World of Dreams Meets All Abloom

by Joanne James10. May 2015 10:00

It's Sunday - my favourite day of the week and time for a new challenge over at The Paper Players. I loved the variety of the transportation-themed cards in the gallery last week. This week, the lovely LeAnne has an interesting colour challenge for you to play along with:

I'm also playing along with the TGIF Challenge this week as I've used their sketch as the inspiration for my layout this week. So I deliberately used the word 'interesting' for LeAnne's choice of colours this week - this colour combo had me stumped for a good long while! Then I remembered the piece of Lost Lagoon and Pistachio Pudding patterned DSP in the All Abloom paper stack; I think it's the only piece I've never used (and I've been through a few packs!) as I prefer the pattern on the reverse,so I decided to challenge myself to see if I could make it work on today's card. Here is my finished card:

I used Sahara Sand for my base and a mat of Lost Lagoon, then went all out and covered the entire card front with my DSP. This is such a busy pattern, I knew I would have to be careful what else I used on my card to avoid it looking too busy. For my focal point, I chose to stamp one of the silhouette flower stamps in Pistachio Pudding on a circle in the same colour - the paper pattern reminded me of this set - and stamp the sentiment over the top in Lost Lagoon. I mounted this on a slightly larger circle of Lost Lagoon and then a piece of Sahara Sand cut with my Big Shot and a Deco Label framelit. I mounted this on a banner of Sahara Sand that I added a little lace trim to in the same colour - something for a little texture and interest, but not wanting to clash with the strong pattern. Lastly, I added a piece of Lost Lagoon ribbon that I ruched across the front of the card.

This isn't my usual type of card, but I quite like it. The Sahara Sand does a great job of toning down the pattern and also meant I didn't use any Whisper White cardstock at all, which is quite unusual, not even for my sentiment panel. The thing that pleases me most though - I actually managed to use the sheet of patterned paper effectively!

Before you reach for your paper and inks, check out what our amazing team has created to inspire you this week:

The Paper Players Design Team
Anne Marie Hile
 Jaydee
Laurie Schmidt
Nance Leedy
Sandy Mathis
Debbie Mageed
Karren Johnson
Shannon Jaramillo

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than three challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing how you interpret this week's colour palette. I'm off to finish the preparation for my technique classes this week and enjoy the rest of the weekend.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
5/10/2015 3:16:41 PM #

Such a pretty card, Joanne! I love how you combined the challenge colors with that fun sketch, too. The little piece of ruffled ribbon is a wonderful touch. I’m glad you used that pattern from the paper stack… i chuckled when I read your comment. I think we all have that ONE pattern in ever pack, that never gets used, for whatever reason. Ha! Have a great day! Smile

James Weber
James WeberUnited States
5/10/2015 5:06:15 PM #

So glad we could inspire your layout for the "interesting" colour selection Smile  The lace was a perfect touch of texture!

Hideko
HidekoUnited States
5/10/2015 6:02:26 PM #

Love this card! I love the way you used the two kinds of ribbon!

Teneale Williams
Teneale WilliamsAustralia
5/11/2015 6:17:19 AM #

Goodess me, this card is just beautiful. The Lost Lagoon ribbon looks great.

KarrenJ
KarrenJNew Zealand
5/11/2015 7:40:50 AM #

Perfect mix of the colors and patterns.  And the lace is a gorgeous touch!

5/11/2015 1:25:50 PM #

LOL, I know what you mean about that particular DSP....not my favorite, either, but I love how you used it and it turned out delightfully!  What a great sentiment too....someone will enjoy this card for sure!  Thanks for rocking my challenge!

Hatti
HattiGermany
5/11/2015 4:27:33 PM #

Lovely card! I I like the sahara sand lace trim and the creation of your card! (and I hope my english is good enough) Smile Many greetings from Germany to UK.

Shannon Jaramillo
Shannon JaramilloUnited States
5/11/2015 9:02:47 PM #

Great use of that patterned paper, Joanne! You chose a challenging sketch to pair with the colour combination, and carried it off beautifully! BTW, did you know that my American spell check tells me that 'colour' is spelled incorrectly...lol! Excited to see the new ribbon in use, it's so pretty, and I love the way you used the Lost Lagoon ribbon...lovely card!!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
5/12/2015 12:31:03 PM #

I didn't even think of this paper pack but look at how lovely it looks and how perfectly it fits the challenge colors!  Great use of the sketch too and I really like the addition of the lace ribbon--adds so much texture.  A lovely card, Joanne!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
5/13/2015 1:31:10 AM #

So pretty! I love the soft lace, such a nice touch. Great idea!

Sandy mathis
Sandy mathisUnited States
5/13/2015 3:27:50 AM #

Very pretty, Joanne! I like the layout, the different shapes, and your treatment of the ribbons. Great use of the colors!

Kaitlyn Zumbach
Kaitlyn ZumbachUnited States
5/13/2015 11:00:24 PM #

Cute card! I agree, the color combination is interesting but you pulled it off. Thanks for joining us at TGIF!

5/13/2015 11:48:04 PM #

Joanne, this is just lovely!  I love how you used that DSP in this card.  I have not used mine because I wasn't quite sure how to pull it off!  Splendid, My Friend!  The lace ribbon is gorgeous and your sketch is perfect!  XX

Debbie Mageed
Debbie MageedUnited States
5/14/2015 3:02:42 PM #

Don't like that DSP?? It was made for this card! What a beautiful card with a great sketch. The ribbons are perfectly done. GREAT card!!

Current July hostess code:

WPMS44B7

Bonus Days Are Back!

Spend £45 or more in July and receive a £4.50 voucher to use against August purchases. Read more here