Bonanza Buddies Lion CAS Birthday Card

by Joanne James22. April 2020 08:00

Today I'm sharing a card that was inspired by quite a few challenges - I started with a couple in mind but my card just kind of snowballed:

Believe it or not my starting pint was the Just Add Ink challenge and that lovely yellow and pink colour combo, along with the tassels. I had already decided to make a lion birthday card inspired by the Hand Stamped Sentiments photo and I wondered whether I could make a bushy mane from tassels. I used the sketch layout courtesy of AAA cards (no optional twist - this lion doesn't fly!) but given that he is a lion, I am linking up Leo over at CASology where the keyword is 'zodiac' and entering over at Addicted to CAS too! So that's how I got to my card - now to tell you the story of the bushy mane! Firstly, here's my finished card:

Bonanza Buddies - I used my Bonanza Buddies stamp set for the lion with his balloons, and stamped them and my sentiment directly onto my card base. Then, instead of diecutting the head and mane using the stamp provided and popping it up, I stamped it but fussy cut the face and put my bushy mane behind - here's a close up of that detail:

The Mane Event - So how did I create my mane? I knew I had some tassels in my stash, but the closest I had to yellow was gold and it looked a little too 'bling', so I grabbed some retired Crushed Curry baker's twine and created my own by punching a small 1/2" circle of cardstock with a smaller hole in the centre to create a ring, then looped a bunch of 2" pieces of twine around it then trimmed it to fit. Here's a close-up photo so you can see what it looked like before I added it to my card:

I think glued this to my card and glued my lion's face, complete with party hat, to the middle.

Clean And Simple? - Having completed my card, I did have some doubts as to whether my card would pass the 'CAS' test; it does have a single focal point, lots of white space and minimal layers but whilst it only has one embellishment, it is rather a fancy one! I hope I haven't offended anyone in the AAA Cards, Addicted to CAS or CASology camps as I try and hone my CAS skills, but do leave me a comment if you think I've still more to learn on this front - I'm sure my sweet PP teamie and queen of CAS, the lovely Jaydee who is hosting at Addicted to CAS this week will put me right!

As I trimmed my lion's mane, it reminded me of cutting both Mr James and the James Juniors' hair last week. We are all missing our regular trims during lockdown, and the boys in particular decided we should take matters into our own hands. Having purchased some clippers, I set to work and surprised myself at what a good job I did. So much so I bought a pair of hairdressing scissors and cut Rebecca's hair too! It appears I have found a new skill - it's just a shame I can't practise it on myself and I certainly don't trust anyone else if the James household to cut my hair, so the ladies that see me on my online classes at the moment will have to witness my increasingly unruly mop for a while longer yet!! So have you discovered any new skills you didn't know you had whilst you've been in lockdown? Do share - I would love to hear about them!

I have lots to share with you today so will be back later with a couple more posts, so be sure to stay tuned or depending on when you are reading this scroll forwards to catch up on everything that 's happening! Enjoy your day and I'll be back later. Until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , ,

Jane Taylor
Jane TaylorUnited Kingdom
4/22/2020 11:12:52 AM #

The tassels work brilliantly for the lion's mane! Thanks for playing at AAA Cards, hope to see you join in with future challenges too. Keep safe, stay home and craft instead.

sandie
sandieUnited Kingdom
4/22/2020 11:43:57 AM #

This is so fun and I just love that texture-amazing and wow to make a card that fits so many challenge and so pleased CASology was one of them! x

karen h
karen hUnited States
4/22/2020 3:10:19 PM #

Oh my gosh, that mane is amazing - such a perfect textural accent! Thanks for the behind-the-scene pic for how you did it. Thank you for joining us at CASology!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
4/23/2020 11:46:44 PM #

Joanne, this just makes me smile and I am obsessed with his hairy mane!  What a fabulous card.  It's amazing how a little texture and something tactile on the card can take it to the next level!  So glad you joined us at ATCAS this week
Hugs
Jaydee

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
4/24/2020 8:13:35 PM #

There you go again, making me wish I'd bought something that I didn't! This is superb and you deserve a gold medal just for creating that luxurious mane!

4/24/2020 8:59:34 PM #

How cute is this!!!!!!!!!!!!  I love that fun mane you created for this little lion!  FUN, FUN, FUN!

LucieG Cards
LucieG CardsUnited Kingdom
4/26/2020 10:25:08 AM #

Wow! I love this card Joanne! And it's definitely CAS in my book! That mane is so clever! Thanks for playing along with us at AAA Cards!

Bree Renwick
Bree RenwickUnited States
4/27/2020 5:17:23 PM #

That little lion is adorable!  I love that you used a tassel for the main!  Thank you for joining us at HSS!

Robbie
RobbieUnited States
4/27/2020 5:59:25 PM #

Super cute!  Love how you did the mane!  Thanks for playing with us at HSS.

Robbie

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
4/28/2020 1:45:07 AM #

Joanne!!!! This is the cutest thing ever!!!! So very perfect and how clever of you to make the mane like that! Super fun!  Thanks for playing with us at Hand Stamped Sentiments this week!

Lindsey
Lindsey United Kingdom
4/28/2020 7:04:56 AM #

This is fabulous Joanne!  How inventive. Love his mane!  Beautifully CAS x

Elizabeth Stewart
Elizabeth StewartUnited States
5/2/2020 12:50:26 AM #

OMG!  This card is just brilliant!  I did a double-take when I saw the mane.  You are so creative!  Thank you so much for sharing how you made the mane... just so clever.  Love it!  And yes, I think your card is CAS.

Current June hostess code:

NSKDEXBA

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here

During June you can also choose any additional stamp/tool bundle from the new catalogue - FOR FREE!