Smooshing Into 2016 With A New Technique

by Joanne James1. January 2016 09:00

A new card for a new year! I know I shared a new year card with you yesterday - well, I have another one for you today! As a rule I only send one happy new year card each year, to my mother-in-law for hosting our family New Year's gathering, however when I saw that the theme this week over at Global Design Project was CASE The Designer and set eyes on Bibi Cameron's gorgeous card, inspiration most definitely struck. Here is her original card:

Isn't it lovely? I was really attracted to the background and decided to have a go at another technique that my good friend Kim Fee over at Simply Fairies affectionately calls the 'smooshing technique' as the basis for my card. So here is my card:

You might wonder why I struggled with this background - looks simple enough, right? Well, having thrown away many a piece of ruined cardstock I would have to disagree - there is clearly an art to getting it right! The lovely Kim recently made a short video after much pleading by myself and other smoosh-challenged friends; you can watch it here and I seriously recommend you do if you want to try this technique as it contains some great hints and tips.

I used extra-thick Whisper White cardstock for my base, then created my inked layer on a piece of shimmery white cardstock using Pacific Point, Island Indigo and Night of Navy inks. The cardstock gives the card a wonderful all over shimmer in real life. I then used the stars stamp from Holly Jolly Greetings (a carryover set, yay!) stamped in Versamark and heat embossed in gold for added interest, then used some gold glimmer numbers, diecut using the new Large Numbers Framelits Dies (love these!). My Hello is from the 'Crazy About You' stamp set, which I popped up on dimensionals and finished with a trio of gold metallics sequins.

I really love the randomness of this background, which is quite different from my usual style, even though the card still feels true to me. So thanks Bibi and Kim for the inspiration for today's card. I hope it inspires you too to create something a little different this week - the new year is full of new creative possibilities and I am so looking forward to sharing them with you!

Happy New Year wishes to you all, my customers, blog and social media followers and friends and the ladies over at SUO Challenges where I'm linking up my second New Year card. I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Available January 5th:

140622 Large Numbers Framelits Dies

Julia Quinn
Julia QuinnAustralia
1/2/2016 2:25:11 AM #

Your card is divine and thank you SO much for sharing the link for the smoothing technique.  I will definitely be trying this. So thanks for the inspiration too!  So glad you joined the fun at SUO,

Julie Gearinger
Julie GearingerUnited States
1/2/2016 1:58:14 PM #

Oh my, Joanne, this is a fabulous smooshed background!!!  Love this technique and your colors along with the gold numbers looks amazing (I am sure it is even better IRL) Smile  Thanks for sharing with us at SUO Challenges- hugs and Happy New Year!

Kim Fee
Kim FeeUnited Kingdom
1/2/2016 2:28:12 PM #

I Love your case take, you uave totally made it your own,  I look forward to more makes using this technique ,

Paula Dobson
Paula DobsonNew Zealand
1/2/2016 9:00:03 PM #

I love the background you have created with this fab technique Joanne, which replicates Bibi's background beautifully!  This is a technique I am definitely going to have to add to my class repertoire! Thanks for playing at Global Design Project with us.  Happy New Year!

Cheryll Miller
Cheryll MillerAustralia
1/2/2016 10:33:37 PM #

What a lovely card and background Joanne! This would also make a lovely Project Life piece! Thanks for sharing the link to tech video. Cheers Cheryll

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
1/2/2016 11:32:03 PM #

Well, it certainly looks like you NAILED this technique.  That is absolutely gorgeous and I'm going to have to try it soon!  Love the gold glimmer contrast with those colors, too!  Thanks for playing along with the New Year's theme challenge on SUO Challenges this time!

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
1/3/2016 2:03:11 PM #

STUNNING!!!  It is something when something looks and sounds so simple to do and then when you go to do it...well...it is another story!  You really nailed it!  Thanks for joining (AGAIN) the SUO challenge!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
1/3/2016 5:27:54 PM #

You are a great "smoosher!" Lol! I think you have got this technique down, it looks wonderful, and so fun for a New Years card. So good to be back with PP..I have missed everyone over vacation. Happy New Year!

Karen Barber
Karen BarberUnited States
1/3/2016 10:44:05 PM #

This card is awesome - I never heard of smooshing but if this didn't cut the mustard as a smooshed card, you need to name it yourself and claim it as your own!! ;) Awesome job!

Brian King
Brian KingUnited States
1/4/2016 1:01:35 PM #

The smooshing technique is perfect here, Joanne.  What a gorgeous texture you've created in the background of this card!  It's beautiful.  Thank you so much for playing along with this CASE the Designer Challenge at the Global Design Project.

Helen Jennings
Helen JenningsUnited Kingdom
1/6/2016 12:48:02 PM #

I am feeling the urge to smoosh!!!

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: