Ornate Border Dies Inlaid Diecut Thank You Card

by Joanne James17. April 2020 20:18

Yay it's Friday! I feel more than ever the need to start my post with the day of the week just to remind myself - is it me or do they all seem to blur into one these days?! Today I'm sharing a card that I made using this week's Color Throwdown colours:

I wanted to have a play with my new Ornate Border Dies having seen a lovely stencilled card that my friend LeAnne created with hers. When I saw these colours and the quilt in the photo though I thought they would be nice for a little inlaid diecutting - take a look:

Ornate Border Dies - The new Ornate Border Dies are part of the early release Ornate Garden Release. I knew I would love these dies as soon as I saw them! I did have a few erroneous cuts before I realised which side the die was cutting the outer edge on, but once I'd worked this out I was fine. I cut the die three times: once in Basic Black for my mat, then again in Smoky Slate and Real Red, and used these latter two to inlay the flowers and leaves into my black panel.

Take Your Pick - You might think that inlaid diecutting is a tricky business and whilst it does take a little while, there is one tool that can make it really easy: the Take your Pick tool. That end with a little bob of blue tac is super useful for easily picking up tiny pieces and dropping them into the spaces in the die openings. I can highly recommend one - adding adhesive sheets to the back of your cardstock before diecutting helps from a gluing perspective too.

So Sentimental - For my panel I used a piece of retired gingham DSP from Sale-A-Bration last year and I finished my card with a thank you sentiment from the 'So Sentimental' set and cut it out with one of the co-ordinating Stitched So Sweetly Dies. I added a scrap of red ribbon and my card was done!

We took part in a family online quiz yesterday, hosted (virtually, of course!) by some friends of ours with lots of other friends online which was great fun. Determined to continue in a similar vein and do something different again today, I joined an online 'pilates for runners' class, run by the physio that has been treating me for my frozen shoulder rehabilitation. I'm keen to get back to running but am nowhere near fit enough at the moment, plus it's more fun to cycle with the Juniors whilst they are at home. It was tough but I thoroughly enjoyed it - I'm sure my glutes will feel be feeling the effects tomorrow though! What are you doing to make each day a little different to the one that went before? Enjoy your evening and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Colleen Begley
Colleen BegleyUnited States
4/18/2020 4:12:12 AM #

This is very pretty! I haven't used these dies yet, but I really need to.

Vickie Z
Vickie ZUnited States
4/18/2020 7:14:08 PM #

Love the inlaid die cut flowers and bold plaid! So happy you joined us at CTD!

Tammy
TammyUnited States
4/19/2020 12:10:13 AM #

Beautiful card!!  Love the inlaid dies--have to try that!!

4/20/2020 3:49:44 PM #

This is AMAZING!  I thought of doing inlay as well, but I was intimidated by the amount of work to replace all those little bits!  I am contemplating doing it anyway as I came up with a new little do-hickey in my craft room that I think will make it a wee bit easier!  I'll share it later! Laughing  Meanwhile, this is just awesome...those colors work great with your border!  Love it!

Wanda Cullen
Wanda CullenUnited States
4/20/2020 9:13:26 PM #

That inlaid border is such a WOW factor! I'm also a fan of gingham so this really stood out to me in the gallery! Thanks for playing along with us at CTD!

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
4/24/2020 8:02:43 PM #

The inlaid dies look great in these colours. I found the take your pick tool to be invaluable in this process, as did you. In fact, I'd say - don't try this without one!

January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue

The new Stampin' Up! January-June 2021 Mini Catalogue is here - click on the image to download your copy!

Current April hostess code:

3XTNB243

Stampin Cut and Emboss

The Mini Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today. Available from January 5th.

Sale-A-Bration 2021 Is Here!

Sale-A-Bration is here! Choose a FREE product with every £45 or £90 you spend between 5 January-28 February. Click on the image above to view the brochure!