Cheerful Christmas Tic Tac Toe for The Paper Players

by Joanne James31. August 2014 08:00

No blog post yesterday I'm afraid, as I was busy with family activities and just couldn't find the time. Today though it's Sunday and time for my Design Team card for The Paper Players, where this week Nance has a fun tic-tac-toe challenge for us:

I had such fun trying to decide which boxes of the grid to use - in the end I went for the diagonal of 'patterned paper, embossing, buttons' and made my first Christmas card using the 'Cheerful Christmas' stamp set - I took the inspiration for my layout from this week's sketch over at Fab Friday

This stamp set appealed to me the moment I saw it - I love the Scandanavian-inspired patterns that look so great in traditional Christmas reds and greens, along with white and kraft. For this card, I matted my Real Red base with Garden Green, then adhered a piece of Nordic Noel Designer Series Paper to the top of the card; this DSP carries on the Nordic theme and lots of the papers in this set co-ordinate with these stamps - I love it! I stamped the main flower stamp in the set in Versamark on Real Red and heat embossed in white, then adhered this to my card using dimensionals. Lastly, I added a flag of Calypso Coral and stamped my sentiment, from the new hostess set 'Good Greetings' in Garden Green, onto a flag of Whisper White and tucked it beneath my flower square. Lastly, I finished by wrapping around some white baker's twine and adhering one of the red and white Nordic Designer Buttons to finish.

I even took the time to decorate the inside of my card and the envelope - I thought I'd make the most of it now, as by the time I get to the last minute rush these little acts of prettiness will be all but out the window! Pop over to the rest of the team to see what they did with this week's challenge - there's a huge variety in there this week and as always some great designs.

In the James household, swimming lessons resume today before the new term starts and then I will be doing the final preparations for my first monthly card class featuring Christmas cards tomorrow - yippee! Hope you enjoy your Sunday, however you are spending it.

Lastly, in case you needed a reminder - today is the last day of the Big Shot offer - see here for details.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Andrea W
Andrea WUnited States
8/31/2014 12:10:30 PM #

Just lovely Joanne! The twine and button looks awesome alongside your embossed image. Wonderful Christmas card!

8/31/2014 10:26:38 PM #

Thanks Andrea - I'm truly into the Christmas swing of things now!

8/31/2014 1:48:36 PM #

This is beautiful, Joanne!  I absolutely love that button/twine combo and the white embossed flower pops off your card!  A fabulous Christmas card!  Sounds like you have a very busy week ahead!  XX

8/31/2014 10:27:42 PM #

Thank you Claire - glad you like my Nordic design, and yes, a busy week indeed this week!!

8/31/2014 5:54:35 PM #

What a beautiful Nordic design!  I love it!

8/31/2014 10:28:01 PM #

Thanks LeAnne -  welcome back!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
8/31/2014 6:09:49 PM #

Such a pretty card and highlights this line of products so well!  Love the white embossing on red...great card!

8/31/2014 10:28:52 PM #

Thank you Nance - I love it when there's the opportunity for some co-ordination, especially where Christmas cards are concerned!

Yapha
YaphaUnited States
8/31/2014 8:56:20 PM #

Such a lovely card, Joanne! Those different Nordic elements look really pretty together!

8/31/2014 10:29:41 PM #

Thanks Yapha - I love the red and white Nordic theme at Christmas time!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
8/31/2014 11:16:57 PM #

So pretty and festive Joanne! I love that DSP and the embossed square looks like it could be a piece of a Scandinavian style quilt! Great job on the tic-tac-toe board!

9/1/2014 10:31:17 PM #

Thanks Sandy - a Scandanavian quilt, what a lovely idea!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
9/1/2014 6:32:37 AM #

Beautiful, Joanne! The embossed image just "pops" off the card! I love this designer paper pattern now that I see it on your card.  What a great mix of colors!

9/1/2014 10:32:04 PM #

Thanks Ann - the paper isn't my favourite out of this pack, but I live it with this stamp and the pop of red too!

Amanda Mertz
Amanda MertzUnited States
9/1/2014 12:18:55 PM #

What a great Christmas card!  I really like how you used the DSP for that panel of the sketch.  Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!

9/1/2014 10:32:50 PM #

Thank you Amanda! This is my first attempt at Fab Friday, but I love a sketch challenge and will definitely try and play along more often!

Mike
MikeUnited States
9/1/2014 3:04:23 PM #

Joanne, this card has such a European flavor to it!  I love the colors you used!

9/1/2014 10:33:59 PM #

Thanks Mike - a traditional take on Christmas here, but I'm a sucker for red at Christmas time, especially Real Red!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
9/2/2014 12:57:52 PM #

I love the Nordic look to the card, that button is so cute,too. This looks like another fun set!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
9/5/2014 11:25:39 PM #

Joanne, you rocked that DSP and stamp.  I really love what you did with it.
Jaydee

Brian King
Brian KingUnited States
9/9/2014 8:37:28 PM #

Wow, Joanne!  This is really great!  I've avoided this piece of paper but now see that it can be beautiful.  Smile  Thanks for playing along with this FabFriday sketch.

Cindy Beach
Cindy BeachUnited States
9/11/2014 8:17:22 PM #

Joanne, I am in love with the Nordic DSP and you highlighted it beautifully on your card. The sentiment is a perfect addition to the cozy, warm feel of your design.
Hope you will join us again at the Fab Friday Challenge!

Timothy Berry
Timothy BerryUnited Kingdom
1/6/2015 10:05:01 AM #

This is such a great way to stimulate creativity! And the result looks absolutely amazing, the colours on the card are so Christmassy!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current September hostess code:

ZMKAG7P2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!