A Playful Palette Happy Birthday

by Joanne James16. June 2016 08:05

I'm back from a special day yesterday: Rebecca celebrated her 11th birthday - wherever did that time go?! She was slightly disappointed that it was a school day, although genuinely touched by the number of children that came up to her to wish her a happy birthday yesterday, and two little juniors who even came and sang to her - how sweet! It seems when you're Head Girl everyone knows when it's your birthday!

Anyway - today it's time for a new challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary and this week we have a sketch for you:

For my card today I decided on a showcase of in-colours and one of the new designer series paper stacks - take a look:

A Playful Palette of Colour - The designer series papers featured on my card today feature four of the five new in-colours (only Dapper Denim is absent) and are one of the products featured in the Playful Palette suite - modern and colourful designs, inspired by brushstrokes and artwork. Here's a photo showing other items in this creative suite:

Layering Squares - I cut each of my four squares with my new Layering Squares framelits and chose to highlight one of the squares with a narrow scalloped border in Peekaboo Peach. These layered squares are great for creating perfectly aligned borders, frames and shaker cards and can be used in endless different combinations to achieve a different effect each time.

Hello You Happy - I finished my card with a sentiment comprising a little banner using words from the 'Crazy About You' stamp set and a die cut 'happy' using one of the 'Hello You' thinlits. I diecut my 'happy' in Emerald Envy, dipped it in Versamark and then heat embossed it with clear embossing powder and repeated the process 3 times to get a smooth and glossy finish. It really stands out against the patterned papers and the Sweet Sugarplum base  - I love it!

Do visit the other Design Team members to see what they did with this week's sketch; there's lots of inspiration over on their blogs too!

Enjoy your day; I'm getting together with some of my team for a catch-up, which should be fun. I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

• Playful Palette Designer Series Paper Stack
  • Versamark Pad
  • Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder
  • Heat Tool (Uk)

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
6/16/2016 2:14:57 PM #

This card is so sweet, JoAnne! I love the way you highlighted the one square by layering it on the scalloped piece. The shiny, embossed "happy" is an awesome detail as well!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
6/20/2016 4:51:55 PM #

I really like how you layered the one square on the card...really pops!  Love how you embossed the "happy"!

Sharon Hashimoto Burkert
Sharon Hashimoto BurkertUnited States
6/20/2016 10:51:48 PM #

I love how your "happy" turned out.  Thank you for sharing how you did it.  It is amazing what heat embossing can do.  Definitely a trick I will have to use soon!

Jennifer Downey
Jennifer DowneyUnited States
6/20/2016 11:36:15 PM #

The one scalloped square behind the right DSP square adds such a subtle flare. I noticed it immediately! Love how you made that one a little different from the rest. ;)

Libby
LibbyUnited States
6/22/2016 12:29:43 AM #

What a bright and fun card! Love the choice of colors you went with.

Chris Slogar
Chris SlogarUnited States
6/22/2016 4:02:07 AM #

That embossed "happy" makes me happy!  I must try that - it stands out beautifully against the papers!

Tracy May
Tracy MayUnited Kingdom
6/22/2016 1:52:00 PM #

Lovely card Joanne. Love the colour scheme and the added touch of the scallop square on the sentiment square! Smile

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current November hostess code:

469YSGD2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!

Share joy with the global Joy To The World Paper Pumpkin Kit! Available 3 November whilst stocks last!