Watercolour Wonder Hello

by Joanne James13. May 2014 21:06

Today I'm sharing a card I made for this week's challenge over at Create with Connie and Mary, where they have a lovely vibrant colour palette to play with; I also used the layout over at CAS(E) This Sketch:

This card gave me the perfect opportunity to make a feature of a lovely piece of Watercolour Wonder paper that I've had in my box for a while and also to try something different with the tab panel. Here is my card:

I used Calypso Coral for the base of my card, topped with a piece of Watercolour Wonder DSP. Now I know that, strictly speaking, the paper pack says that Daffodil Delight and Tangerine Tango are the feature colours in the Watercolour Wonder papers, however the watercolour effects mean that on some of the sheets the blending means that there are also opportunities to match with other colours, such as Calypso Coral for example - I just chose an area of paper that avoided the darkest orange tones so it fits perfectly with the rest of my card. I cut my inverted banner from a piece of Bermuda Bay cardstock and used a 1 1/4" circle and the Label Bracket punch to create the Daffodil Delight aperture to showcase my Petite Petals flower - I've been wanting to use this framing idea ever since I saw it on one of Connie Babbert's cards a while ago (you can see Connie's original card here). I also stamped my 'hello' sentiment in Versamark and heat embossed in Whisper White. Lastly, I stamped my flower in Calypso Coral on some Whisper White cardstock and finished it with a Bermuda Bay candy dot.

I really like how this card turned out; I almost stamped a sentiment onto the DSP instead of the banner, but in hindsight I'm really glad I didn't - I love that the watercoloured panel is on show and uninterrupted by any other stamping or design.

Back tomorrow with another project and this week's new Wednesday weekly deals; until then, happy stampin'!

Tina Batori
Tina BatoriUnited States
5/14/2014 12:26:02 AM #

I think I like your aperture embellishment even better than Connie's.  I'm definitely going to be CASEing this one.  By the way, my mother's family comes from Dorset and I have cousins living in Hampshire.  Haven't visited for nearly 10 years but can't wait to go back.  Cheers,  Tina

5/14/2014 11:14:34 AM #

Hi Tina - that's a compliment indeed!! Happy CASEing too. Dorset is a lovely part of the UK - a lovely place to visit and I've had many lovely holidays in that part of the world too! Feel free to look me up next time you're visiting Smile

Deb
DebUnited States
5/14/2014 4:12:55 AM #

This is so pretty! I love the designer paper you used! It is so soft! And the focal point is such a clever idea! I love it! Thanks for playing the challenge at Create with Connie and Mary!

5/14/2014 11:16:06 AM #

Thanks Deb - I find the paper almost mesmerising the way the colours almost drift on the paper. The focal point was just right to bring in that pop of Bermuda Bay colour too.

Melissa L Davies
Melissa L DaviesUnited States
5/14/2014 11:37:19 AM #

I love what you did with the punches! I will definitely be CASing that! Thanks for joining us in the color challenge this week at Create with Connie and Mary!

5/14/2014 9:27:35 PM #

So glad you like it Melissa! It provided a great focal point for my card this week x

Mary Brown
Mary BrownUnited States
5/14/2014 12:48:40 PM #

Oh my...this is sooooooo sweet and simple!  I love how you did the punch out in the banner and that is my favorite way to use the Label Bracket punch...it just looks so cool turned like that!  Thanks for playing along this week in the Create with Connie and Mary Thursday Challenge!

5/14/2014 9:31:50 PM #

I agree Mary - the first time I saw the punch turned on Connie's card, it took me a while to figure out what she'd used, it looks so different! Great colours and DT cards this week over at CCMC.

Connie Babbert
Connie BabbertUnited States
5/14/2014 6:46:03 PM #

I love that label layering with the Petite Petals flower...I need to remember to make it again some time!  Such a sweet card...great way to use up that background DSP...perfect!  Thanks for playing along with the color challenge this week on Create with Connie and Mary!

5/14/2014 9:32:59 PM #

All credit to you Connie - it blew me away the first time I saw it, the turn and punch out totally changes the look and use of that punch! So glad you like my card.

Margaret Raburn
Margaret RaburnUnited States
5/15/2014 5:29:53 AM #

I too am glad you left the designer paper unstamped because your card is just stunning this way!  Love the aperture treatment on the banner to showcase the flower and sentiment!  Thanks for joining us at Create with Connie and Mary this week!

5/16/2014 6:13:55 PM #

Glad you agree Margaret - some things are better left alone! Great CCMC DT cards this week, as always.

Leigh Penner
Leigh PennerCanada
5/15/2014 7:29:57 PM #

Oh, this is so pretty! Wonderful take on the sketch!

5/16/2014 6:14:35 PM #

Thanks Leigh - a little scary leaving so much blank space, so glad you like it!

donna mikasa
donna mikasaUnited States
5/17/2014 12:29:41 AM #

Perfect take on the sketch! Good idea to place the sentiment on the banner and showcase the beautiful ombré background!

5/18/2014 7:03:24 PM #

Thanks Donna - I love a good sketch challenge!

Current July hostess code:

PTWMKJED

Host In June And Get Extra Rewards

Shop or host a party in June to get an extra £20 Stampin' Rewards with sales of £200+. Read more here