Cacti Galore!

by Joanne James13. August 2015 08:05

Today it's time for a new challenge over at Create With Connie and Mary and this week we have a great colour challenge for you:

I actually have two cards for you today. I saw this colour combination and immediately thought of cacti and deserts - yes, really! Here's the first card - can you guess what stamp I used to create my cactus plant?

To create my cacti I used a neat little trick that I saw on Becky Cowley's blog here - using one of the Watercolour Wings butterflies to stamp the cactus shape - isn't that clever?!

I placed my cactus in a flowerpot cut out of kraft cardstock with the Handpicked Framelits and topped it with flowers punched from the Itty Bitty Accents punch, with candy dot centres. To finish my card, I added some Tangerine Tango bakers twine that I had leftover from an old Tag-a-Bag accessory kit (you could use white as an alternative). I'm not sure my cactus on this card is quite as convincing as Becky's version, but I love the idea all the same. It's great when a stamp set offers the flexibility to do more with it than intended - and this one certainly does!

This colour combination appealed to me more than I first thought it would, so having created the above card I then created another - still with my cactus theme, although this card uses the cactus from the 'Yee Haw' set which I understand is now sold out (boo hoo - I love this set!):

I used Cucumber Crush for my base and two of the co-ordinating DSP patterns in the Cherry on Top stack on my card - one for the mat and the other for my paper-pieced cactus, which is stamped using the 'Yee Haw' stamp set. My sky is stamped using 'Work of Art' in Pacific Point, with the sand in Tangerine Tango using one of the stamps in the Sheltering Tree set. To finish I fussy-cut my bright orange sun from the lovely hostess set, Silhouettes and Script, and popped it up on dimensionals.

Do visit the other Design Team members to see how they used this week's challenge colours; there's lots of inspiration over on their blogs too!

Enjoy your day and I'll be back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

• Cherry On Top Designer Series Paper Stack
  • Pacific Point A4 Cardstock
  • Handpicked Framelits Dies
  • Kraft 12" X 12" Cardstock

Jenny Engelke
Jenny Engelke United States
8/13/2015 2:40:49 PM #

Wow! I LOVE both of these cards! The little cactus made from the butterfly wings is genius!!!! I adore the fun paper pieced cactus in the second card too, and the fact that you paired it with the sun from silhouettes and script makes it SO CUTE! Awesome job!!!!

Andrea W
Andrea WUnited States
8/14/2015 5:42:44 PM #

Both cards are fantastic Joanne! I really love your paper-pieced cactus on your second card. The colors were a lot of fun to work with. Thanks for the inspiration!

Laurie
LaurieUnited States
8/14/2015 9:29:45 PM #

Love your cards, especially the cactus scene using the cactus from the YeeHaw set.  Really cute.

Lisa Young
Lisa YoungUnited States
8/17/2015 3:12:26 PM #

Both cards are fabulous! I love the desert theme - never would have thought of that! And I love the creative use of stamps - super cute!

Lisa Martz
Lisa MartzUnited States
8/17/2015 6:49:49 PM #

Well...aren't you an overachiever!  LOVE both of your cards for this week's challenge!  Your use of the butterfly for the cactus is clever and I love how that green DSP looks like the prickles on a cactus.  Very fun cards!

Alison Barclay
Alison BarclayAustralia
8/18/2015 12:30:37 PM #

Both cards are fabulous....very clever to get a cactus from that butterfly stamp. Beautiful clean and simple card. Smile

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
8/18/2015 12:40:31 PM #

Genius!  I love both of these cards!  Yes, I'm SO sad that Yee-Haw is gone...such a great set and so different.  But I love how you did the cactus with the butterfly wing.  Such a CAS design, too!  Great job with the color challenge this week!

Margaret Raburn
Margaret RaburnUnited States
8/19/2015 1:43:33 AM #

Both of your cards are just so clever!  I love how the little cactus was created using the butterfly stamp; it's wonderful when stamps can be used in unexpected ways isn't it!  I love how you used the sun/sentiment with the cactus from Yee-Haw....what an absolutely great combo!!  You went over-the-top this week with your creative cards!

Chris Slogar
Chris SlogarUnited States
8/19/2015 3:55:21 AM #

Wow!  You thought desert?  Very creative!  Love both of the cards!  How clever to use the butterfly wings like that.

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current February hostess code:

N7UTJ3DY

2020 Spring-Summer Mini Catalogue

Co-ordination Product Release

Step up your co-ordination game by purchasing these exclusive products that co-ordinate with Sale-A-Bration and Spring mini catalogue items. There is no limit to how many you can order, but they are only available 4 February - 31st march whilst supplies last! Read more here.