Sneak Peek - The Newborn King Christmas Card for Merry Monday

by Joanne James21. August 2014 20:41

Yesterday the beach, today Christmas! I follow the Merry Monday Christmas Challenge all year round, but must confess I don't often manage to enter 'out of season', even though I tell myself that this would be a good way to be more prepared with my own Christmas card stash! With lots of new pre-order items to play with though, this week there was no excuse! This week Sue's challenge is to use black, silver and gold on your Christmas card:

I don't usually use both gold and silver together on a card (I don't know why!), but when I saw this challenge I knew exactly what I wanted to make (I love it when that happens!) Here is my card featuring a new stampset called 'The Newborn King' from the new seasonal autumn-winter catalogue out next week (28th August - not long now!):

I stamped the single image in Versamark onto Basic Black cardstock and then heat embossed with gold embossing powder. I then took my gold Stampin' Dazzle marker and went over a few areas of the image and coloured them in. Slightly more tricky to see on my phototgraph, I then coloured in Joseph and Mary's clothes with the silver Stampin' Dazzle marker and their headdresses using my white gel pen. Lastly, I mounted this piece onto a mat of brushed silver then adhered this to my Basic Black card base.

I would not have thought of using black on a Christmas card in this way had it not been for the challenge and I'm really pleased with how this turned out. Also, it's embellishment-free, so is post-friendly too - bonus! Check out the lovely ladies over at Merry Monday for more festive design inspiration using this colour combination.

That's all from me today - back tomorrow with a one-week only sign-up deal that will knock your socks off; if you've been thinking about joining Stampin' Up!, then make sure you come back tomorrow for the low-down - this is one pre-Christmas deal you're not going to want to miss!

Until then, happy stampin'!

*The Newborn King - available 28th August

Tags: , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

Jean Fitch
Jean FitchUnited States
8/21/2014 10:04:10 PM #

Absolutely stunning Joanne.   And the basic idea was the exact one I had in mind when I saw the catalog during preview.  Though I hadn't thought about the silver as contrast.  That's perfect!  It's so great to see it fleshed out and know that it works out.  I love the wild trees.  Every time I see them it reminds me of needlework patterns I remember from the 1970's and 80's.  Now your project has me itching to reproduce the images in a gold stitchery format.  Hm...wonder if I first stamped the image in stazon on cloth and then stitched?  Thanks for sharing the inspiration!

8/22/2014 12:33:15 AM #

Thanks Jean! I wouldn't have included the silver had it not been in the challenge colours, but I do like the contrast. I love the idea of stitching this design - it reminds me too of retro stitched patterns. Would love to see this if you have a go - make sure you share the results!

Bonnie
BonnieUnited States
8/22/2014 12:16:51 AM #

Oh, my, Joanne, this is AWESOME! I didn't like this set when I saw it in the catalog, but now I LOVE it!  What a beautiful card!!! Thanks for sharing it with us at Merry Monday!

8/22/2014 12:35:17 AM #

Thank you so much Bonnie! Isn't it funny how we are all attracted to different things, but easily swayed when we see what others create? Last week's Merry Monday id that to me - I don't own a single pine cone set, but I really want one now!

Susan Joyce
Susan JoyceAustralia
8/22/2014 4:58:50 AM #

Your card is stunning Joanne, love every detail.  I didn't appreciate this stamp but you have shown me how beautiful it could be and now I have changed my opinion due to your amazing card.

8/23/2014 6:29:26 PM #

Thank you Susan! I loved this stamp when I first saw it, so am glad you are now on your way to seeing the potential!

Linda W
Linda WUnited Kingdom
8/22/2014 10:03:55 AM #

WOW!!  This is simply stunning! Linda xx

8/24/2014 9:32:44 AM #

Thanks Linda - so glad you like it!

laurie
laurieUnited States
8/22/2014 11:59:54 AM #

Wow I love this card...that new set is awesome!

8/24/2014 9:33:32 AM #

Thanks Laurie - I think it's a great set for post-friendly cards and there's actually a lot you can do with it.

Wendy Aungst
Wendy AungstUnited States
8/22/2014 2:05:54 PM #

Such a wonderful scene and I love the gold embossing! Fabulous card, Joanne! Thanks for playing along with us this week over at Merry Monday! Smile

8/24/2014 9:34:53 AM #

So glad you like it Wendy! It's been too long since I did a Merry Monday challenge, so am now trying to rectify that!

Nina
NinaCanada
8/22/2014 7:46:58 PM #

Lovely card Joanne, the CAS style is perfect. Thank you for joining us for Merry Monday.

8/24/2014 9:35:44 AM #

Thank you Nina - the colours worked really well with my card this week.

8/23/2014 6:04:52 AM #

Wow, you've made me look at this stamp in a whole different light!  I like the image but didn't feel like I could give it the attention it deserved, like I would have had to color in each portion of the image....and then you emboss it in gold and it takes on a whole new meaning!  Just lovely!  I like the little touch of silver too!  Very sweet.  Thanks for sharing this with us at Merry Monday this week!

8/24/2014 9:37:34 AM #

I know what you mean LeAnne - I bought this set because I thought it would make a good set for post-friendly flat cards, but to mass produce you need something quicker than colouring - the heat embossing seems to fit the bill!

Karren Johnson
Karren JohnsonNew Zealand
8/23/2014 8:01:31 AM #

Beautiful image and it looks so stunning gold-embossed!  Thanks so much for joining us at Merry Monday.

8/24/2014 9:39:31 AM #

Thank you Karen - I wouldn't have normally used black as the main colour of a Christmas card, but I'm really pleased how it worked out in this instance.

Vikki R
Vikki RAustralia
8/23/2014 9:04:07 AM #

What a lovely card Joanne and such a gorgeous stamp.

8/24/2014 9:39:53 AM #

Thanks Vikki - so glad you like it.

myrna sweet
myrna sweetCanada
8/24/2014 12:54:25 AM #

What a beautiful card...wonderful work!
Myrna

8/26/2014 3:20:03 PM #

Thanks Myrna - I'm really pleased with it too.

Greta H
Greta HUnited States
8/24/2014 8:03:24 AM #

Gorgeous card--wowzer!

8/26/2014 3:20:29 PM #

Thanks Greta - so sweet of you to pop by and leave such a nice comment Smile

8/25/2014 2:47:41 AM #

Joanne, this card is amazing!  I didn't think I liked this stamp until I saw your card!  Oh wow!  It is stunning embossed in the gold!  Wonderful work, My Friend!  XX

8/26/2014 3:22:09 PM #

Thank you Claire - the gold takes it to a whole other level, doesn't it? I loved the look of this stamp set from the moment I saw it, but judging by the comments on my blog I think I must have been in the minority!! So glad you like it. xx

cindy fodor
cindy fodorUnited States
9/3/2014 2:18:58 PM #

I just wanted to say that your card is the first thing I have seen that is good about that set...and your card is absolutely stunning!  Great job...now I have to buy that!

9/3/2014 11:04:17 PM #

Oh Cindy that is so kind of you! I love this set and have lots more plans with it - I'm so glad my card inspired you and that you popped by to leave such a kind comment!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current September hostess code:

ZMKAG7P2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!