Sea Street 'Be Unique' Card

by Joanne James20. August 2014 09:30

It's Wednesday so time for the challenge over at Colour Me...! where this week we have a subtle palette to work with:

This week I have another Sea Street card for you! These pinky-peach tones reminded me of lobsters and I had a piece of the Lost Lagoon wavy paper from the All Abloom stack sat on my desk leftover from another project, so I decided to go with an idea that I've had floating around in my head for a while! Here's today's card:

Using a base of Lost Lagoon, I adhered a couple of strips of the wavy paper from the All Abloom DSP paper stack to give the feeling of the sea, then created a mat using Burlap ribbon - I used three pieces, removed the side stitching and frayed the edge. I then took a pieces of Naturals Ivory cardstock and using my stamp-a-ma-jig, lined up 8 lobsters stamped in Crisp Cantaloupe in a grid shape. I stamped the ninth lobster in Calypso Coral, punch him out using the small oval punch them adhered him onto my card upside down, using a dimensional. I finished the panel with the sentiment 'Be unique' and a vintage button threaded with some linen twine, in keeping with my beach/rustic feel. Again, using my Alphabet Rotary stamp, I finished this sentiment on the inside of my card, as you can see below:

I made this card with Rebecca in mind; she will be back at school shortly and as children go, she is the ultimate conformist. I sometimes need to remind her that it's ok to be different and she should be confident to step away from the crowd at times, that uniqueness is something to be celebrated. I just love the Alphabet Rotary stamp for these kinds of one-off messages - so easy! I'm finding it really useful with my Project Life documenting too.

I hope you like my fun card this week - why not visit the other Colour Me...! designers and check out their takes on this week's colour combination:

Claire
Hayley
Julia
Sherrie
Tara
And our talented guest designer for August - Stephanie K

Back tomorrow with another project; until then, happy stampin'!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Cards | Stamping

8/20/2014 12:45:55 PM #

Joanne, another adorable card!  Rebecca will love it!  Those little crabs make me smile!  I love the use of the rotary stamp, too!  That burlap looks amazing and the button is perfect!  Smile)  XX

8/21/2014 12:29:37 PM #

Thanks Claire! What is it about carbs and lobsters that make them so cute?! And you NEED that rotary stamp Wink xx

8/21/2014 5:51:23 PM #

LOL....I LOVE this card!  So fun!

8/21/2014 8:39:31 PM #

Thanks LeAnne - I just find these sea creatures so cute!!

Tara Bourgoin
Tara BourgoinCanada
8/23/2014 4:24:48 PM #

Ok, this is just the cutest darn card I've ever seen! I LOVE how you've turned one of the lobsters upside down and the sentiment is perfect. The addition of the burlap in the background is so fab, and totally ties it all together. Great job, Joanne!!

8/23/2014 6:27:59 PM #

Thanks Tara - shows my quirky sense of humour! I just love the Sea Street set - it really is so versatile, you can use it in lots of different ways.

Stephanie K
Stephanie KCanada
8/24/2014 9:31:42 PM #

I love your little lobsters!  This card is gorgeous both on the inside and outside.  Love it!

8/26/2014 3:13:04 PM #

Thanks Stephanie - I so often forget to decorate the inside, yet it makes such a difference!

Hayley's Paper Garden
Hayley's Paper GardenCanada
8/26/2014 2:40:23 AM #

Oh my my my! I ADORE this card and your handmade sentiment ROCKS Smile

8/26/2014 3:13:34 PM #

Thanks Hayley - so glad you like my little lobsters!!

Autumn Winter Catalogue

Current November hostess code:

469YSGD2

The Stampin' Cut And Emboss Machine (standard size) Is Here!

Crafting has never looked this good! Contact me to get yours today.

Paper Pumpkin Is Here!

Share joy with the global Joy To The World Paper Pumpkin Kit! Available 3 November whilst stocks last!