Butterfly Basics Reverse Panel Card

by Joanne James29. February 2016 09:00

Another Monday, another week! I have a busy week in store and am looking forward to it already! Firstly, to all those celebrating a leap year birthday today - a very happy birthday to you! Today I am sharing a card using this week's sketch over at Freshly Made Sketches and the colours over at Pals Paper Arts:

Pals Paper Arts PPA289

I knew immediately how I wanted today's card to look and had a clear picture in my mind. My card did turn out as I hoped, save for the need to flip the sketch to its mirror image - take a look:

I turned to my 'Butterfly Basics' stamp set for my card today. I haven't used this set in ages and it's so easy to forget the great sets in the current annual catalogue when we have Sale-A-Bration and the current seasonal catalogue to keep us busy. I just knew that the long stemmed flower was going to be perfect for that long panel though. I stamped the image in Night Of Navy and coloured the flower with Blushing Bride and Pear Pizzazz inks and my blender pen. I matted this image on pink and navy, the reversed this matting for my sentiment, which I stamped in Versamark and heat embossed in white. I stamped my butterfly in Night of Navy on both sides of a piece of vellum and punched it out with my Itty Bitty Butterfly punch and adhered it to my sentiment panel. I also covered my butterfly liberally in Wink of Stella, which adds such a lovely sparkle in real life. I had to mirror-image the sketch because of the way the leaves fall on the stem - I'm hoping Jen isn't going to be too upset by this! Lastly, to finish I added a trio of Blushing Bride enamel dots from the Love Blossoms Embellishment kit. I just love these - they are so sparkly! This is one of those cards that makes great use of colour to accentuate the layers and by stamping the flower in Night of Navy instead of grey or black the whole thing really co-ordinates well.

Here is today's visual summary for easy reference:

I have my piano lesson this morning then am off to London today for an appointment before returning in time for the school run. So a busy day in store! Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

2/29/2016 6:50:38 PM #

Wow, you took a challenging color palette and created a vision of loveliness!  Just beautiful!

Brian King
Brian KingUnited States
2/29/2016 8:46:22 PM #

I love this card, Joanne.  What a great combination of these two challenges!  I love how the bold square with the sentiment plays against the soft flowers. Thank you so much for playing along with this week’s Pals Paper Arts Color Challenge!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
2/29/2016 9:24:37 PM #

So pretty Joanne!

Linda Callahan
Linda CallahanUnited States
2/29/2016 10:16:10 PM #

This is so pretty!  Great combo of both challenges!  I love that sweet butterfly by the sentiment!

Jen Brum
Jen BrumCanada
3/1/2016 12:19:56 AM #

Beautiful card!  Love those pretty flowers and that wonderful sentiment!  Thanks for joining us this week at Freshly Made Sketches!

Peggy Noe
Peggy NoeUnited States
3/1/2016 4:18:20 AM #

Perfect balance of the colors and the panels!  Especially love the vellum and navy butterfly!  Thank you for joining us for this weeks' Pals Paper Arts Color Challenge!

Windy Ellard
Windy EllardUnited States
3/1/2016 2:53:09 PM #

Sweet card...so soft and beautiful water coloring.  Thank you for playing along with the Pals color challenge this week!

Rae
RaeUnited States
3/1/2016 9:51:44 PM #

The perfect stamp set for this color combo.  Beautiful!   Thank you for playing along with Pals Paper Arts Color Team this week. Hope to see you again soon!

Shawn de Oliveira
Shawn de OliveiraUnited States
3/1/2016 10:49:01 PM #

Beautiful work coloring the flower. I love how the challenge colors look on this card. It was also a smart idea to move the square from the sketch to the right. It keeps the eye inside the card and works better with the direction of the flower. Thanks for playing with Pals Paper Arts.

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: