A Playful Palette Happy Birthday

by Joanne James16. June 2016 08:05

I'm back from a special day yesterday: Rebecca celebrated her 11th birthday - wherever did that time go?! She was slightly disappointed that it was a school day, although genuinely touched by the number of children that came up to her to wish her a happy birthday yesterday, and two little juniors who even came and sang to her - how sweet! It seems when you're Head Girl everyone knows when it's your birthday!

Anyway - today it's time for a new challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary and this week we have a sketch for you:

For my card today I decided on a showcase of in-colours and one of the new designer series paper stacks - take a look:

A Playful Palette of Colour - The designer series papers featured on my card today feature four of the five new in-colours (only Dapper Denim is absent) and are one of the products featured in the Playful Palette suite - modern and colourful designs, inspired by brushstrokes and artwork. Here's a photo showing other items in this creative suite:

Layering Squares - I cut each of my four squares with my new Layering Squares framelits and chose to highlight one of the squares with a narrow scalloped border in Peekaboo Peach. These layered squares are great for creating perfectly aligned borders, frames and shaker cards and can be used in endless different combinations to achieve a different effect each time.

Hello You Happy - I finished my card with a sentiment comprising a little banner using words from the 'Crazy About You' stamp set and a die cut 'happy' using one of the 'Hello You' thinlits. I diecut my 'happy' in Emerald Envy, dipped it in Versamark and then heat embossed it with clear embossing powder and repeated the process 3 times to get a smooth and glossy finish. It really stands out against the patterned papers and the Sweet Sugarplum base  - I love it!

Do visit the other Design Team members to see what they did with this week's sketch; there's lots of inspiration over on their blogs too!

Enjoy your day; I'm getting together with some of my team for a catch-up, which should be fun. I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

• Playful Palette Designer Series Paper Stack
  • Versamark Pad
  • Clear Stampin' Emboss Powder
  • Heat Tool (Uk)

Jenny Engelke
Jenny EngelkeUnited States
6/16/2016 2:14:57 PM #

This card is so sweet, JoAnne! I love the way you highlighted the one square by layering it on the scalloped piece. The shiny, embossed "happy" is an awesome detail as well!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
6/20/2016 4:51:55 PM #

I really like how you layered the one square on the card...really pops!  Love how you embossed the "happy"!

Sharon Hashimoto Burkert
Sharon Hashimoto BurkertUnited States
6/20/2016 10:51:48 PM #

I love how your "happy" turned out.  Thank you for sharing how you did it.  It is amazing what heat embossing can do.  Definitely a trick I will have to use soon!

Jennifer Downey
Jennifer DowneyUnited States
6/20/2016 11:36:15 PM #

The one scalloped square behind the right DSP square adds such a subtle flare. I noticed it immediately! Love how you made that one a little different from the rest. ;)

Libby
LibbyUnited States
6/22/2016 12:29:43 AM #

What a bright and fun card! Love the choice of colors you went with.

Chris Slogar
Chris SlogarUnited States
6/22/2016 4:02:07 AM #

That embossed "happy" makes me happy!  I must try that - it stands out beautifully against the papers!

Tracy May
Tracy MayUnited Kingdom
6/22/2016 1:52:00 PM #

Lovely card Joanne. Love the colour scheme and the added touch of the scallop square on the sentiment square! Smile

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: