A Trio of Flowers For The Color Throwdown

by Joanne James17. September 2014 07:00

This is the first of a number of blog posts today - so get comfy, lovely readers!

This is a bonus post for you today - following my card being chosen as the 'Featured Stamper' card at The Color Throwdown last week - you can see that card here - I was asked by the lovely Tammy Hershberger to be their Guest Star stamper this week for challenge number 310. So if you are reading my blog for the first time having popped over from CTD - welcome! Here is the colour palette and inspiration photo for this week's challenge:

I took the inspiration for my card from the colours and the photo and decided to go with something floral, featuring buttons and also some typeset designer series paper, albeit as the background for my flowers. Here is my card:

I used the leaves from the 'Kinda Eclectic' stamp set to stamp onto my typeset paper, then stamped a trio of flowers - Beautiful Bunch, Flower Shoppe and Petite Petals - in the challenge colours and created some nicely layered blooms with a variety of button centres to finish them off. I decided to finish off with something of a fussy bow using Vanilla seam binding ribbon tied with linen thread and the birthday sentiment from the Flower Patch stamp set. A bit of a departure from my usual style, and quite a product-heavy card too I'm afraid, but that's not always a bad thing!

Check out The Color Throwdown challenge page to see how the other designers have interpreted this week's challenge.

As for me, I have some work to do then a very important match to attend to this afternoon: my youngest is playing in his first rugby match at school so I'm off to cheer him along and remind him to wear his gumshield!!

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Lyn
Lyn Australia
9/17/2014 10:12:23 AM #

This is totally gorgeous <3

9/21/2014 9:07:43 PM #

Thanks Lyn - that's so kind of you!

Lisa Henke
Lisa HenkeUnited States
9/17/2014 1:09:21 PM #

wow! this is wonderful. Those flowers are stunning!

9/21/2014 9:08:09 PM #

Thank you Lisa - I don't do flowers often, so this makes a nice change for me!

Broni
BroniUnited States
9/17/2014 3:12:38 PM #

I love your card, Joanne!  The print background is just perfect for the flowers and your button centers are fabulous!  Thanks so much for being our Guest Star Stamper this week!

9/21/2014 9:09:03 PM #

Thanks Broni - so glad you like my card and so nice of you to pop by and leave a comment. Thanks so much for having me over at The Color Throwdown this week!

Wanda Cullen
Wanda CullenUnited States
9/17/2014 4:43:47 PM #

Joanne, your card is absolutely gorgeous!!  Love the subtle leaves stamped on the text BG!  Congrats on being our star stamper this week and hope to see you in the gallery again and again!

9/21/2014 9:10:10 PM #

Thanks so much Wanda - I didn't want to let you lovely ladies down! Thanks for having me and you will definitely be seeing me again in the CTD gallery so keep your eyes out!

Monika Davis
Monika DavisUnited States
9/17/2014 7:04:52 PM #

Beautiful card Joanne. Love the flowers you used. The colors are so pretty together. Congrats on being our Guest Star stamper this week.

9/21/2014 9:11:34 PM #

Thanks you Monika - great colour inspiration for my guest spot this week! Thanks for having me over at CTD - I look forward to participating again in future!

~amy~
~amy~United States
9/18/2014 2:56:17 AM #

How beautiful!

9/21/2014 9:11:56 PM #

Thanks Amy - so glad you like it!

9/18/2014 6:14:22 PM #

This is gorgeous!  I was thinking of using that paper as well....it works so well for the challenge photo!  Beautiful!

9/21/2014 9:12:48 PM #

Thank you LeAnne - I love your challenge entry this week too!

Sandy M
Sandy MUnited States
9/19/2014 1:32:04 AM #

This is gorgeous, Joanne! Love the colors, the flowers, the layout, everything!

9/21/2014 9:13:06 PM #

Thanks Sandy - so kind of you to say so!

Jodi Collins
Jodi CollinsUnited States
9/19/2014 3:50:34 PM #

What a GORGEOUS card!  I LOVE your layout with that beautiful background and those amazing flowers!!!  SO lovely!

9/21/2014 9:13:36 PM #

So glad you like it Jodi - thanks for popping by to leave such a kind comment!

Robin Feicht
Robin FeichtUnited States
9/19/2014 6:24:28 PM #

Gorgeous!  Your flowers really pop against the newsprint.

9/21/2014 9:15:02 PM #

Thanks Robin - I've been wanting to try flowers and stamping on newsprint for a while, and the challenge provided the perfect opportunity!

Tammy Hershberger
Tammy HershbergerUnited States
9/19/2014 8:31:28 PM #

Beautiful design!  Love the text background, and those buttons are fantastic!

9/21/2014 9:15:52 PM #

Thanks Tammy - I'm hoping I did justice to the lovely work that goes on over at The Color Throwdown; love these colours this week!

Vickie Z
Vickie ZUnited States
9/20/2014 12:01:42 AM #

Love it!! The flowers are perfect against the text background!! So glad you joined us this week!

9/21/2014 9:16:30 PM #

Thanks Vickie - this week's palette has awesome colours for flowers!

Lori
LoriUnited States
9/21/2014 4:02:42 AM #

This is gorgeous!  Love the fabulous button centers on your flowers

9/21/2014 9:17:16 PM #

Thanks Lori - cards like this make me realise I don't use buttons enough! I need to start using them more rather than collecting them!

Joan Ervin
Joan ErvinUnited States
9/21/2014 4:35:10 PM #

Your card is sooo pretty...I love the background paper and your flowers are fabulous!!! I'm so glad you were the GSS this week!!!

9/21/2014 9:18:06 PM #

Oh thank you Joan - that's sweet of you to say! I'm delighted to have been the guest star stamper over at The Color Throwdown this week!

Sale-A-Bration 2020

Shop, host, join - during Sale-A-Bration there's never been a better time! Offers valid until 31st March, whilst supplies last. Download your copy of the Sale-A-Bration leaflet by clicking on the image above.

Ever thought about becoming a Stampin' Up! demonstrator?For £99, you can create your own starter kit worth £130. During Sale-Bration, you will also receive a mini paper cutter, a 6"x6" Designer Series paper Sampler pack and a stamp set of your choice! Stampin' Up! has something for everyone: join my growing team and benefit from my support to enjoy Stampin' Up! however you choose.

Current January hostess code: