Hearth and Home Winter Snow Christmas Shaker Card

by Joanne James8. November 2015 09:00

It's Sunday and time for a new challenge over at The Paper Players! This week it's my turn to host and I have a festive colour scheme to get your creative juices flowing this week:

I'm not generally a big fan of black and white, but I am fascinated by the idea of black and white with pops of colour and a little sparkle - I find this can completely change the look and feel of a card. I've been spending lots of time this week playing with my Hearth and Home framelits and co-ordinating Happy Scenes stamp set, as this is what my November technique classes will be using. We are also learning how to make shaker cards so I couldn't resist making one to share with you today:

For my card base and window frame, I used extra thick Whisper White and covered the front with a piece of striking black and white patterned paper from the Winter Wonderland Specialty Designer Series Paper - this paper has a lovely sheen to it and looks really luxurious so was the perfect choice for my 'wallpaper'. I stamped my insert using the winter image from the 'Happy Scenes' stamp set in Memento Black on Whisper White, and I used some Tombo Glue, Dazzling Diamonds and White embossing powder to create some dimensional snow on my trees in the same way as I did on my card last Thursday. I also stamped the corner snowflakes on my window in Versamark and heat embossed in silver before adding my foam tape and filling my window with a combination of white and silver sequins and some Dazzling Diamonds. I stamped my sentiment on a simple banner beneath my window and anchored it to my card with a red poinsetta button from the Home For Christmas Designer Button set threaded with silver cord trim. The button is the only spot of additional colour on my card - and I love it!

There's something so special about a shaker card - I guarantee if you give someone a card you can shake it will make them smile!

The Paper Players Design Team
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
Amy Koenders
Jodi McKinney
Lisa Elton
Anne Marie Hile - on leave

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than three challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing what you make with my colour palette this week. I'm off for a morning of basketball and then lunch and something fun with the children in the afternoon - we might make a start on their Christmas cards for their classmates, who knows?

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
11/10/2015 1:52:21 AM #

Oh Joanne, I love this!  The little pop of red is fabulous and I love the icy details of your winter scene.  How clever to use embossing powder as snow outside your window!  Love the embossed snowflakes too--just a fantastic card and such a fun challenge!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
11/10/2015 11:51:09 AM #

That patterned paper is so sharp! I love the black with the white and that pop of red is so eye catching, Joanne...great shaker!!!

11/10/2015 5:30:27 PM #

Joanne, I love this card!  I am a fan of black and white, but that pop of red does the trick!  Just WOW!  Oh, who wouldn't  love to shake this card and receive HAPPY mail this gorgeous!  XX

Jodi
JodiUnited States
11/11/2015 2:33:49 PM #

Oh Joanne!  what a stunner!  Love this shaker card!!  so much fun detail.

11/12/2015 1:30:37 AM #

This is so striking with the black, white, red & silver.  But the SNOW...the GLITTER.....the SEQUINS....the SNOWFLAKES!  Awesome!

Amy Koenders
Amy KoendersUnited States
11/12/2015 6:31:54 PM #

This is so pretty!  I love the shaker card filled with glittery snow.  Great colors and fantastic design!  Smile

Dana
DanaUnited States
11/13/2015 8:06:58 AM #

Joanne, I love your choice of DSP for this card.  Beautifully black and bold and makes me think of wallpaper with the window die cut.  The splash of red from the button is the perfect finishing touch.

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
11/13/2015 2:27:30 PM #

Joanne, I'm also not a real fan of black and white - but your challenge this week really proves your point about how adding a little pop of color and shine can really change it up!  This card is stunning... the snowflakes and sequins inside your shaker are fabulous and that little pop of red is just perfect!
hugs
jaydee

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current September hostess code:

TSEGA7FU

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!