Hey, Valentine - I'm Glad You're In My School!

by Joanne James25. January 2015 07:00

It's Sunday and time for a new challenge over at The Paper Players. Last week we were truly overwhelmed with the response to LeAnne's CAS challenge. This week Jaydee has a great sketch for us - and you know how much I love a good sketch! Here is the sketch:

My card today is a cute Valentine, where I finally got around to use some of the bokeh-patterned paper in the Best Day Ever Sale-A-Bration pack - take a look:

The bokeh effect on the DSP reminded me of light rippling through the clear blue water of the Caribbbean seas, so the fishes were an obvious addition! I stamped the fishes in Memento Black ink on Whisper White, then coloured them in with my Pink Pirouette, Melon Mambo, Crumb Cake and Bermuda Bay Blendabilties pens. I layered this circle on top of two more to echo the bubbles in the water, then stamped the sentiment from the same 'Hey. Valentine' stamp set on a strip of Pool Party across the bottom, having masked off my stamp first. All of the images in this stamp set are perfect for this - they can all be used for non-valentine's cards too. In fact, this was one of the things that appealed to me about the set - it will make some great children's birthday cards too. I added a strip of Bermuda Bay sequins to the sentiment strip for a little extra sparkle and my favourite embellishment is the little Crystal Effects added to the spotty fish for his spectacles - here's a close up:

However cute are they?! I hope you like today's card - I love the way that the circular patterns are echoed throughout. Before you reach for your ink pads, do visit the other design team members to see what interesting ideas they've had this week:

The Paper Players Design Team

Here's a quick recap of our challenge rules:

1.  Create a new paper project
2.  Upload your creation to your blog with a link back to us and provide a direct link to the post featuring your challenge submission.
3.  Please link your card to no more than three challenges, TOTAL.
4.  Have FUN!

I look forward to seeing your projects in the gallery this week. Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

Debbie Mageed
Debbie MageedUnited States
1/25/2015 3:41:46 PM #

What a fantastic Valentine card! I love your coloring on the cute fishies! Adding the Crystal Effects on his glasses was genius.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/26/2015 11:10:44 AM #

Thanks Debbie - I think this stamp is so cute, whether for Valentine's or not and I too love the fun spectacles!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
1/25/2015 5:43:54 PM #

Absolutely adorable, Joanne!  Love the colors, love the bubbles, love everything about it especially the glossy glasses--what a clever idea!  Great way to use the sketch and this stamp set!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/26/2015 11:11:51 AM #

Thanks Nance - not particularly true-to-life in my colour choice, but some fun fishes all the same!

KarrenJ
KarrenJNew Zealand
1/25/2015 5:59:32 PM #

These fish are just too cute and colored so beautifully too!  Love the triple circles - they really pack a punch on this gorgeous card.

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/26/2015 11:12:36 AM #

Thanks Karren - I'm really pleased with how this card turned out, glad you like my layered circles too!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
1/25/2015 11:25:16 PM #

This is so, so cute, Joanne! I love the delicious colors, your coloring of the cute little fish, and also how you layered the circle element three times. Fabulous card!

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/26/2015 11:12:57 AM #

Thanks Sandy - so glad you like my fun Valentine!

Ann Schach
Ann SchachUnited States
1/26/2015 12:03:57 AM #

Oh my gosh...this is just the cutest card!  The sentiment is adorable. I love the coloring.  This definitely brought a smile to my face Smile

Joanne JamesUnited Kingdom
1/26/2015 11:13:18 AM #

That's so sweet Ann - always nice when a card makes you smile!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
1/27/2015 3:10:26 PM #

This is terrific! I love everything...the paper,sentiment, and of course the cute image!

Shannon Jaramillo
Shannon JaramilloUnited States
1/27/2015 6:44:41 PM #

I just love the repetition of circles in your card! I will admit to not being a fan of this stamp set, but you have colored it SO beautifully!! I just love it!

1/27/2015 10:10:58 PM #

Wowza....this is one cutie-patootie card!  Love these little fishies, and your coloring is incredible!  I don't know why I have been missing all your posts, I finally added you to my Feedly so I can see all your amazing creations every day!

Stephanie K
Stephanie KCanada
1/30/2015 5:50:54 AM #

This is such a fun little card - I love everything about this one Joanne!!

1/30/2015 7:18:49 PM #

Joanne, this is just adorable!!!!!  I love the coloring and the those glossy eyes just make it even better!  It is a card that would make anyone smile!  XX

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
1/30/2015 8:51:30 PM #

Joanne, I love everything about your card! Those fish are too cute but they just pop with the color combo you used. The shiny glasses are such a great touch, too. Absolutely adorable!

Jaydee
JaydeeUnited States
1/30/2015 10:16:14 PM #

Joanne, this card had me laughing out loud.   I love the bokken effect paper with the fishes and you are right.... it is so distinctly caribbean in feel.  The fact that you put Crystal Effects on the glasses of the fish is fabulous.   Wonderful take on the sketch - thank you for rocking my challenge this week
Hugs
Jaydee
P.S.  hope you are coping with all that SNOW!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current August hostess code:

CVAQTGE2

Spend Your Bonus Day Coupons!

Spend your £4.50 vouchers earned in July on your Stampin' Up! purchases before 31st August.

Paper Pumpkin Is Coming!