Pink Birthday Crocuses for PP484

by Joanne James29. March 2020 10:00

Today it's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's my turn to host this week and as it's the fifth Sunday of the month we have a tic-tac-toe challenge for you to work with:

I'm getting used to the idea of a tic-tac-toe board; my starting point tends to be as many options as possible, so I ended up with 3 lines complete: central row - diecut, spring, birthday, and far right column - DSP, birthday, flowers and lastly the diagonal pink, spring, DSP - talk about over-achiever! I used Amy's sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches for my layout (great layout, Amy!) and decided to use one of my favourite new florals for a new purpose - take a look:

Crocuses Are Not Just For Easter - I love the 'Easter Promise' stamp set and the crocus stamps. They are perfect for spring and I decided that they would make a pretty birthday card too. I chose my favourite pink, Melon Mambo, for today's card - did you know that you can actually get pink crocuses? I didn't, but Google showed me some so as my kids so often say, well it must therefore be true! I coloured and fussy cut a couple of the bunches for the front of my card, then added the row to the inside for a little extra detail:

Label Me Bold - I used the Happy Birthday from 'Label Me Bold' on today's card; plain block sentiments are perfect for something simple where the florals are the main focus.

Pretty In Pink Watercolour - I decided to use a rough watercolour to colour my crocuses. I stamped them in Stazon on watercolour paper and then added loose colour in layers, deliberately not keeping inside the lines (which was hard for the perfectionist in me!) and I just love the finished effect:

I added a twine bow and some champagne rhinestones to complete my card. I just LOVE this card - do you ever make a card that totally ticks all of your boxes? This is one of mine!

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

Enjoy your day; the clocks went forward overnight so we have an hour less today, although in the grand scheme of things at the moment I'm not sure it will matter that much! We spent some time together yesterday completing a fiendishly tricky quiz that Ben has been set by school, so I think this afternoon it might be time to involve the grandparents in our endeavours! I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

3/29/2020 4:22:58 PM #

I LOVE this happy card!  Melon Mambo is my favorite pink, too!  The loose watercoloring is just gorgeous!  The embossing alway adds so much texture!  The crocuses are just so pretty!  Your card shouts "Spring"!  You certainly win the "over Achiever" prize for this beauty!  STAY healthy, My Friend!  XX

Jan Clothier
Jan ClothierNew Zealand
3/29/2020 8:23:09 PM #

Oh my! Those crocuses are fabulous! I had totally overlooked this set before now. I LOVE the loose watercolour style you've used on them. Perfect choice because the softness and looseness of the colour doesn't fight with the strong colour behind but is enhanced by it.

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
3/29/2020 8:37:12 PM #

Beautiful bouquet of blooms!! I like that gingham border too!

Deborah Wheeler
Deborah WheelerUnited Kingdom
3/30/2020 6:15:33 PM #

Love the card! Hope you're all safe and well

3/30/2020 6:58:57 PM #

I just glossed over these Easter sets this year (I have so many already!) and so these little crocuses were totally missed by me!  How pretty they are....pink, purple, white, I love them all!

Amy O'Neill
Amy O'NeillUnited States
3/30/2020 7:18:33 PM #

This card is beautiful, Joanne!  Both on the inside and out.  So glad you joined us at FMS this week!

Stef Perry
Stef PerryUnited States
3/30/2020 8:20:04 PM #

Your card definitely clicks all my boxes too Joanne!  Melon Mambo is one of my favorite colors and you know I love flowers!  Your watercoloring of those pretty crocuses looks absolutely beautiful and I love how you used the gingham to frame it all up!  What a gorgeous card!

Karen Henderson
Karen HendersonUnited Kingdom
3/31/2020 10:41:36 AM #

Your hand tied posy of crocuses is beautiful. It really says Spring is here!

JoAnn Burnham
JoAnn BurnhamUnited States
3/31/2020 11:01:43 PM #

Beautiful birthday card and your loose coloring of the crocuses looks great. Congrats on your win at Freshly Made Sketches.

Patt H.
Patt H.United States
4/1/2020 11:24:46 AM #

I absolutely  adore this fabulous card! The coloring  is amazing
& the card is the epitome  of  spring!

Vicky
VickyUnited Kingdom
4/1/2020 1:19:52 PM #

Brilliant watercolouring, a perfect amount of pinkness and also a gorgeous gingham frame - what a beautiful card Joanne! Congratulations on your win at FMS Smile
Vicky x

Janice Baranowski
Janice BaranowskiUnited States
4/1/2020 6:26:56 PM #

Absolutely stunning card Joanne! This is one I may have to CASE, thanks for the wonderful example!! Thanks for sharing.

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
4/4/2020 4:36:54 AM #

I don't just like this card, Joanne...I LOVE it! The pretty pink paired with the gingham is gorgeous. You always seem to talk me into buying new stamp sets, too. Hmmm, you are such an enabler. Haha!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
4/4/2020 5:12:54 PM #

Joanne, this is gorgeous.  I love the pink and white and those beautifully colored croci.  Stunning.
hugs
jaydee

Current June hostess code:

NSKDEXBA

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here

During June you can also choose any additional stamp/tool bundle from the new catalogue - FOR FREE!