Smile Says The Mouse - Again!

by Joanne James23. April 2014 08:00

My James juniors are back at school today after a long Easter break, but I assure you that's not the reason behind the sentiment for today's card ;-) I started off with an idea in mind for this week's Less Is More challenge, where the theme is 'something that makes you smile'; unintentionally, I ended up combining this with the colour challenge this week over at CAS Colours and Sketches, where black and shades of grey are the order of the day:

I knew immediately that my 'something that makes me smile' would have to be that cute little mouse from the Life in the Forest stamp set that I used on this card last week; I decided to use him in conjunction with the word 'smile' from the Happy Day stamp set and position him as if he was standing just behind the word and peering around. I stamped 'smile' in Versamark and heat embossed in black embossing powder, as I wanted the sentiment to really stand out and look solid, then stamped the mouse using black stazon and coloured him with the greys and my blender pen. I sometimes struggle with the simplicity of 'less is more', but this card seems to tick all the boxes for clean and simple: lots of white space, few layers (none) and minimal embellishments (none). I think this may be my 'zen' of CAS cards!

I love this card for all its black and white one-layered simplicity, but couldn't help play around with an initially discarded version where I sought to introduce some colour - this card is so far out of my comfort zone, I just couldn't help it. If you'd like to see a more colourful version, check out the post on my Facebook page today - I'd love to know which one you prefer. For me, the one above wins; as for the mouse, he makes me smile every time, with or without!

I'm off to my office for a nice early start: lots to do today, including amongst other things start preparing next week's classes. Back tomorrow with another project, until then happy stampin'!

Dotty Jo
Dotty JoUnited Kingdom
4/23/2014 4:29:28 PM #

Totally fabulous card - love that little mouse! Jo x

4/25/2014 9:54:41 AM #

Thanks Jo - I am in love with this little guy too!

Chrissie
ChrissieUnited Kingdom
4/23/2014 8:13:18 PM #

Love it!
Thanks so much
Chrissie
"Less is More"

4/25/2014 9:55:08 AM #

Thanks Chrissie - really pleased with my LIM attempt this week!

karen h
karen hUnited States
4/23/2014 10:18:17 PM #

Such an adorable card! Love how you worked with the colors! Thanks for joining us at CAS Colours & Sketches!

4/25/2014 9:56:17 AM #

Thanks Karen - I initially dismissed them as I could get anything to look right, but finally came up with this; persistence paid off!

Anne
AnneUnited Kingdom
4/24/2014 7:00:40 AM #

Joanne this is so simple, so effective, makes me smile Smile
Thank you for joining us at Less is More.
Anne
LIM Designer

4/25/2014 9:56:46 AM #

Thanks Anne  - glad the mouse worked his magic on you too!

Louise J van Vuren
Louise J van VurenUnited Kingdom
4/24/2014 10:34:53 AM #

Fab CAS creation in monochrome. Really like the idea behind the design, and that little critter made me smile too.  Thanks for playing along at CC&S

Louise xx

4/25/2014 9:58:40 AM #

Thanks Louise - really please with how my card turned out. Nice when an idea works!

Dotty Jo
Dotty JoUnited Kingdom
4/25/2014 11:04:54 AM #

Back for another look... I think this is my favourite card from this weeks LIM challenge, Jo x

4/25/2014 8:13:44 PM #

Jo that's so kind of you to say! I love the LIM challenge, I think because generally I am myself rather LIM-challenged Smile Did you check out my Facebook page to see the other one I made with a splash of colour? Link here:
www.facebook.com/.../126886927482232

Rahmat
RahmatMacao S.A.R.
4/26/2014 7:53:36 AM #

A super CAS card, love that little guy!

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current February hostess code:

N7UTJ3DY

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Co-ordination Product Release

Step up your co-ordination game by purchasing these exclusive products that co-ordinate with Sale-A-Bration and Spring mini catalogue items. There is no limit to how many you can order, but they are only available 4 February - 31st march whilst supplies last! Read more here.