Best Birds Go Clean and Simple For The Paper Players

by Joanne James18. June 2017 10:00

It's Sunday and time for this week's new challenge over at The Paper Players! It's the turn of the lovely Jaydee to host this week and she has a clean and simple challenge for us to work with:

This was a great week for a CAS challenge - I was short on time and the glorious weather we've been having here in the UK these last few days has meant that my south-facing craft room has been like a sauna and not conducive to extended periods of crafting. I needed something that was quick to create so I reached for my Best Birds stamp set and co-ordinating Birds and Blooms Framelits along with this week's sketch over at CAS Colours and Sketches and this is what I came up with:

Take One Stamp Set - My fellow Paper Player, the lovely LeAnne, has made so many fabulous cards with the Best Birds stamp set (you can see them via the link to her blog below), she finally convinced me that I had to add this set to my collection. This is the first time I've used this set and I'm not disappointed. A pair of birds, a branch, flowers, a great variety of sentiments and an interesting background stamp mean this set gives lots of options for layering and creating scenes, and all with a single stamp set. Thank you LeAnne for being such an enabler! I coloured my little bird to look like a blue tit with my inks and aquapainter - I love these birds!

Add Some DimensionI stamped the hatched background stamp directly onto my card base then cut out the branch and my bird with the co-ordinating Birds and Blooms Thinlits Dies, adhering the branch directly to the base and popping my bird up on dimensionals for a little lift without too many layers so that it still feels CAS.

Texture Without Depth - I added a strip of the photographic Wood Textures Designer Series Paper to the edge of my card which give the illusion of texture and a trio of glitter enamel dots for a little sparkle and interest without compromising the overall clean and simple feel of my card.

The Paper Players Design Team
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
 Crystal Komera
Valentyna Komisarenko
Deanne K

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than four challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing your clean and simple creations in the gallery this week. It's Father's Day here in the UK so we shall be spoiling Mr James today and hopefully continuing to enjoy the glorious sunshine we have been experiencing recently. I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
6/18/2017 1:54:10 PM #

Joanne, I love the vertical strip of DSP you used. It doesn't detract from the focal image, but helps to reinforce the tree feel.   The background for your little bird is perfect.   You rocked the challenge this week.   Glad you are finally getting some warmer weather Smile
hugs
jaydee

Fiona
FionaUnited Kingdom
6/18/2017 7:38:47 PM #

Joanne, fabulously coloured Bluetit. We have a nest-box on our wall which has a camera in it, and this year the parents managed to rear 10 babies in there!! Oh, and I love your card, especially with the Wood Textures Paper. So CAS. xx

Emily E
Emily EAustralia
6/19/2017 4:49:56 AM #

I love everything about your card it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing your amazing card with us this week at CC&S!

karen h
karen hUnited States
6/19/2017 2:29:43 PM #

Wonderful card; great use of the sketch! Thanks for playing along with us at CC&S!

brent scheffer
brent schefferUnited States
6/19/2017 10:24:57 PM #

I like the 3D dimension and colors of the bird.  The hint of sky highlights the brrd very well!

Beverley
BeverleyUnited Kingdom
6/20/2017 8:26:30 AM #

This is stunning Joanne, beautifully coloured and pretty images. Wonderful unique use of the sketch too. Thanks so much for joining in at CC&S. Hugs Bev x

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
6/22/2017 4:41:15 PM #

Fun idea to use the patterned paper at the edge..ties in so well with the bird! Awesome CAS card....you nailed it!

Have a great day!

6/23/2017 2:35:06 PM #

Joanne, this is so pretty!  I love every detail!  The background, the beautiful little bird and the DSP on the border!  BRAVO, My Friend!  Wishing you a wonderful weekend!  XX

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: