Remarkable You CAS Sympathy Card

by Joanne James21. May 2018 07:30

Good morning and happy Monday everyone! I am up and about and blogging nice and early today as I have a busy day and evening so need to be organised! Today I'm sharing a card using this week's colour challenge over at CAS Colours and Sketches that would also be perfect for our current challenge over at The Paper Players too:

As I had the 'Remarkable You' stamp set out on my desk for the second of my cards yesterday, it struck me that the above colour combo was perfect for those lovely arum lilies so I set about making today's card - take a look:

Making 'White Space' Blue - One of the principles of clean and simple design is to have plenty of 'white space' visible on your card. White space doesn't have to be white in colour though; in order for my design to work today, I wanted my white lilies to stand out and what better way than to place them against a bright blue Pacific Point coloured background? The blue plays a central role on my card with the other two colours adding just the merest hint of colour, whilst still allowing my card to feel CAS.

Clean and Simple Paper Piecing - I stamped my lilies directly onto my card base and again onto Whisper White cardstock. I then fussy cut my white lilies, and after colouring the stems in Pear Pizzazz and adding some So Saffron highlights to my blooms with a blender pen, I paper-pieced them in place onto my card base. This is a great way to get all of the detail of the sketch-like outline whilst also ensuring the flowers stood out adequately against the blue background. A simple white embossed sentiment finishes the front of my card.

Words of Sympathy - These lilies make a beautiful sympathy card; one of my go-to sentiment sets for this type of card is 'Flourishing Phrases' -  this set has some wonderful and thoughtful sentiments, and no more so than for those sometimes tricky cards where words are never really enough. Here's the inside of my card - I love how the words fit with the shape of the flowers too:

I always find sympathy cards difficult to make to order so like to have a few on standby for when the need arises. I particularly like to use colour on my sympathy cards too, so this one definitely ticks all the boxes for me and will head to my card box for future use.

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project. Until then, happy stampin'!

Patricia Hays
Patricia HaysUnited States
21/05/2018 18:36:42 #

Your card is a perfect example of how "white space" does not literally have to be white.  The calla lilies are lovely against the blue background!  Thanks so much for sharing your pretty card with us at CC&S! Smile

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
22/05/2018 11:54:52 #

Thanks Patricia for your kind comment! I do find Pacific Point can sometimes be a tricky colour to work with, but I adored your colour combo this week and the opportunity to put it front and centre on my card.

22/05/2018 13:41:15 #

Another CAS beauty!  These gorgeous flowers would be good for many occasions!

Beverley
BeverleyUnited Kingdom
22/05/2018 19:17:46 #

Beautiful use of the challenge colours and a perfect sympathy card. Thanks for joining in on the fun at CC&S. Hugs Bev x

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
24/05/2018 17:47:42 #

Beautiful CAS card! Those blooms are gorgeous on the blue!

Current August hostess code:

K6VBCUXK

2018-19 Annual Catalogue

Click on the catalogue for a full list of current SU! supplies - if you would like to order any of the items featured, please drop me a line at joanne@thecraftyowl.co.uk or give me a call on 07773 421446 - I'd be happy to help.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator? For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. That's £31 OF FREE PRODUCT! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.