He Is Risen Sunburst Easter Card

by Joanne James1. March 2016 21:00

Firstly, Happy Saint David's Day to any fellow Welsh bloggers or blog readers! I have had a busy day of classes today, with the first of my technique classes this month this morning and my Project Life memory keeping class this afternoon. I'm not so organised that I had an early blog post for you; my card was made,I just fell asleep at my laptop yesterday evening before I could schedule it! Today's card is for the 300th challenge over at Just Add Ink where they have this sketch as inspiration this week:

JAI #300

I saw this sketch and knew it would be perfect for a card that I've had in mind for a while using my Sunburst Thinlits Die - take a look:

I wanted to create an Easter card with a sunburst behind a cross; how to make my cross though? I decided to try and make one using a sunburst, by squaring up the edges and cutting away the diagonal sections. Here's a work in progress picture that shows you how I cut it:

I hope that is helpful. I ran my cross through my Woodgrain embossing folder to add some texture and make it stand out against my super-CAS background of So Saffron and Pear Pizzazz. I allowed my sentiment strip to overhang the width of my paper slightly and made my own sentiment using the stamps in the 'Crazy For You' stamp set, masking off letters where not needed until I had my phrase. The Alphabet Rotary Stamp would also allow you to create something similar. I added a gold button, a twist of retired Tangelo Twist satin ribbon and a sprinkling of Pumpkin Pie sequins to finish my card. This is a great Easter card that can be made using entirely non Easter-specific supplies, which is always useful. What do you think of my cross idea? I'd love to know whether you think this works - do leave me a comment with your thoughts below.

Here's today's visual summary for easy reference:

That's all from me today; I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Di Barnes
Di BarnesAustralia
3/2/2016 6:12:20 AM #

Joanne, you're so very clever making a cross with the sunburst die - pinning that one for later - & I love the Easter scene you've created using the sketch. So clean & fresh. Thanks for playing along with our 300th JAI challenge.
Di Smile

Nikki Spencer
Nikki SpencerAustralia
3/2/2016 8:57:30 AM #

How creative is this...Never would have entered my mind to use the starburst die as a tree...Well done! Fab use of the sketch Joanne and thank you for helping us celebrate at Just Add Ink.

Rochelle Blok
Rochelle BlokAustralia
3/2/2016 9:23:19 AM #

Love this!!! So clever to cut the cross out of the Starburst Die! Love the CAS look to the card and your fabulous take on the sketch! Thanks for playing along and celebrating with us this week at Just Add Ink. Rochelle xo

Jan M
Jan MAustralia
3/2/2016 11:48:09 AM #

How fabulous, Joanne to use the Sunburst Die to make a Cross! I love it! And also love how you've used non- Easter supplies to make a beautiful Easter card - so creative! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week Smile

Chantell Randall
Chantell RandallAustralia
3/2/2016 9:47:08 PM #

Fantastic - than you for sharing that - I would never have thought to use the Die in that way.  Chantell JAI

Lisa ann Bernard
Lisa ann BernardUnited States
3/6/2016 4:07:42 AM #

That's awesome!  I've never seen a need for that die until this card!  I love it!

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: