Crazy About ... The Hello You Thinlits!

by Joanne James11. January 2015 07:00

It's Sunday and time for this week's challenge over at The Paper Players, where today Anne has a great colour challenge for us:

I also used the current sketch over at The Deconstructed Sketch as the basis for the layout of my card. So for my card today I've had the first opportunity to play with one of my most favourite products from the new Spring-Summer catalogue: the new 'Hello You' thinlits. I loved the Expressions thinlits we had previously and I still use mine and would never part with them, so I was delighted to see a whole new set of word thinlits in the new catalogue, and the fabulous 'Crazy About You' stamp set that co-ordinates with them. The number of sentiment possibilities are endless! Anyway, using Anne's colour choice today, this is what I came up with:

I went with a square card and lots of layers. The layers are Sahara Sand and Lost Lagoon, with the Sahara Sand DSP from the 'Moonlight' DSP paper stack. I die cut the word 'hello' from my central Sahara Sand square, then inlaid this with another 'Hello' diecut in Crisp Cantaloupe, allowing the Lost Lagoon from the layer below to show through into the negative space. I finished my sentiment with a 'you' stamped in Lost Lagoon on a banner of Whisper White, that I tucked under my Crisp Cantaloupe stamped flower. I diecut some leaves and a centre for my flower from Lost Lagoon cardstock using my Flower Frenzy Bigz Die, then finished it with a white button threaded with Crisp Cantaloupe thick baker's twine. I love how the 'Hello You' thinlit dies can be used in so many ways. Just look at the detail on this close-up:

I hope you like this card and are as crazy about the new thinlits dies as I am. Watch this space for lots more ideas from me!

We are back to hockey and rugby following the Christmas break today; no rest for the parents of sporty ones, it seems! At least dinner is prepared and will be in the slow cooker waiting for us on our return. Before you reach for your ink pads, do visit the other design team members to see what interesting ideas they've had this week:

The Paper Players Design Team

I look forward to seeing your projects in the gallery this week. Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Nancy Lempinen
Nancy LempinenUnited States
1/11/2015 1:16:25 PM #

Love your card and the use of Lost Lagoon color filling in just enough of the letters in the die cut, it really brings everything together, lovely card!

1/16/2015 8:13:09 PM #

Thanks Nance - I am in love with these thinlits and there are so many ways to use them!

Laurie schmidt
Laurie schmidtUnited States
1/11/2015 5:35:56 PM #

I love your inlaid hello! The detail does look amazing. What a fun, cheerful card. I just love the challenge colors this week!

1/16/2015 8:13:56 PM #

Thanks Laurie - I love that you can play around and achieve so many different effects with these thinlits. I love this colour combo too!

KarrenJ
KarrenJNew Zealand
1/11/2015 6:47:59 PM #

This is such a bright and cheerful card - I love the flower and leaves - so Spring-like.

1/16/2015 8:45:53 PM #

Thanks Karren - I am willing the Spring to arrive, although I think we're set for more cold weather here in the UK first!

Debbie Mageed
Debbie MageedUnited States
1/11/2015 8:08:26 PM #

What a pretty card! I love how you layered the dies!! The color challenge has everyone thinking of warmer temps - something I could really enjoy right now! Definitely CASEing this one!

1/16/2015 8:49:37 PM #

Thanks Debbie - I agree, warmer temps would be nice! Feel free to case away - I'd be honoured!

1/11/2015 11:06:28 PM #

Joanne, I just love your card.  So spring like!  The inlaid HELLO die looks amazing like this!  Thanks for sharing this idea.  Try to find some time for YOU!  I know how hard it is getting children to all their activity and still have dinner ready!  XX

1/16/2015 8:59:08 PM #

So glad you like my card. Time for me? That doesn't happen often - but it's all the more appreciated when it does!

Stef Perry
Stef PerryUnited States
1/12/2015 2:35:20 AM #

Love what you've done with the thinlits, the inlay looks wonderful.  A cute and pretty card!

1/16/2015 8:59:29 PM #

Thanks Stef - so glad you like today's card!

Nance Leedy
Nance LeedyUnited States
1/12/2015 12:35:01 PM #

Wow, Joanne, the inlaid die cut is such a great technique here!  Love it with the new thinlits.  Lovely way to feature our colors this week.  Using blue for the leaves adds just a perfect touch of the unexpected--love that!  Hope the sporting events went well!  ((hugs))

1/16/2015 9:00:59 PM #

Hi Nance - I'm always slightly wary of using non-green colours for flower leaves, but sometimes the colour combo is such you can get away with it! The sport was good - although SOOOO cold!

1/13/2015 12:32:53 PM #

Love this, Joanne!  The details are amazing, and I always forget about that cool inlaid technique!  I think that Crazy About You stamp set is wonderful, I sure wish they would let us know if it was going to be in the big catalog next year!!!

1/16/2015 9:04:56 PM #

Thank you for your kind words LeAnne! This stamp set is going to be a favourite of mine and I totally agree with you - I would love to know if this is moving to the big catalogue; either way, just like my Expressions thinlits previously, I just know I wont be able to part with them!

Jen Shults
Jen ShultsUnited States
1/15/2015 2:16:52 PM #

This is so nice. It has such a wonderful peaceful and calm feel! Thanks for joining us at the Deconstructed Sketch!

1/16/2015 9:05:24 PM #

Thanks Jen for popping by to leave a comment - so glad you like today's card!

Shannon Jaramillo
Shannon JaramilloUnited States
1/15/2015 6:24:32 PM #

Such a pretty card, Joanne! Like everyone else, I love the inlaid die with the holes missing so the Lost Lagoon peeks through Smile All the details are so perfect, including your bow!! So cute!!

1/16/2015 9:10:08 PM #

Thanks Shannon - your kind words are appreciated!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
1/16/2015 2:07:46 AM #

What a wonderful card, Joanne! Love all the yummy layers, the inlaid sentiment, and the happy little flower. Great use of the challenge colors!

1/16/2015 9:10:48 PM #

Thanks Sandy - this colour combo turned out great didn't it?

ajdyee
ajdyeeUnited States
1/17/2015 1:39:20 AM #

Joanne, I love the way you inset the die cut sentiment and the flower is gorgeous.  Beautifully composed card.
Hugs
jaydee

1/17/2015 8:41:16 PM #

Thanks Jaydee!

Anne Marie Hile
Anne Marie HileUnited States
1/17/2015 4:41:54 AM #

Joanne, I love the way you layered the colors within the dies. What a wonderful idea! Such a cheerful card!

1/17/2015 8:44:32 PM #

Thanks Anne Marie - it is lovely to be able to work with Spring colours again!

Current July hostess code:

WPMS44B7

Bonus Days Are Back!

Spend £45 or more in July and receive a £4.50 voucher to use against August purchases. Read more here