Hello There Birdie - A Feathered Friend For The Paper Players

by Joanne James15. February 2015 09:00

It's Sunday and time for this week's challenge over at The Paper Players - and this week it's a double does of excitement as I am hosting my very first challenge with this wonderfully talented group of ladies. 'Feathered friends' is the theme of my clean and simple challenge this week so I'm looking for a bird (or two!) on your card! Here is the wonderful challenge badge that the lovely Nance has created for this week's challenge:

This is one of those challenges when I was truly spoilt for choice - there are lots of great bird images around at the moment. I decided after my busy week that I was definitely in need of some theraputic colouring, so decided to reach for the quirky bird stamp in the Spring-Summer hostess set, 'Time To Celebrate':

Since this bird doesn't look like any I've ever seen in my garden, I decided to throw caution to the wind and colour him in some totally tropical colours and really go to town! I used my Daffodil Delight and Rich Razzleberry Blendabilities markers and a Tempting Turquoise Stampin' Write marker and got colouring. I love that you can colour images like this and you really don't need to be any kind of expert to get a good result. Here's a close up of my bird so that you can see just how imprecise my colouring is:

I really would urge anyone who is reading this and not tried colouring with Blendabilities to give it a go - I guarantee you'll like the results! I paired my bird with a piece of brightly coloured 'Sweet Taffy' paper and added a few simple banners in co-ordinating colours to finish off my card. I love the colours I used on my card today - Brights are my favourite of the Stampin' Up! colour families, and whilst there isn't a huge amount of 'white space' on my card due to my piece of bold, patterned DSP I love the finished card, which I think still has a clean feel with minimal layers and embellishments.

Before you reach for your ink pads, do visit the other design team members to see what interesting ideas they've had this week:

The Paper Players Design Team

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
3.  Please link your card to no more than three challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing your bird projects in the gallery this week, whether chirpy, quirky or just plain feathered! The children are on half-term holiday this week so we are having a more restful week than usual. I was almost ready for a sport-free day today, when Ben was selected to play in a basketball tournament this afternoon. He is really excited about it though as it's his first one and he LOVES basketball, so is really looking forward to it.

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
2/15/2015 4:43:30 PM #

Joanne what a wonderful challenge you have given us this week! I love your happy, quirky, colorful bird, especially that he is wearing glasses. A nerdy-bird, perhaps?

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
2/15/2015 6:17:06 PM #

I [heart] this challenge Joanne!  Not only was it fun to make a card for it, I loved making the badge too!  So glad you liked it.  I also loved learning about National Nest Box week--what fun!  Your quirky geek bird is adorable.  Love that his is sporting such a daring outfit and doing it in style!  Great job, my friend!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
2/15/2015 7:02:48 PM #

This was a fun challenge! I love your cute, colorful, feathered friend. He looks so fine with that fun DP behind him!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
2/16/2015 2:18:38 AM #

Adorable, Joanne! I love this bird!!! What a cutie! I love how you colored him.  Great challenge...I had so much fun creating my DT card!

KarrenJ
KarrenJNew Zealand
2/16/2015 4:49:16 AM #

This is such a fun-looking bird and I love how you've colored him in such bright colors, Joanne!  Great challenge and a fabulous card!

2/17/2015 6:54:01 PM #

He's like no bird I've ever seen, either!  But he sure is pretty, and bright and cheerful, which makes me happy on  a cold snowy day like today!

Debbie Mageed
Debbie MageedUnited States
2/18/2015 4:17:53 AM #

Your challenge and the resulting quirky bird (his new name!) are so fun! I agree that the Blendies are making stamping so much fun. I really have enjoyed bringing out old stamps to color. Thanks for your inspiration!

Andrea W
Andrea WUnited States
2/19/2015 10:58:43 PM #

Fun challenge Joanne! I love how you colored the bird using bright colors. Terrific card!

jaydee
jaydeeUnited States
2/20/2015 3:55:10 AM #

Joanne, first... LOVE this challenge Smile  Secondly, I didn't want this stamp when I saw it... but you really have me questioning that decision.  I love the coloring on the bird and it brings a smile to my face.  Fab layout, too.
Hugs
Jaydee

Shannon Jaramillo
Shannon JaramilloUnited States
2/21/2015 11:46:24 PM #

Joanne, firstly, thanks for the fun challenge this week! Secondly, I love your colorful bird! I'm so glad you threw caution to the wind when coloring him...he's adorable. And I think you have the perfect amount of white space on your card. It would not have the same impact if you had used a white card base. And I love the pop of Rich Razzleberry-beautiful!

Christmastime Is Here - an exclusive collection of fabulous festive florals that will be available will supplies last from November 1st!

Current November hostess code: