2014 7:10:59 PM #

Haha..you are right, it could be for over the hill! Great idea, and a great masculine card!

9/21/2014 8:10:57 PM #

Thanks Laurie - that's my quirky sense of humour for you Smile!

9/21/2014 8:54:38 PM #

I wondered where that sentiment came from...that set IS a keeper!  LOVE this....the colors, the fun vintage-style papers, the sketch....it all works so well together!

9/21/2014 10:27:18 PM #

Thanks LeAnne - I have used this set over and over for personalised cards (it has a nice 'teacher' stamp too). Glad you like my fun CAS card today! I'm squeezing in an entry for ColourQ tomorrow. xx

Andrea W
Andrea WUnited States
9/22/2014 12:40:25 AM #

Awesome masculine card Joanne! I love the bits of patterned paper and the word bubble works perfectly.

9/22/2014 8:58:26 PM #

Thanks Andrea - I love it when a card is deceptively simple, don't you?

Amy O'Neill
Amy O'NeillUnited States
9/22/2014 3:31:38 AM #

What a cute card!  I love that dsp with the sentiment.  Thanks for joining us at Freshly Made Sketches this week!

9/22/2014 8:58:51 PM #

Thanks Amy - great sketch and perfect for a CAS card!

9/22/2014 1:38:46 PM #

I just love this card, Joanne!  Your dad will LOL when he sees it!  The mix of DSP's is perfect!  The bold Typeset numbers draw your eye to the sentiment!  Great job!  XX

9/22/2014 8:59:54 PM #

Thanks Claire - my Dad absolutely did LOL - the children thought it was so very funny, I guess when you're that old that's what birthdays are all about!! xx

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
9/22/2014 4:13:37 PM #

What a great combination of patterned papers!  I love how you've used the sketch--great minds think alike, eh?!  I'm sure your father will get a big kick out of it!  Great job with the challenge!

9/22/2014 9:00:31 PM #

Yes indeed Nance!! Love it when a plan comes together Wink

Jen Timko
Jen TimkoUnited States
9/23/2014 12:28:24 AM #

What a fun use of prints and that stamp!  Glad you joined us this week at FMS!

9/25/2014 8:27:10 PM #

Thanks Jen - another great sketch layout, you ladies rock!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
9/25/2014 1:15:21 AM #

Love this card so much, Joanne! What a great mix of patterns, and I can't beleive I didn't order it yet myself. I'm sure Grandpa will love it!

9/25/2014 8:27:35 PM #

Thanks Sandy - the patterns in this pack are great and work well I think for male cards especially. Grandpa was very impressed!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
9/26/2014 12:00:14 AM #

70.. he's a positive youngster!  I know he will have loved this fabulous card.  I love the typeset DSP behind the word bubble and the pop of red against the black and white is perfect.
Jaydee

9/27/2014 11:40:42 PM #

Thanks Jaydee - well at that age, I guess you have to be Wink x

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: